Ham Radio Experiencing A Resurgence

Ham Radio Experiencing A Resurgence

There are 23 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 9, 2009, titled Ham Radio Experiencing A Resurgence. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Silence. "K1MMH/ K1MMH," Hobart tries again. A signal booms. Dozens of hams across the state have heard her call, in Wethersfield, Rocky Hill , New Britain .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CWMcAll

AOL

#1 Mar 9, 2009
Breaker Breaker 19 , can I get a smokey report on 91 10-4 ?
Old Time Teacher

Winsted, CT

#2 Mar 9, 2009
Much of local ham radio today is done with the help of a middleman, called a repeater, which acts just like the cell phone's satellite.
Plernis Chronchintate

United States

#3 Mar 9, 2009
I can remember seeing a bumper sticker once or twice that said something like 'don't make fun of me for being a silly-boy ham radio operator... someday I might save your life.'

I think some of these guys have a hero complex going on. I'll bet they want there to be a disaster just so they can play the ham radio hero. They probably fantasize about getting invited to the white house and crap.
Confused

Morris, CT

#4 Mar 9, 2009
This seemed like a simple straight forward article. Why all the negativity and derision? Just curious...
Ham For 25 Years

Hartford, CT

#5 Mar 9, 2009
It's funny that I should see this article. I was dusting off a box at home, and came across a number of ARRL books, and started rereading some of them.
It's a hobby, but one with benefits to society. I don't think people fantasize about disaster. I think that comment was by someone who doesn't really understand, other than the part about the need for attention, which he admirably demonstrated by using negativity to get his 15 minutes of fame. Sad, really.
No, Ham Radio is about learning and helping. It's a wonderful hobby, and teaches physics, mathematics, civics, and a plethora of useful skills, which just happen to not only be fun, but enrich the participant's life.
And who would've thought that I would see this the very next day after dusting off boxes at home?
Heh.
Resident

Farmington, CT

#6 Mar 9, 2009
In the event of a huge disaster or emergency, these VOLUNTEERS can get emergency personnel where needed and just may be the person who helps you or a loved one.

Amateur radio operators are licensed and governed by the FCC - unlike CB radio or cell phones.
InvestInMules

United States

#7 Mar 9, 2009
"I think some of these guys have a hero complex going on"...As a Ham, I was once asked to help move some senior citizens to a shelter during an extended power outage. I did not ask for any glory or award. We provide communications to events like the Manchester Road Race, an organization which has raised lots of money for charity over the years. Cell phone systems are very reliable, but many have only short battery back up when they lose power. We are not going to save the world by any means. It's a bit like laughing at the Shriner's little cars, then you remember that they support 22 hospitals for children. Laugh on- We'll be there, doing the volunteer work that most people will probably never see.
Peter

Southampton, MA

#8 Mar 9, 2009
Yes, it is pathetic that someone would deride volunteers who help society in times of need. Next it will be making light of food pantry and soup kitchen volunteers. Or perhaps the Red Cross.
Glen G

Somers, CT

#9 Mar 9, 2009
As a former EOD for a local town and being one of the first towns to install and incorporate Amateur Radio it saddens me to think that some local police, state police as well as some firefighters refer to Amateur Radio as a club..........

I worked for over a year and a half with local governement, state agencies, Homeland Security, etc. to establish a state of the art communications facility given budget restrictions. Amateur Radio is critical in emergency communications and as traditional methods get exhausted, overloaded or inoperable.

Even should current communications not become inoperable it is very possible to have them over taxed. Let's not overlook interoperability!!!! Every town should encorporate Amateur Radio for interoperablity. Your town will most definately need to communicate with surrounding towns for evacuations methods, shared resources, etc.....try that on a cell phone or land line that is not working!

More effort is needed from the State level to educate municipalities, police, fire and EMS services on Amateur Radio.

I am proud that my efforts have made it easier for other towns to expedite their communication needs through the state and federal level.

God Bless the Amateur Volunteer.....they are a life line that is underestimated and not give proper credit!

Glen G.
Matt

Manchester, NH

#10 Mar 9, 2009
This is a typically fine group of people. They sound like your FD or PD dispatcher, not like the first poster indicated (as humorous as it was).
derp

Rochester, MI

#11 Mar 9, 2009
Old Time Teacher wrote:
Much of local ham radio today is done with the help of a middleman, called a repeater, which acts just like the cell phone's satellite.
Cell phones don't use satellites you bonehead.

Now that we got the technical stuff out of the way, repeters are not middlemen, but automatic range-extending machines. A "re-broadcaster" if you would. A few of the ammature bands use repeaters, but most do not. The most long-range communications do not use repeaters.

Clearly you are out of your element and have nothing worthwhile to contribute. Maybe you can ask and learn next time instead of purporting to know that the article does not have it's facts together.

btw, there are satellite phones, but they are very very uncommon and fairly bulky. The Irridium sat phones are expensive too. If you are using one, you are most likely trying to sail solo around the world or sitting around in some uninhabited desert.
derp

Rochester, MI

#12 Mar 9, 2009
Plernis Chronchintate wrote:
I can remember seeing a bumper sticker once or twice that said something like 'don't make fun of me for being a silly-boy ham radio operator... someday I might save your life.'
I think some of these guys have a hero complex going on. I'll bet they want there to be a disaster just so they can play the ham radio hero. They probably fantasize about getting invited to the white house and crap.
And you fantasize over wining the pulitzer prize and introducing the president at the National Press Club dinners.....

There is a name for the HAMs that take it too far (whackers), but they are usually HAMs second and wannabee firemen first. The radios are just a justification to put blue lights all over their vehicals and to wear EMT pants. They are just fiding an excuse to use them and do not have the radios as their primary interest.
doityourselfweat her com

United States

#13 Mar 9, 2009
It's really going to come back 'big time' when the current Congressional and Administration Communist Wanta-bes
muzzle the 1st Amendment.
Scribe-s Son

Raleigh, NC

#14 Mar 9, 2009
Thanks to the volunteer ham operators and all the other volunteer rescue service workers!!!
Next time a disaster strikes and the volunteer ham operators help save you or your family or friends be sure to ask their forgiveness when you also thank them for their service.
Can some of you people just learn some self control and not bad mouth everything just because you have a brain fart work its way through your hands.
Actually

United States

#15 Mar 9, 2009
Peter wrote:
Yes, it is pathetic that someone would deride volunteers who help society in times of need. Next it will be making light of food pantry and soup kitchen volunteers. Or perhaps the Red Cross.
Actually I would not be at all surprised if the same people that volunteer for Ham Radio events also do nice things for the Red Cross, etc.
without "tooting their own horn"
bonzo

Middlebury, CT

#16 Mar 9, 2009
Ham radio is an excellent hobby along with shortwave listening and kit building. It was a great way to learn basic electronics and maybe land a good career. I am glad to see the re-newed interest, i am wondering if morse code is essential.
KB1NE-a ham since 1968

AOL

#17 Mar 9, 2009
Bonzo-
Learning the Morse Code is no longer necessary to obtain an Amateur Radio License.
In defense of Ham Radio, all of what we take for granted in communications started with Ham Radio: Radio, TV, Communication Satellites, Cell Phones, E-mail, Ipods all were started (if not out right invented) by ham radio operators.
That's not a bad thing to be associated with, is it?
derp

Rochester, MI

#18 Mar 9, 2009
bonzo wrote:
Ham radio is an excellent hobby along with shortwave listening and kit building. It was a great way to learn basic electronics and maybe land a good career. I am glad to see the re-newed interest, i am wondering if morse code is essential.
morse code is no longer required for a technician lic.
Mike

Elmhurst, IL

#19 Mar 9, 2009
Plernis Chronchintate wrote:
I think most of them fantasize about not getting Atomic Wedgies during recess.
Dave

Export, PA

#20 Mar 10, 2009
Actually, morse code is no longer required for *any* class of amateur radio license. Many hams still prefer morse, but knowing it isn't necessary anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hobbies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News MH17 conspiracy theories begin to appear on the... (Jul '14) Jun 29 nema rada 4
News Come, Armageddon, come (Mar '15) Jun 28 BetheljudgmentDan... 28
News Breaking Amish Return to Amish Mary's crochet a... (Jul '14) Jun 27 linda Waddell 6
News Radio amateurs make history in B.C. disaster dr... Jun 25 dutch supporter 2
News Notes From Bridgeton Jun 21 karen vick 1
News News 28 Mins Ago Faa rules to clear way for rou... Jun 21 RustyS 4
News Posted: 32 minutes agoComments (0)Thunder Bay i... Jun 20 Medewiwin 1
More from around the web