Tahiti: Looking for lost family?

May 10, 2007 Full story: tracingthetribe.blogspot.com 56
I recently learned about Judeocite, a French-language Web site devoted to Jewish matters.One interesting article is about the Jewish community in Tahiti. Who knew? via Tracing the Tribe. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
william bates

Broadbeach, Australia

#45 Feb 5, 2012
kayla witchman wrote:
My family are the same wichmans but my great grandad changed it to witchman just before he died because he was wealthy and people used to tick up on his shop tab and he kept getting bills so he changed our last name to witchman
Who was your great grandfather and where was the shop
william bates

Broadbeach, Australia

#46 Feb 5, 2012
who was your great grandfather and where was his shop
Leif Bambridge

Perth, Australia

#47 Feb 15, 2012
David Bambridge wrote:
In the 1800's when my family came to Canada, a GGrandfathers brother went to the south pacific. My father always told me Tahiti. Any input appreciated,
David My Dad told me same story My G-G -Grandfather was one of at least 4 bros. who left Eng.one to Canada one to Australia one to Tahiti one to somewhere else Also something about a Bakery in London & the name was Anglicised from BAMBURGER ( BAMBURG IN GERMANY) about the same time as our awe-inspiring royal family changed theirs from SAX-COBURG to WINDSOR ps I know there is a big mob of Bambridges in Tahiti I reckon we are 4th or5th cousins
william bates

Brisbane, Australia

#48 Feb 15, 2012
Leif Bambridge wrote:
<quoted text>
David My Dad told me same story My G-G -Grandfather was one of at least 4 bros. who left Eng.one to Canada one to Australia one to Tahiti one to somewhere else Also something about a Bakery in London & the name was Anglicised from BAMBURGER ( BAMBURG IN GERMANY) about the same time as our awe-inspiring royal family changed theirs from SAX-COBURG to WINDSOR ps I know there is a big mob of Bambridges in Tahiti I reckon we are 4th or5th cousins
My Great grandfather x4 was Thomas Bambridge who was sentenced and shipped to Australia in 1819, and left there around 1825 went to Tonga with missionaries and then ended up in Tahiti,if you think he is related to your side please let me know
ReneeL

Hamilton, New Zealand

#49 Aug 17, 2012
william bates wrote:
<quoted text>
My Great grandfather x4 was Thomas Bambridge who was sentenced and shipped to Australia in 1819, and left there around 1825 went to Tonga with missionaries and then ended up in Tahiti,if you think he is related to your side please let me know
Okay I've been researching my mother Anna Bates , family tree and it is quite confusing.Her Grandparents were "William .W. Bates + Mere (Mary) Teupoo Wichman.I cannot find who William.W.Bates descendants are at all as Bates is a common surname.But I found out Mary Wichman is daughter of "Teupoo Onarriote Georges Wichman" + "Aravei Tetuanui Paraurahi" .Teupoo Wichman was son of "Henry Tiniura Wichman + "Marie Marvahine Mere Taie" 2nd marriage of 4 for Henry, he had many children in all 4 marriages , that's why It's hard to find our family!"Henry was son of Georges William Vairaae Wichman + Martha Pepi Bambridge.Martha's parents "Thomas Bambridge" + "Marae O'Connor" 1st marriage for Thomas.He apparently was from England , was an ex-convict in Australia, ended up and Tahiti...

This is all based on online research, I don't actually have documents or photos or anything.Im just as clueless as everyone else
Sarah

Honolulu, HI

#50 Oct 17, 2012
Hori wrote:
Recently found out that I am of Tahitian decent and my Tahitian family name is Hori.
I'm also looking for someone special in tahiti.
My email. Glittershawaii@gmail.com
William Bates

Brisbane, Australia

#51 Oct 17, 2012
ReneeL wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay I've been researching my mother Anna Bates , family tree and it is quite confusing.Her Grandparents were "William .W. Bates + Mere (Mary) Teupoo Wichman.I cannot find who William.W.Bates descendants are at all as Bates is a common surname.But I found out Mary Wichman is daughter of "Teupoo Onarriote Georges Wichman" + "Aravei Tetuanui Paraurahi" .Teupoo Wichman was son of "Henry Tiniura Wichman + "Marie Marvahine Mere Taie" 2nd marriage of 4 for Henry, he had many children in all 4 marriages , that's why It's hard to find our family!"Henry was son of Georges William Vairaae Wichman + Martha Pepi Bambridge.Martha's parents "Thomas Bambridge" + "Marae O'Connor" 1st marriage for Thomas.He apparently was from England , was an ex-convict in Australia, ended up and Tahiti...
This is all based on online research, I don't actually have documents or photos or anything.Im just as clueless as everyone else
Hi Anna
it sounds like you are one of my first cousins daughters

if so your mum and your aunty are twins Anna and Mary

if this is the case and you wish to know more,contact me at w_raiatea@yahoo.com.au
Piri Marearai

Auckland, New Zealand

#52 Nov 20, 2012
Kia orana, I am the grand daughter of Ngaitemate Rikiiti of Tamarua, Mangaia, Cook Islands. And is in search of my grandmothers brother who is known by the name of "Atarore Rikiiti"

We the Rikiiti family believe that he had journeyed on to somewhere in the French Polynesian islands, due to working at the phosphate minerals and however never to return again.

We would gratefully appreciate any information of either his where a bout's or if he has children/ family of his own that we could reconnect too.

thank you ma'ata

Piri Marearai

email: piritupuna@hotmail.com
Kimberley da Silva

New Zealand

#53 Dec 2, 2012
Kiaora tautau
We've been trying to locate our great grandmother for some time with no luck. She was Polly Tobouch and and come from Tahiti around 1860 to New Zealand. Her marriage certificate identifies that she came from the Island of Tikeleu in the South Pacific, but we've been unable to locate where this Island is - maybe it was mispelt? Rumour is that she was French/Tahitian and was illegitimate, coming to New Zealand after being purchased by the Silvada family of Great Barrier Island. Any ideas on where I could start looking would be fantastic?
Kimberley
Mary Bates

Wellington, New Zealand

#54 Jan 5, 2013
Hi Renee,

I am your Aunty Mary your Mum's sister. I have the information you are seeking. I have just created a website so you can look at this information. Your grand aunties/uncles have supplied a lot of information including photos, birth certificates etc. William Bates if I am correct is your grandfather's sister. She lives in Auckland.

Please email at tioremere12@gmail.com if you are interested....

Hey Bill, when you are back in NZ let me know, as we are currently setting up a private website for Bates Family.
ReneeL wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay I've been researching my mother Anna Bates , family tree and it is quite confusing.Her Grandparents were "William .W. Bates + Mere (Mary) Teupoo Wichman.I cannot find who William.W.Bates descendants are at all as Bates is a common surname.But I found out Mary Wichman is daughter of "Teupoo Onarriote Georges Wichman" + "Aravei Tetuanui Paraurahi" .Teupoo Wichman was son of "Henry Tiniura Wichman + "Marie Marvahine Mere Taie" 2nd marriage of 4 for Henry, he had many children in all 4 marriages , that's why It's hard to find our family!"Henry was son of Georges William Vairaae Wichman + Martha Pepi Bambridge.Martha's parents "Thomas Bambridge" + "Marae O'Connor" 1st marriage for Thomas.He apparently was from England , was an ex-convict in Australia, ended up and Tahiti...
This is all based on online research, I don't actually have documents or photos or anything.Im just as clueless as everyone else
Willie Exham wichman

Liverpool, Australia

#55 Feb 6, 2013
this the man you got to talk to is Bambrdge(Mickey) lives in Sydney, 15/10 Bunting Street,Emerton NSW.2770.
willie exham wichman wrote:
kia ora everone we have just finished bambridge wichman reunion an one name that keeps popping up is Minee Wichman daughter of Henry an tetuuanui wichman from tahiti minee had 2 brothers william and taira.When henry and tetuanui left tahiti for rarotonga the 3 children were left there to be broughtup by whanau has anybody got any information on minee and her mother tetuanui who is my great grandmother please forward it me
willie2@slingshot.co.nz kindest regards
willie exham wichman
Nancy

Santa Rosa, CA

#57 Oct 9, 2013
Does anyone know of the family of Punuari'i Teihotu, who had the Hotel Royal Bora Bora, about 50 years ago, in Vaitape, Bora Bora? He had several sons and daughters...Would like to kknow if they are still there. Thanks.
Darlene Wichman

Sydney, Australia

#59 Jan 12, 2014
william bates wrote:
<quoted text>
Who was your great grandfather and where was the shop
Hi I'm a Wichman whose your grand dad?
K Morrison

Los Alamitos, CA

#60 Apr 5, 2014
My grandfather lived in Tahiti during 1931-32. When he got back to the mainland he found out he had fathered a child. The boy would have been born around 1932. My grandfather's last name was Beam. Any Beams in Tahiti?
Thanks
William Bates

Avarua, Cook Islands

#61 Apr 5, 2014
Darlene Wichman wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi I'm a Wichman whose your grand dad?
Hi my Grand dad was William Bates,and my Grandmother was Mary Teupoo Wichmann
Suzy V-L

Brea, CA

#63 Jul 24, 2014
Hulali Mohi wrote:
Aloha, ive always known that my family was from Huahine, Tahiti but as hard as i try i can not find them. I have recently found the name of my great grandfather who sailed to Hawai'i on the "Active" ship. His name is Matapu'upu'u Tau'a, a missionary from Huahine. Pleas help me.
Aloha, Did you find your answer? I know some of Tau'a the missionary from Tahiti as I am also a descendent in Hawai'i. If you would like to exchange information reply to this post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Genealogy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oakville Votes: Ann Harvey Hope, Oakville Halto... Oct 6 can we trust trus... 1
Genealogy Query - HAUGHTON (May '08) Sep '14 Winson Saw 3
Cook County adoptees please post here Sep '14 joanNYadoptees 2
Genealogy Query - ATKINSON : JAMES : LOONEY : R... (Apr '08) Sep '14 kathy 2
EASTER HOUSE ADOPTEES please post here Sep '14 whatever 2
Cal Thomas - 'Finding Your Roots' Sep '14 joanNYadoptees 1
Volunteers help restore Evergreen Cemetery in S... Sep '14 AnnoN 1

Genealogy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE