Counterfeit Seated Half Dollars Alert!!

Feb 9, 2008 | Posted by: CoinLink | Full story: www.coinlink.com

"I received the following bulletin from Ray Czahor of Cookie Jar Collectibles, and we agreed that it should be reprinted in the E-Gobrecht. I was just talking to a good friend in Manila Philippines this morning ...

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Sep 9, 2009
Jim Archibald

Lexington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the rest of the story? details, details, details! Ray Czahor and I are long time friends, and I respect him as a numismatist. I see no reason to doubt your statement, but you left everyone hanging. What's the story on these counterfeits? Where are they coming from? Are there only certain dates affected? Where were they seen? What country or countries are they coming out of? Are they seen only raw or have they surfaced in the counterfeit NGC slabs? Please, we need more than one sentence here.
Jim Archibald

Lexington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

Here's the whole story directly from Ray Czahor(Thanks Ray!)
"I was just talking to a good friend in Manila Philippines this morning
> on a couple of Philippine issues. He attended a local auction this
> weekend. He said Moslems were offering to local dealers, some of whom
> bit, 80 to 100 SCARCE to RARE US Liberty 50 Cent pieces. They
> included dates 1847, 1857, 1857S, and 1857O. He said the pieces were
> the correct weight, high grade UNCs, nice reeding but rounded edges.
> One dealer there bought 65 pieces for up to $250 for the rare date.
> Maybe you have already seen them but thought I would pass this info
> on.
> Thank you,
> Ray Czahor"
Paul de Jesus

Millbrae, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

I have seen 2 samples of the actual counterfeit coins myself. An 1857 and 1857O. According to a US dealer, they are struck pieces. Surfaces had been polished and artificially toned. According to the dealer they lacked the width of the flat rim (apparently because they had been rounded as Ray Czhor noted). Weights were correct. First glance note on the coin was that they were UNC pieces that had been damaged by polishing but closer examination yielded the various flaws noted. I had to consult with the local dealer to verify my concerns.
Thank you.
Paul de Jesus

“Numismatics 101”

Since: Feb 08

Gardner, Massachusetts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2008

Thanks for the follow-up Paul. It seems just the latest installment of China's newest hobby, counterfeiting. ~ Jim
wilson que

Cannes, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2008

careful careful

“Numismatics 101”

Since: Feb 08

Gardner, Massachusetts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2008

Judged:

Interesting comment Mr.Que, perhaps your of Chinese ancestry, but I meant no insult to the Chinese people in general. In fact, I like China and the Chinese race. The fact is that China allows coin manufacture for export and has been the sourse for thousands of counterfeit coins entering the US via ebay and other avenues. The Chinese Government does not regulate this practice,and it is conducted in the open by many different firms in China. In fact,they tend to encourage it because they do not allow historic Chinese coinage to be exported to other countries, so instead these "replica's" are made to disperse. If you need further evidence, check out this photo gallery at about.com regarding these Chinese fakes.The facts speak for themselves.
http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins/ig/Chine...
Paul de Jesus

Burlingame, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

This is quite alarming! I have long heard and suspected of counterfeiting with China as its base. The photos in the link suggest a grave danger to all numismatists. Not only is this a large scale operation, it is professionally funded. And the lack of government control and permissiveness makes this all the more dangerous for the unwary buyer. The wide variety of what's produced, ranging in country, date, rarity plus the fact that some are slabbed in counterfeit containers as well clearly indicate that there is no intention to sell these as reproductions but with the express intention of defrauding buyers.

The Chinese people have a long and rich history behind them. It would be such a shame if that history will be tarnished by these acts of greed.

If there should be somebody who can do something about this, it is the good and decent Chinese people whose reputations are at stake. Being one of the if not the largest ethnic group in the planet, I am certain that there are some who will not stand for this. I hope they take the challenge of actively protecting their cultural heritage.
Frank

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Jim Archibald wrote:
Here's the whole story directly from Ray Czahor(Thanks Ray!)
"I was just talking to a good friend in Manila Philippines this morning
> on a couple of Philippine issues. He attended a local auction this
> weekend. He said Moslems were offering to local dealers, some of whom
> bit, 80 to 100 SCARCE to RARE US Liberty 50 Cent pieces. They
> included dates 1847, 1857, 1857S, and 1857O. He said the pieces were
> the correct weight, high grade UNCs, nice reeding but rounded edges.
> One dealer there bought 65 pieces for up to $250 for the rare date.
> Maybe you have already seen them but thought I would pass this info
> on.
> Thank you,
> Ray Czahor"
Ray Czahor conducts a Mailbid of Philippines collectibles under the name Cookie Jar Collectibles twice a year. The last mailbid included some WWII emergency currency that had previously never been for auction. The end of June auction will contain more notes from the same collection.
he-rocks

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2009

Jim Archibald wrote:
Where's the rest of the story? details, details, details! Ray Czahor and I are long time friends, and I respect him as a numismatist. I see no reason to doubt your statement, but you left everyone hanging. What's the story on these counterfeits? Where are they coming from? Are there only certain dates affected? Where were they seen? What country or countries are they coming out of? Are they seen only raw or have they surfaced in the counterfeit NGC slabs? Please, we need more than one sentence here.
Mostly from china
he-rocks

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2009

he-rocks wrote:
<quoted text>
Mostly from china
they make most of them
he-rocks

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2009

i don't like chinese food
wilson yulo que

Asia, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2009

beware of a few dealers here who are selling fake coins even at local auctions
something has to be done

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Coin Collecting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coin business observes national coin week Apr '14 cold black coffee 1
1854 Napoleon III Empereur copper coin (Jul '06) Mar '14 Gary pople 350
Opinion: Where are Jersey's - stealth' dollars? (Jan '14) Jan '14 Bobby Covert 2
Coin Mate Introduction of the new software fo... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Catamates 1
Can anyone tell me what type of coin is this!! (Oct '13) Jan '14 Frank 3
1999 georgia quarter (Nov '13) Nov '13 Chris 1
Coin collecting brings benefits for all ages (Aug '13) Aug '13 BeckonsAttore 1

Search the Coin Collecting Forum:
•••