Wednesday Letters to the Editor

Wednesday Letters to the Editor

There are 2 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Nov 24, 2009, titled Wednesday Letters to the Editor. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

I would like to invite Dave Marsden to visit the Madrona Marsh and experience what a gift these 50 acres are to the people of Torrance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

M Richards

Pacoima, CA

#1 Nov 25, 2009
While so many of us cannot afford increased taxes, Barry's "20 percent increase" would amount to just $6.00 more on a room at Terranea that goes for $300.00 per night.

"Other nearby local governments don't seem to find it necessary to waste taxpayers' funds so that they can facilitate questionable special interest projects with outrageous tax increases."

Now Barry, you can't be serious that a 2% increase, amounting to just $6.00 to a person or company willing to pay $300.00 per night for a room is 'outrageous'

And if you mean that the increase would have facilitated questionable special intrest projects, being the maintenance and damage control to Palos Verdes Drive South and P.V. Drive East, I believe you are absurd in your consideration.

I feel that our residents already pay quite a bit in taxes that ultimately benefit the guests and staff at Terranea. Why shouldn't guests traveling over roads we have to pay to maintain not be asked to contribute?

I also don't believe that the Council of Rancho Palos Verdes is a group of men who "tax-and-spend without careful consideration.

Raising the TOT by just 2%, a tax increase that would not be required of the vast majority of residents of Rancho Palos Verdes, would have brought it more in line with other cities that have comparable transient lodging.

Whenever anyone offers recommendations from PVP Watch, everyone should understand that that group has long sought to control issues and government in Rancho Palos Verdes.

Barry knows or should know that our city may face a devastating problem that has a potential to disrupt traffic along Palos Verdes Drive East, South, and other roadways. I do not know why he objected to the opportunity to collect needed funds for road maintenance from those who also use our roadways.

I think there is greed in those who demand services but are not willing to allow for the best funding possible, even though much of that added funding doesn't come from those folks or most other residents of R.P.V.

Perhaps Barry and his ilk enjoy hob knobbing with those who can afford to spend their nights and adult refreshments at an upscale resort.

It is unfortunate that Mr. Hildebrand isn't willing to realize that the slight ($6.00 more for a $300.00 per night room rate) could help all of the residents living on the peninsula and the guests who spend money at both Terranea and Trump.

Barry also knows, or should know, that the per capita funds available to R.P.V. government were only a bit greater than the least funded city in the South Bay; Lawndale, Ca.

I suggest Mr. Hildebrand move to Lawndale if he isn't happy with the taxes and other fees charged in Rancho Palos Verdes.

Hawthorne, CA

#2 Nov 25, 2009
Wednesday's letters are all mean-spirited trash talk. Happy Turkey day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bird Watching Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Spring bird monitoring (Oct '15) Oct '15 Falconstare 1
Diversity is a codeword for White Genocide (Apr '15) Apr '15 6078bkdl 1
News Snowy owl 'epidemic' sweeps across Ontario (Dec '14) Dec '14 GTA 1
News Little bird rides on back of hawk (Jan '10) Jul '14 Ray ONeal 4
News Celebrate Migratory Bird Day In Yellowstone Wit... (Mar '14) Mar '14 is it About to Blow 1
News Anger over shot rare bird (Dec '13) Dec '13 TURN 1
News Bird Watching in Australia (Dec '13) Dec '13 QUEENSLANDER 3
More from around the web