Victims of midair collision honored | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch
Fifty years to the day after two airliners collided over New York City, relatives of some of the 134 victims gathered yesterday to share memories of their loved ones at the unveiling of an 8-foot monument. Full Story
Jerry Corrodi

Columbus, OH

#1 Dec 17, 2010
Bobby Connell, a great swimmer at Bexley High School, was aboard the TWA flight, also.4315
Joe

Columbus, OH

#2 Dec 17, 2010
Honored for what? All they were doing was sitting in a plane. I bet a lot of people died in car crashes too that day, and of cancer. Why not a statue for everyone? What makes a death more significant just because it happened in a group?
ThinkB4UWrite

Westerville, OH

#3 Dec 17, 2010
Joe wrote:
Honored for what? All they were doing was sitting in a plane. I bet a lot of people died in car crashes too that day, and of cancer. Why not a statue for everyone? What makes a death more significant just because it happened in a group?
Because most people have something called "hearts." Living people that is.
Biggie BC

Mentor, OH

#4 Dec 17, 2010
Joe wrote:
It's a big deal because it was the first significant accident of the jet age. Also, we tend to emphasize events that are fifty years old, kind of like your anniversary or birthday. Any anniversary with a zero on the end.

Human nature, I guess.
See what happens

Westerville, OH

#5 Dec 18, 2010
See What happens when people are left to their own devices? I am talking to you " Joe." They gather around the crash scene: mutter a few "gee that's too bads" and go about their lives. That's why a physical reminder is necessary. Just look at the very nice collection of responses to the front page story from earlier in the week...and look at the responses to this follow up. Just a case in point in why memorials are necessary. They are not for the masses of people who don't care to remember.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Genealogy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legacy of famous Texas frontier family thrives Sat WorkerBees 1
Ideal Maternity Home survivor finds his roots Dec 2 joan of NYadoptees 1
EASTER HOUSE ADOPTEES please post here Nov '14 joanNYadoptees 3
RSS body seeks to prove Indian Muslims are Hindus Nov '14 Yupp111 3
Solving Family Mysteries (Oct '13) Oct '14 Alti2de 3
Oakville Votes: Ann Harvey Hope, Oakville Halto... Oct '14 can we trust trus... 1
Genealogy Query - HAUGHTON (May '08) Sep '14 Winson Saw 3
More from around the web