20+ years of change!! What to look for??

20+ years of change!! What to look for??

Posted in the Coin Collecting Forum

“No bs, liers & scammers!!”

Since: Sep 08

Chandler, AZ

#1 May 5, 2011
Hello. I'm thinking that it's about time to start sorting my 5 gallon jug of coins!! For more than 20 years, i've been tossing my change into this jug. I know that there are several "wheat" pennies towards the bottom. Are those special?? Basically, i'm wondering if there are any coins that I should take a closer look at before dropping into the counter/wrapper??

Thanks for any info!!
Just a suggestion

Blacklick, OH

#2 May 7, 2011
To me Wheat Cents are always keepers. Dimes and higher minted 1964 or before are 90% silver and worth quite a bit over face value.

Visit the Chandler Public Library and borrow a copy of "A Guide Book of United States Coins" aka the "Red Book". It doesn't have to be the latest edition, you're using it as a reference, not as a guide to value. It has mintages and notes on what to look out for. Depending on how involved you want to get you can search for varieties and errors too.

Chandler, AZ

#3 May 8, 2011
That's great info, thank you!! Not sure just how involved I want to get. It's a 5 gal water jug so full that a cap won't go on lol. I bet the number of hours involved for a novice to do a though check, would be staggering!! Anyways, thanks again for the helpful info!!
Just a suggestion

Blacklick, OH

#4 May 9, 2011
Definitely check for silver. A quick glance at the edges of dimes and quarters should be enough to separate silver bullion from the copper-nickel clad coins of 1965 and later. Half dollars had some silver content through 1970. Also, Canadian 10, 25 and 50 Cent coins had silver until 1968.

Chandler, AZ

#5 May 9, 2011
Thanks again!! That would definitely speed up the process. Seems as though I remember about 8 yrs ago??, there being quite a buzz about a quarter that was released? What made it different, I don't remember? I'm not even gonna start til after I get the "A Guide Book of United States Coins" and do some reading!!

Thanks again & if you think of anything else, please let me know.
Just a suggestion

Blacklick, OH

#6 May 9, 2011
RockHardinAZ wrote:
... Seems as though I remember about 8 yrs ago??, there being quite a buzz about a quarter that was released? What made it different, I don't remember?
The State Quarter program produced a couple varieties that were getting big money among collectors/investors/speculato rs. The 2004 Wisconsin and 2005 Oregon come to mind. I am not sure whether it was the P or D mintmarks coins that caused the stir.

Speaking of mintmarks the 1982 P Dime had a "No P" variety that caused quite a stir. Seems someone forgot to add the mintmark to a die and the coins made it into circulation. That will be in the Red Book.

Since: Dec 10

Marion, OH

#7 May 24, 2011
I would buy a copy of Striking It Rich With Pocket Change. It has all the errors and varieties to look for in every series.

Also, what everyone else said.
PennyLane

Lewiston, ME

#8 Sep 21, 2011
The Wisconsin D Quarter had a couple of varieties. Also, there's a "Speared Bison" 2005 Buffalo Nickel. And if you've been hanging onto Presidential Dollars, some of the earlier ones (Washington and Adams) can have double edge lettering or missing edge lettering.

"Striking It Rich With Pocket Change" is an awesome book that will definitely help you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coin Collecting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1955 ddo Aug '16 1909 S VDB 3
News Several approaches to collecting 1967 Canadian... Apr '16 Last Spike MIA 1
News There's some valuable pennies out there (Feb '07) Mar '16 Anonymous 121
1854 Napoleon III Empereur copper coin (Jul '06) Mar '16 alan 356
Numismatic (Coin Collecting) Blog (Oct '15) Oct '15 ksammut 1
Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white (Oct '15) Oct '15 Just Asking 2
Free 1943 Steel pennies from collectors stock c... (Feb '06) Sep '15 nathan 8
More from around the web