1965 nickel struck on silver?

1965 nickel struck on silver?

Posted in the Coin Collecting Forum

Bored in PA

York, PA

#1 Jan 29, 2009
I'm curious if anyone else has heard of a 1965 nickel struck on a 90% silver planchet? I've verified the existence of one by running a specific gravity test on the analytical balance and the measured specific gravity was 10.23 (accuracy within +/-.20). This is well above the specific gravity of copper and nickel (8.9) so I'm 100% certain it is silver. Could this have been struck on a foreign coin planchet? Does anyone know if the US was minting any foreign currencies at this size and weight in 1965? After hearing about the 2000 Maryland quarters, is it theoretically possible it could have been struck from a quarter planchet?

Since: Jan 09

Etters, PA

#2 Jan 31, 2009
i think the nickels you are talking about are the war time nickels,, the years were from 1942 thru 1967,,,i have a book that says certain dates of circulated coins are not bought by dealers for some reason
Mark

Springdale, AR

#3 Dec 18, 2012
Bored in PA wrote:
I'm curious if anyone else has heard of a 1965 nickel struck on a 90% silver planchet? I've verified the existence of one by running a specific gravity test on the analytical balance and the measured specific gravity was 10.23 (accuracy within +/-.20). This is well above the specific gravity of copper and nickel (8.9) so I'm 100% certain it is silver. Could this have been struck on a foreign coin planchet? Does anyone know if the US was minting any foreign currencies at this size and weight in 1965? After hearing about the 2000 Maryland quarters, is it theoretically possible it could have been struck from a quarter planchet?
I memory serves the wartime nickles where 35% silver
dlb

Virginia, MN

#4 Jul 31, 2013
Bored in PA wrote:
Could it be a transitional error?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coin Collecting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1854 Napoleon III Empereur copper coin (Jul '06) Feb '15 smk 354
how much is a Beni Vidi Vicious XXXVII coin wor... Feb '15 AngeliaChavez 2
napoleon III empereur 1861 (Apr '09) Jan '15 Hope This Helps You 17
News US Bullion Coin Sales for January, 2010 - Coin ... (Feb '10) Oct '14 Leachmark707 2
News Coin business observes national coin week (Apr '14) Apr '14 cold black coffee 1
News Opinion: Where are Jersey's - stealth' dollars? (Jan '14) Jan '14 Bobby Covert 2
Coin Mate Introduction of the new software fo... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Catamates 1
More from around the web