Former African-American School in Way...

Former African-American School in Waynesboro Holds Reunion

There are 10 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jul 19, 2013, titled Former African-American School in Waynesboro Holds Reunion. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Former students from Rosenwald High School in Waynesboro are celebrating its history as the city's African-American high school from 1926 to 1965.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Bob Cordon

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jul 20, 2013
I don't understand why you bother making a big fuss over heavy thunderstorms coming in ahead of this magical cool front; look at your radar: There ARE NO thunderstorms. I live in the city; not one drop of rain the ENTIRE day. No thunderstorms: no cool front. I wish we had someone who could forecast cville weather correctly.
yep

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jul 20, 2013
Back when these guys were in school they were called colored people, since then they have had so many names. I think it's pc to call them african-american now.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jul 21, 2013
yep wrote:
Back when these guys were in school they were called colored people, since then they have had so many names. I think it's pc to call them african-american now.
african-american is such a mouthful
obama spent half of his speech the other day saying african-american, someone should come up with an short and sweet pc acronym
how bout AA?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jul 21, 2013
or 2A
rolls of the tongue easier
Albemarle Patriot

Martinsville, VA

#5 Jul 21, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
obama spent half of his speech the other day saying african-american, someone should come up with an short and sweet pc acronym
how bout AA?
It's not that hard for most people to say. I suggest you enroll in speech therapy classes.
Bob

Ferrum, VA

#6 Jul 21, 2013
It's nice to see an article such as this one without the usual lectures on slavery, Jim Crow, segregation, etc.
Pen

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jul 21, 2013
How about just calling them black? I'm sure none of the people in attendance have ever even been to Africa. I'm not sure why black is so offensive. Is white offensive too?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jul 21, 2013
Pen wrote:
How about just calling them black? I'm sure none of the people in attendance have ever even been to Africa. I'm not sure why black is so offensive. Is white offensive too?
I thought black was pc.
I don't know why the Pres felt African-American was more pc (maybe cause he's black?)
It's not that I can't say it, it just takes forever compared to a one syllable word, and he musta repeated it at least 30 times. I thought he was trying to hypnotize me.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jul 21, 2013
or lull me into a false sense of security :)
WTH

Waynesboro, VA

#10 Jul 21, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
how bout AA?
Well, it would be nice to call 'them' just 'Americans' but for some reason, the very thing 'they' have wanted for so long is just not good enough so 'they' want to be called something 'distinct' like 'African American' or 'Black'. Quite frankly, I really don't know how to identify so I just don't say anything (but then that makes everyone mad too)
lol
too much....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Genealogy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Searching the past (Apr '10) Thu Down farts 5
News Peotone Town Chatter (Jul '12) Jul 23 jim k 17
News Genealogy Query - DAVIES : HENRY Jul 7 joanNYadoptees 1
News Patriotic legacies: Mississippians trace their ... Jul 4 Independence 4
Attn: Birth parents and Adoptees - Reunite at Jun '15 joanNYadoptees 1
NJ Adoptee female DOB 8/27/63 "Nancy Ann" Jun '15 joanNYadoptees 2
News Genealogy Query - KELP : RADAKER Jun '15 joanNYadoptees 1
More from around the web