Boy Scouts of America Commemorative Coin - Coin News

Apr 28, 2008 | Posted by: coinhobbyist | Full story: www.coinnews.net

A new House bill recently introduced to celebrate the centennial of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) with the minting of a commemorate silver dollar has exceptionally strong bipartisan support.

Rep Pete Sessions [R-TX] introduced the new bill on April 22, 2008. The bill looks to be soundly popular with an already 296 cosponsors lined up to provide their early signature for the "100 Years of Scouting" commemorative coin.

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Feb 14, 2009
Fred Goodwin

Dallas, TX

#1 May 2, 2008
Im not a coin collector, but I am a Scout volunteer, and I think this is a wonderful way to celebrate 100 years of the Boy Scouts of America. Rep. Sessions is also sponsoring a letter to the Postal Service asking them to issue a 100th Anniversary of BSA commemorative stamp.

2010 will certainly be a special year for the Boy Scouts of America!

“Numismatics 101”

Since: Feb 08

Gardner, Massachusetts

#2 May 3, 2008
Great Britain has issued a 50 Pence coin honoring the Scouts also.
Mathew Goldstein

Alexandria, VA

#3 May 22, 2008
Was the Great Britain 50 Pence coin sold at a surcharge with the profits going to Boy Scouts? The U.S. commemorative coins, if sold out, will raise $3.5 million for the theists only BSA.
Fender

Winter Haven, FL

#4 Jul 8, 2008
I have no problem with the Boy Scouts, I was one for awhile. I could not be associated with the group now because they discriminate against athiests, which I am, and gays, which I am not. As a private group they have the right to discriminate. As a private organisation that practices descrimination, they should not be given any money from the government. Since they are a religious group this seems to violate church and state clause.

“Numismatics 101”

Since: Feb 08

Gardner, Massachusetts

#5 Jul 24, 2008
I don't know if the Brit coin has a surcharge or not. I also agree with Fender, they also discriminate against kids without Father's, as I was raised by my Mother. They have all kinds of Father & Son events, which left me out of most activities so I eventually quit.
Scout

Anchorage, AK

#6 Nov 14, 2008
How about this:
The Boy Scouts buy all 350K of the coins at the mint price, re-sell them at whatever price they want for the fund-raising effort? No liberal toes stepped on, Uncle Sam makes the same money and the Scouts could probably get a lot more than the extra $10. each, as well as a lesson in how business and marketing works. Free enterprise is always better than a government handout anyway! By the way, the "church and state" clause was put there to keep the state out of the church's business, not to keep the church out of the state's business.
dawzu

Broken Arrow, OK

#7 Dec 28, 2008
as a scout and a coin collector i say mint on.
Jeff

Kittanning, PA

#8 Feb 14, 2009
Um, Scouting has no "official" Father & Son events, though a local unit might have them -- most of the den leaders i know are female in Cub Scouting, and the Cubmaster of the pack i'm doing a program for next week is a woman. We have female Scoutmasters and most of the troop committee chairs i know in this county are women.

Scouting does not discriminate against atheists. The Scout Oath is said at each meeting of the 11 to 18 year old bracket ("Boy Scouts"), and it's the only expectation of joining, including the words "On my honor, i will do my best, to do my duty to God and my country." No one *ever* asks you what you mean by that.

If it's so important to you to not even say the word/concept God that you or your child can't say that, then you've said you don't want to be in Scouting. I don't see how that makes us an organization which "discriminates" against atheists -- i do think it discriminatory that atheists want to force Scouting to change it's core program so as not to offend anyone feeling over sensitive.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coin Collecting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coin business observes national coin week Apr '14 cold black coffee 1
1854 Napoleon III Empereur copper coin (Jul '06) Mar '14 Gary pople 350
Opinion: Where are Jersey's - stealth' dollars? (Jan '14) Jan '14 Bobby Covert 2
Coin Mate Introduction of the new software fo... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Catamates 1
Can anyone tell me what type of coin is this!! (Oct '13) Jan '14 Frank 3
1999 georgia quarter (Nov '13) Nov '13 Chris 1
Coin collecting brings benefits for all ages (Aug '13) Aug '13 BeckonsAttore 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
Woodbridge Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Coin Collecting People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE