Fur and feathers may fly over Cape May cat control plan

Full story: Newsday

The cats vs. birds struggle in this Victorian seaside resort has come down to the carrot vs.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of47
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Realist

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

Only a crazy person would say "Cats are a part of the fabric of society here." when referring to feral cats at the beach.
They are relentless predators. The people who feel the need to treat them like human children need to get mental health counseling.
Amanda Bell

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

Clearly TNR is working! From 450 down to 100.. the numbers don't lie. I only hope these naysayers will wake up and realize that cats will be there no matter what they do. Sterilized and vaccinated cats, and their declining populations, are a MUCH better alternative to the random stray, unsterilized, breeding cats who will inevitably replace these sterilized colonies once they're removed. You've done a great job, Alley Cat Allies and feral cat caregivers of Cape May!
Judy Wood

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

TNR is an absolutely wonderful concept that works! As for the comment from Realist-a feral cat who has not been neutered/spayed and then maintained by feral caregivers is trying to survive, so of course they are relentless predators-they're starving! Sterilize, vaccinate and feed these cats, and you will see a decline not only in the feral cat population but also in cats who need to kill birds for food. I've been doing TNR for almost a year now, and I have seen first-hand the difference it makes. Alley Cat Allies, the cat caregivers of Cape May and cat caregivers around the country-Kudos to you, and keep up the good work!
Teresa

King Of Prussia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

Isn't it sad that people dump off their cats as if they were garbage instead of the breathing, feeling creatures that they are?

These cats are the innocent victims of man's inhumanity. I hope that Cape May continues the TNR efforts to keep the population down. As a society, we are responsible to be compassionate and kind to all living creatures.
Erin Fell

Draper, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

I remember when I first heard about TNR, I watched a video that spoke of the success of the Cape May Feral Cat Project. It was an inspiration to so many of us in animal welfare here in Utah and elsewhere. What a great thing you have done. Please don't take a step backward from all the progress you have made. Your town is an example of what can be accomplished when you are willing to think outside the "kill" box.
Erin Fell
Salt Lake City, Utah
Lezlee

Sandy, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

I don't understand why people dump their cats at the end of the summer. Some how they were able to adopt a cat and be the responsible party until it's time to leave. This is the exact reason for Feral cats, here they were fed, taken care of, and loved. Then comes the end of the summer and they get dumped to fend for theirselves. Scared and confused to what just happened to their care taker and how to get their next meal.

I agree with TNR and if it has made such a big difference in Cape May, why should it be changed. Becky, what a wonderful job you and your team have done.
Kris Neal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

Feral cats are opportunistic, they would just a soon eat food from a plate than hunt. If they do hunt, rodents are they're preference not birds. TNR works flawlessly in our area. We have fixed colonies with 50+ cats 3 years ago now down to 15, with no new litters. Areas with 15 fixed cats, no new litters and just a few cats. We place fixed feral colonies at business's, surplus yards, etc. these working ferals keep the rodent population down just through their presence there, just as they are doing in your area. Good work Alley Cat, keep it up!
Prince

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

P-Control!
Gwen Packard

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

As director of a non-profit, no-kill pet rescue for 8 years, I have seen so many cats and kittens abandoned, starved, dehydrated and close to death. We take feral cats from K. Neal and her TNR program and they have almost all been tamed and many have been adopted. By "fixing" and vaccinating the cats in feral colonies, you do away with the problem of unwanted litters and the original colony stays at a stable number. If you trap and kill feral cats, then it opens up spance in the colony for more cats and perpetuates the problem. After working with animals for many years, I have come to the conclusion that man is the most vicious and dangerous animal on our planet.
Gwen Packard

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Whoops - "space" and not "spance" - got carried away for a minute.
cat lover and birder

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

TNR does not work and has not been scientifically proven to do so.

www.TNRrealitycheck.com
Colleen Muir

Saint George, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2008

Judged:

We live in a small town in southern Utah.. We have been involved in the Feral Cal program here and have seen it work wonders. We are all voluneers and work very hard at what we do, and we will keep doing it because we love all the cats, Feral or house cats... We have a house cat and many feral cats that have been dropped of to us and have no other place to go. Not knowing what colony they are from we have to give them a home with us.
Keep your trap neuter and release program going... Thank You Colleen Muir
cleanbeach

Absecon, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

Judged:

The news people need to check with NJ DEP Commissioner Lisa Jackson and her order to reduce bear/human contact in NJ.

According to her order, ALL NJ residents, especially those in NJ’s bear country, must secure their garbage, scrub their bar-b-cue grills, not leave out pet food dishes, etc. Violating this order will get you a $1,000 fine!

Yet, cat feeders leave out open cans of cat food – just about anywhere and everywhere – even in neighborhoods, public parks and on other public property.

Bears can smell a dead carcass 2 to 3 miles away. You can bet they can readily smell cat food.

Leaving cans of open cat food for feral/stray cats is a direct violation of Jackson’s order and extremely dangerous – especially for children.

Why are the “cat feeders” getting a free pass and allowed to conduct an activity that violates her order?

It’s time for the news investigators to contact Commissioner Jackson about this violation!!!!
Amanda

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2008

Judged:

Wow, that's quite an eloquent response. When you say "scientifically proven" .. I bet you have no idea what that means, do you? If you'd just do some TNR, you'd see that it DOES work. Don't believe everything you read on ridiculous websites like TNRRealityCheck.com . That is one funny website.(You'd know that if you actually read it.)
cat lover and birder wrote:
TNR does not work and has not been scientifically proven to do so.
www.TNRrealitycheck.com
cat lover and birder

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

Amanda what you describe "do so and see so for yourself" is anecdotal - not scientific. The AVMA has stated that the reduction by TNR programs is statistically insignificant. And those 100 cats in Cape May are not the entire population of cats on the island - only the ones in known managed colonies.
bill

Southampton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Judged:

Feral cats should be eradicated where possible. They are a non-native invasive pest species that is currently responsible for the extinction of 33 bird species with many more to come. They are major rabies vectors and carry perhaps fifteen diseases communicated to humans by their dehydrated feces and urine. Children should be kept away from any feral cats and people feeding cats and setting up cat ranches should be held responsible for the threat they pose to the public health and destruction of our wildlife.
joe

Southampton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Judged:

Trap , neuter and abandon programs do not work. Two studies by University students in Florida proved they don't work. Cat farms grow to the limit of the food supply. Cats come and go from the cat farm. The cat farm never goes away as Cape May program demonstrates . The cats are fueled up by mass feeding and destroy everything that walks, flies or crawls in their range. Cat nutter propaganda is rampant; expert disinformation and obfuscation program. Toxoplasmosis and rabies are enough reason to call this stuff nuttier than a cat nutter without a can opener. Feral cats in New York are known to carry rabies. Cat Nutter groups like Alley Cat Allies call for all cat nutters feeding these things to "GET A PRE EXPOSURE RABIES SHOT".
Jonas Tras

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2008

In my area TNR does not help. More cats are released into the colonies..some are not able to be captured. I've seen people drive by and release more into the colony. Since I've lived here this is what I've witnessed. And I have found these dead. These are the species removed with the introduction of this colony.

Wild Cottontail Rabbits-Gone
Mourning Doves-Gone
Bobwhite Quail-Gone
Bullfrogs-Gone
Eastern Box Turtle-Gone
Moles-Gone
Bluejays-Gone
Cardinals-Gone
Eastern Wild Turkeys-Gone (Not killed frightened away)
Carolina Wren-Greatly Reduced
Goldfinch-Rarely seen anymore
Robins-Greatly Reduced
Killdeer Plover-Gone
Tree Frogs-May see one per warm season

We the neighbors say that if you wish to keep hoarding all these cats to please keep them indoors or move.

Sharon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2008

Who cares about birds? Their just feathers, wings and poop.
Raptor in Michigan

Warren, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2008

Judy Wood wrote:
TNR is an absolutely wonderful concept that works! As for the comment from Realist-a feral cat who has not been neutered/spayed and then maintained by feral caregivers is trying to survive, so of course they are relentless predators-they're starving! Sterilize, vaccinate and feed these cats, and you will see a decline not only in the feral cat population but also in cats who need to kill birds for food. I've been doing TNR for almost a year now, and I have seen first-hand the difference it makes. Alley Cat Allies, the cat caregivers of Cape May and cat caregivers around the country-Kudos to you, and keep up the good work!
TNR is a plan that releases bird killers back into the wild to kill more birds. Cats are a non-native species that DO NOT belong here. They are helping to speed up the decline of our already declining bird species. Start thinking with your brain instead of your bleeding heart. How many animals does it take to feed a cat throughout it's life? Even if it just took 1 bird per day and only lived 10 years that is 3650 birds. If there are 1000 cats in the program that is 3,650,000 birds killed. And we all know there are millions of feral cats. I know the argument "they keep the rodent population down." Well so do hawks, owls, foxes and other wildlife. Cats also create a shortage of food for these other native animals. Even well fed cats kill birds, it is their nature to hunt. Native species should always take precedence over the non-natives. All feral cats need to be eliminated. I have no problem with pet cats in the house where they belong. We need to be good stewards of the land and the native wildlife. As a responsible pet owner myself, I do not allow my dogs to kill animals in the yard. And most birds are protected by federal law, so humans who allow this to happen should be fined and jailed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of47
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bird Watching Discussions

Search the Bird Watching Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Celebrate Migratory Bird Day In Yellowstone Wit... Mar '14 is it About to Blow 1
Anger over shot rare bird (Dec '13) Dec '13 TURN 1
Bird Watching in Australia (Dec '13) Dec '13 QUEENSLANDER 3
Wild Birds shop opens for business (Sep '13) Sep '13 birdlover 1
Kalamazoo boy has seen more than 140 species of... (Jun '12) Aug '13 Regina 2
The World Outdoors: Skunk's Misery a pleasure f... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Len 1
Birders flock to Vergennes for rare Vt. visitor (Mar '13) Mar '13 tshadowknows06 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
Seattle Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••