Second-class citizen?

Full story: Eureka Times Standard

All I wanted for Christmas was my civil rights back. California's adopted citizens are discriminated against and denied the simple human right to look at their own birth certificates -- a right all others take for granted.
Comments
41 - 46 of 46 Comments Last updated Mar 23, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mara

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Malama-Congratulations, your story is unfortunately NOT THE NORM. Give yourself a pat on the back for being EXTRA SPECIAL.

Mr. Bill people like you are the reason abortions are so common. Who would want to have a child that came out so ugly?

PS: My mother never contemplated abortion but I bet yours did. FAIL.
Adopted in California

New Albany, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
Stephanie, I just traced my lineage and I am a direct descendant from the Mayflower too!!
By sealing my records, not only were we robbed of our birthright to our amazing family heritage but these ancestral heroes were robbed of having US as their legacy!:-)
Gaye Tannenbaum wrote:
While I'm pleased that some Massachusetts-born adoptees have had their rights restored, please note that if you were born or adopted between July 18, 1974 and December 31, 2007, you have no rights.
Can anyone explain how this is NOT discrimination?
I am also a Mayflower descendant. However, I am having trouble being approved by the various Mayflower (and specific passenger) societies because I cannot provide a BIRTH CERTIFICATE. I have been happily reunited for nearly a decade. My father (biological) told me about our ancestry. A great cousin (biological) who is a member of the Mayflower society encouraged me to join. I attempted to obtain a copy of my birth certificate via a court petition, which is the only option in the county in California in which I was adopted. My petition was denied for "lack of good cause."

Parents who give up their children for adoption (or otherwise lose their parental rights) cannot be assured that a legal adoption will be finalized. If one is not finalized, there is NO SEALED RECORD. How then, can anyone suggest that sealing birth records has anything to do with "birthparent anonymity?" The records don't seal upon relinquishment. They don't seal when a child is placed with a family. They ONLY seal if and when a legal adoption is finalized by the court. The sealed records are about the adoption, not about the relinquishment.

Further, adopted citizens are the ONLY citizens in 44 states who don't have the right to unfettered access of their own, actual birth certificates. That is discrimination. All other issues are separate. Taking away a societal segment's equal rights out of fear of other circumstances possibly occurring doesn't make it okay. A lot of people were frightened of the ramifications of women getting the vote or of the Civil Rights Act, but do we not consider legal equality above that? Other issues can and should be handled on an individual basis.
Adopted in California

New Albany, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

TRUTH wrote:
People give up children for all sorts of reasons. They were promise anonymity and the system should uphold their rights.

<quoted text>
They were not promised anonymity under the law. It's impossible to promise them anonymity under our laws. Records began sealing in the 1930s, and anonymity had nothing to do with it. If it was about anonymity, the records would seal upon relinquishment. If it was about anonymity, they would seal whether there was an adoption or not. If it was about anonymity, there would be no provision for unsealing them.(There are provisions for unsealing via the courts. If a petition to unseal is granted, the birth parents are NOT notified.)

The reality is this. The records do not seal upon relinquishment. They do not seal when a child is placed with a family. They only seal if and when a legal adoption is finalized by the court. This can be six months or longer - or never. If a child remains in foster care and ages out, the original birth certificate never sealed. In fact, it is the relinquished person's only legal birth certificate, and always has been.

How does any of this point to a "promise of anonymity" to the birth parents? It does not.

“I CURSE NO MAN”

Since: Jul 10

NOR SEEK REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2010

I am looking for Sir Spud...has anyone seen him? He is wasting my time thinking I would come back just to play his little games with him.
AZEL 78

Clayton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2010

AZEL MANNING wrote:
I am looking for Sir Spud...has anyone seen him? He is wasting my time thinking I would come back just to play his little games with him.
SIR SPUD HAS ARRIVED ALAN S SHOLE/NATASFONOS/STUPID LIBTARDS. YES THE REAL AZEL MANNIN DID GET REVENGE FOR THE REAL DAMAGE DONE TO HIM WITHOUT PUTTING A FINGER ON THE PEOPLE.
HE PUT CURSES ON THEM AND THEY DIED ALAN. SIR SPUD.

“I CURSE NO MAN”

Since: Jul 10

NOR SEEK REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

WHY DO YOU BLASPHEME MY GOOD NAME? I HAVE MORE POWER DEAD THAN I EVER DID WHEN I LIVED. YOU ARE NOT FIT TO WEAR MY NAME, LARRY. YOU ARE INSANe.
AZEL 78 wrote:
<quoted text> SIR SPUD HAS ARRIVED ALAN S SHOLE/NATASFONOS/STUPID LIBTARDS. YES THE REAL AZEL MANNIN DID GET REVENGE FOR THE REAL DAMAGE DONE TO HIM WITHOUT PUTTING A FINGER ON THE PEOPLE.
HE PUT CURSES ON THEM AND THEY DIED ALAN. SIR SPUD.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Genealogy Discussions

Search the Genealogy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Doubts arise over history of Galena's Murder Bo... (May '13) Sun Pete 17
Hetty Green's ways similar to Buffett's (Aug '12) Jul 25 SLIF 7
Tahiti: Looking for lost family? (Jun '07) Jul 24 Suzy V-L 56
Internet Indexing Library Collections/Systems: ... Jul 21 Thomas Milton Tinney Sr 1
A Clear Definition of Genealogy and Genealogist... Jul 13 Thomas Milton Tinney Sr 1
Find out if you're related to someone famous (Oct '07) Jun '14 Nothing 149
The gate to Kern Place: Bizarre, ornate, mystic... Jun '14 L Morales 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
Seattle Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••