Bartolomei Vineyards: Living on the land

Full story: The Ukiah Daily Journal

Bartolomei roots run deep in the valley known these days by the Italian family's name.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Nov 27, 2013
Writing

Ukiah, CA

#1 Nov 21, 2010
I read the first four paragraphs and lost interest. Who in gods name reads this tripe.

The vast majority couldn't care less about the roots of the latest wine nouveau riches. This article would be better suited to some sort of genealogical website, not a newspaper article?

Is Heidi Cusick Dickerson a professional writer or a volunteer?
Liz

Ridgecrest, CA

#2 Nov 22, 2010
So don't read it but show respect for those families whose roots are very deep in the Ukiah area. My roots go back to 1860 when my adoptive grandparents' relatives settled in Potter Valley and were the Vanns and Neils. My adoptive dad's side,the Dauts, hit Cold Creek in 1919. Bio Parents hit Potter Valley in 1920 (Hickeys) and Ukiah in 1931 (Hairs). To me this is fascinating because I went to school with 2 Bartomeis,Ron and Robert (Bobby), I believe. We graduated with the Class of 1971. Who are you to decide what the majority thinks? Nouveau riche? I don't think so. They have been around for decades and have led honorable lives and were responsible citizens. Your comments tell me you are new to the area. Think before you denigrate something just because you personally don't like it.
look it up

United States

#3 Nov 22, 2010
Ho Ho
How many illegal workers have these people who drive around in their pickup trucks and watch others work, hired over the years??? Have any of them spent 12 hours in the hot sun caring for their own fields??

I don't think so.

Lets not rave about how wonderful these phonies are.
creekside

United States

#4 Nov 22, 2010
look it up wrote:
**** How many illegal workers have these people who drive around in their pickup trucks and watch others work, hired over the years??? Have any of them spent 12 hours in the hot sun caring for their own fields??
I don't think so.
You are really out of touch.-- These guys work everyday rain or shine to make a meger living growing a crop of grapes. They prune all winter long and when it raining they work in there shop on there eqiupment readying it for spring. When spring arrives they have long days tilling the ground driving tractor and at times are all night protecting there crop from the frost. There is the tying of the vine and then at times thinning of the crop, irrigation ect.... and if all goes well a full crop of marketable grapes that hopefully have a home in a winery. I know for a fact these boys do as much work as they can themselfs and only hire others when the work load is to great. These farmers work hard to make living in a very tough industry. The comments from above entry are mearly the expression of a very uneducated, mean spirited and none wine drinker with bone to pick with someone else.
look it up

United States

#5 Nov 22, 2010
creekside wrote:
<quoted text> You are really out of touch.-- These guys work everyday rain or shine to make a meger living growing a crop of grapes. They prune all winter long and when it raining they work in there shop on there eqiupment readying it for spring. When spring arrives they have long days tilling the ground driving tractor and at times are all night protecting there crop from the frost. There is the tying of the vine and then at times thinning of the crop, irrigation ect.... and if all goes well a full crop of marketable grapes that hopefully have a home in a winery. I know for a fact these boys do as much work as they can themselfs and only hire others when the work load is to great. These farmers work hard to make living in a very tough industry. The comments from above entry are mearly the expression of a very uneducated, mean spirited and none wine drinker with bone to pick with someone else.
Are you saying that these guys never knowingly hire illegals???
An that they don't make their living on the backs of illegals?
If they did the work themselves they would only be able to farm about 10 acres each.
Go ahead, prune 10 acres this winter and see how many man-hours it takes.
youidiot

Hayward, CA

#6 Nov 22, 2010
Writing wrote:
I read the first four paragraphs and lost interest. Who in gods name reads this tripe.
The vast majority couldn't care less about the roots of the latest wine nouveau riches. This article would be better suited to some sort of genealogical website, not a newspaper article?
Is Heidi Cusick Dickerson a professional writer or a volunteer?
The vast majority couldn't care less about your opinion you idiot. Your comments speak big about what kind of person you are.

Since: Oct 10

Ukiah, CA

#7 Nov 22, 2010
Bad choice to rip one of Heidi's wine pieces. Now if it was Goldeneye or maybe Roederer that would be different, but the Bartolomei's are just small time local farmers with out the high-end wine country pretensions.
creekside

United States

#8 Nov 22, 2010
Look it up. Yes I have pruned plenty of acres,harvested, drove tractor,dug ditches, irrigated ect...I suggest maybe you do the same and then you would have a great deal more respect for the struggling small family farms are throughout our county and state. You ca stick eating crops that are machine picked and with low labor inputs like nut crops. For the most part it takes the human hand to produce much of what we consume.
Look it up

United States

#9 Nov 22, 2010
creekside wrote:
Look it up. Yes I have pruned plenty of acres,harvested, drove tractor,dug ditches, irrigated ect...I suggest maybe you do the same and then you would have a great deal more respect for the struggling small family farms are throughout our county and state. You ca stick eating crops that are machine picked and with low labor inputs like nut crops. For the most part it takes the human hand to produce much of what we consume.
I have a lot of respect for small grape farmers who hire no illegals.
Someday I hope to meet one.
cascarsmom

Mill Valley, CA

#10 Nov 22, 2010
look it up wrote:
**** How many illegal workers have these people who drive around in their pickup trucks and watch others work, hired over the years??? Have any of them spent 12 hours in the hot sun caring for their own fields??
I don't think so.
Actaully you are wayyyyyy off! They all work hard and treat their workers with the utmost respect. My son worked for them during the harvest and was paid a fair wage--he worked right beside the family sometimes for long hours! I suggest before you make ASSumptions about a family and how they treat their workers you KNOW the FACTS!
Bryan Cooper

Rohnert Park, CA

#11 Nov 27, 2013
Our wine shop sells Zinfandel wine made with Bartolomei grapes here in Sonoma County. A great wine clearly shows the care of the vineyard manager. Thank you for sharing your family's story of hard farm work and respect for the land.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Genealogy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Northwest African American Museum: What to ... Aug 25 Zombie Corpse Rental 1
EASTER HOUSE ADOPTEES please post here Aug 23 EASTERHOUSEADOPTEEs 1
Jeremy? Benjamin ? are you adopted and looki... Aug 19 whatever 1
Any 60,s 70,s cook county ILLINOIS adoptee ma... Aug 19 whatever 1
GenForum will be a read only format starting Se... Aug 12 leavehimalone 2
All DNA Traces Back to Original African Black M... (Jun '09) Aug 9 arp13 1,104
Doubts arise over history of Galena's Murder Bo... (May '13) Jul '14 Pete 17
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Genealogy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••