Owls roost in South Loop park

Owls roost in South Loop park

There are 25 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 16, 2008, titled Owls roost in South Loop park. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Wonderment has come to the South Loop. You stand on an ordinary sidewalk, look up into an ordinary pine tree, and see the extraordinary: six long-eared owls, huge, silent, magnificent, perched on branches in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Oak Lawn, IL

#1 Jan 17, 2008
Amazing that these owls are in Chicago.Its going to be a quest to find where the exact location of the roost. I promise not to disturb.
Glenda Pence

Chicago, IL

#2 Jan 17, 2008
Where is this park?
Banging them all

Houston, TX

#4 Jan 17, 2008
Looks like Dearborn Park; just west of Roosevelt & State
Stacey Stutzman

Libertyville, IL

#5 Jan 17, 2008

Thank you so much for the owl video. My son, who has Down syndrome has been fascinated by owls since the first Harry Potter book. We are always on the lookout for them. We always hear them but rarely see them.

Since: Sep 07

#6 Jan 17, 2008
We welcome the long eared owls to Chicago's wild south loop.

The owls are just the latest creatures to join our neighborhood.(Dearborn Park II)

We also have a large, permanent colony of bright green monk parakeets,(I think they are the northern branch of the “Harold Washington” flock from Hyde park,) at least 1 pair of fat raccoons and a loud and noisy pack of coyotes who live between Clark and the east bank of the Chicago river. You cannot imagine how loud the coyote howls are, just about every evening. It seems as though the howls start in reply to police and fire sirens driving down Clark.

It has also been said that our zip code, 60605, has the largest number of registered dogs in the city, so keeping them on-lease is a good idea to keep them off the coyote menu!

Glenwood, IL

#7 Jan 17, 2008
don-forest park

Harvey, IL

#8 Jan 17, 2008
john husar would be happy.

United States

#9 Jan 17, 2008
Welcome to Chicago, owl friends!
Gordon Guth

El Dorado Hills, CA

#10 Jan 18, 2008
I would sure like to see these owls myself however, no body has told us where the park is located. The south loop area is very large. Can't someone be more specific or are they trying to keep the location secret for exclusivity?

#11 Jan 21, 2008
The owls are in fir trees in a park just south of the South Loop school.

In the 1300 block of south Federal, inside Dearborn Park II

The exact address was avoided in newspaper articles so crowds would not scare them away. But, I assume there won't be too many people reading this blog.

If possible, get there before sun set and you might see them take off for their nightly hunting trip. Awesome wing spans!
South Loop

Chicago, IL

#12 Jan 22, 2008
As an FYI as of today most of the owls have left - down to only 3.

Gwynn Oak, MD

#14 Jan 24, 2008
Are any still there? I'm planning on bringing my daughter to see them Saturday.

#15 Jan 24, 2008
I'll take a look in the trees tonight and post later.
Mr O

United States

#16 Jan 25, 2008
Did you find the Owls last night? I am planning on driving from Iowa on Sunday morning, provided the Owls are still there.

United States

#17 Jan 26, 2008
I'm going to check it out today and will post when I get back. And I mean it!!!!

United States

#18 Jan 26, 2008
There are still three owls in the park. We just got back from seeing them. There were a few people there viewing them. They are very easy to spot and you can get within 15 feet of the trees. They are in the pine trees in the southeast corner of the park. The area is fenced off. Very cool.
Mr O

United States

#19 Jan 26, 2008
oakparkbob - thank you for the post. I will be leaving the Quad Cities early tomorrow morning for Chicago. Really looking forward to see them! Thanks again!
Mr O

United States

#20 Jan 28, 2008
We made it into the city on Sunday (six hour drive - round trip) and well worth it. Thank you all.

Morehead, KY

#21 Jan 28, 2008
hey guys i love animals and i am glad that they dont mention them in the news because i dont want them bothering those beautiful animals!!!!!

Morehead, KY

#22 Jan 28, 2008
is there any body here that s younger than 14 years old???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bird Watching Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Survival Mar 14 DeDominicis 1
Black-capped Chickadee and Carolina Chickadee a... (Jun '07) Mar 14 DeDominicis 2
bluebird conservation (May '07) Mar 14 DeDominicis 5
Diversity is a codeword for White Genocide (Apr '15) Mar 14 DeDominicis 2
News Kingfisher Mar 14 DeDominicis 1
News Spring bird monitoring (Oct '15) Oct '15 Falconstare 1
News Snowy owl 'epidemic' sweeps across Ontario (Dec '14) Dec '14 GTA 1