Calling all volunteers: St. Clair County cemetery needs clean-up crew

Oct 17, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Belleville News Democrat

The St. Clair County Historic Cemetery Preservation Association is planning to clean up Flat Creek Cemetery at 9 a.m. Oct.

Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Oct 29, 2011
Laser Lady

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2011

This cemetery has been neglected and shamefully vandalized over the years. People have dumped furniture (including old mattresses) and trash in it, partied in it, and some of the tombstones (including one of a Civil War Buffalo Soldier) have been broken and moved around to make a fire pits and boxing ring. It does not reflect well on Dupo and East Carondelet that it has been treated with such disrespect, and as a Dupo native, I am one of the people trying to change that.

Please come out and help us with our clean-up - it really is an interesting place!

Since: Sep 08

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2011

Judged:

Laser Lady wrote:
This cemetery has been neglected and shamefully vandalized over the years. People have dumped furniture (including old mattresses) and trash in it, partied in it, and some of the tombstones (including one of a Civil War Buffalo Soldier) have been broken and moved around to make a fire pits and boxing ring. It does not reflect well on Dupo and East Carondelet that it has been treated with such disrespect, and as a Dupo native, I am one of the people trying to change that.
Please come out and help us with our clean-up - it really is an interesting place!
Good luck! I hope you get some help. It is a shame.
justwondering

Port Huron, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2011

what cemetery are you talkin about, in the woods behind adams road?
opud

East Saint Louis, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2011

Judged:

behind opies house
justwondering

Port Huron, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2011

still not foresure where that is. dupo or ec
Laser Lady

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2011

Judged:

justwondering wrote:
what cemetery are you talkin about, in the woods behind adams road?
That's the one!

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2011

I actually don't know where its even at but i will help if needed. Sad that something so old gets destroyed..Let me know M
dupo property

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2011

Judged:

why dont they take some of the money the waste on dumb shit and help with this.oh it's not 4 them.
Laser Lady

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2011

katiania wrote:
I actually don't know where its even at but i will help if needed. Sad that something so old gets destroyed..Let me know M
Thanks, Kat! I'll send you a message on FB.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2011

Laser Lady wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Kat! I'll send you a message on FB.
Ok. Thanks
Laser Lady

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2011

I'm just bringing this to the top again. I stopped by the cemetery this evening to check on the ground conditions, and everything looks good for clearing out tomorrow morning. We will meet at the Flat Creek Baptist Church a little before 9:00 a.m. and will head out to the cemetery from there, working until around noon. There will be a shuttle available from the church to the cemetery so we don't blocking up the streets and roads with a lot of cars.

If you would like to come out and help (which we would REALLY appreciate), please be sure to wear clothing that would be appropriate for working in tall weeds, such as long sleeves, long pants and tennis shoes or boots. You might also want to bring gardening gloves, a lawn chair (we won't be cracking any whips), and any tools that you might use for working in an overgrown yard. If you have a weed eater or chainsaw that you're handy with, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks, and hope to see you there!
Laser Lady

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2011

Oops! I guess I should add that Flat Creek Baptist Church is in East Carondelet, IL. To get there, go across the railroad tracks at the stop light in the middle of Dupo and go straight. The church is located at 902 State Street and is on the right hand side of the road across the side street from the Post Office.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2011

Laser Lady wrote:
Oops! I guess I should add that Flat Creek Baptist Church is in East Carondelet, IL. To get there, go across the railroad tracks at the stop light in the middle of Dupo and go straight. The church is located at 902 State Street and is on the right hand side of the road across the side street from the Post Office.
Since im not from here i might get lost but LL u got my number i will be walking there
Laser Lady

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2011

katiania wrote:
<quoted text>
Since im not from here i might get lost but LL u got my number i will be walking there
I left you my number on FB, too. Give me a call and I'll come pick you up!
Laser Lady

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2011

We made great progress on the cemetery this morning! Thank you to everyone who came out to help! Weather permitting, we will do it again on November 12. Hope to see you there!
I know

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2011

Laser Lady wrote:
This is really a nice thing that you are doing. The world needs more people like you. It is nice to see more postive posts on topix.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2011

Judged:

Laser Lady wrote:
We made great progress on the cemetery this morning! Thank you to everyone who came out to help! Weather permitting, we will do it again on November 12. Hope to see you there!
Its was very nice meeting all those people and helping. Sad thing is i never knew it was there.Since im not from there. I think every Saturday if im not busy i might grab some friends and do it again. It needs to be taken care of better. Those people that are buried there may be gone from us but they deserve respect. Thanks again M for this..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••