U.S. calls for prompt solution to Hon...

U.S. calls for prompt solution to Honduran crisis

There are 5 comments on the People's Daily Online story from Sep 16, 2009, titled U.S. calls for prompt solution to Honduran crisis. In it, People's Daily Online reports that:

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Tuesday called on the Honduran people to find a prompt solution to the political crisis in their country after the June 28 coup.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at People's Daily Online.

“Fear is the Mind-Killer”

Since: Jun 08

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Sep 16, 2009
Since when was the peaceful exercise of the rule of law, to legally oust a president that illegally attempted to circumvent the law to remain president, a crisis?

There was no bloodshed. No dictator has assumed command. No crisis.

In fact, a Latin country upholding liberal doctrines of liberty and the rule of law should be celebrated.
Canuk in Honduras

Tegucigalpa, Honduras

#2 Sep 16, 2009
ANOTHER PIECE OF DECEPTIVE WRITING.

The US did NOT call for an Immediate solution to anything. A call in diplomatic terms is just short of a demand.

What Hillary Clinton expressed was a HOPE that the Honduran people come together. Her letter to the Honduras people is written below.

Honduras Independence Day

Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
September 14, 2009

On behalf of the people of the United States, I send greetings to the people of Honduras as they commemorate 188 years of independence tomorrow. Honduras and the United States have a long history of close ties, based upon mutual interests, shared values, and friendship between our peoples. I had the privilege of visiting your wonderful country when I attended the General Assembly of the Organization of American States in San Pedro Sula, and I felt your warmth and hospitality. The turmoil and political differences that have since divided Honduras are a source of worry and sadness. I remain hopeful that the spirit of Francisco Morazan, a founder and visionary leader of Honduras, will help return your nation to a democratic path that will unite and inspire, rather than divide and discourage, and rebuild the ties of solidarity that have characterized your relationship with the Americas.

From the
US State Department website.
Roberto Zorro

Chickasha, OK

#3 Sep 16, 2009
Phooey with Hilary. Her and Bama revoked all the govt's VISA, suspended aid. She doesn't gives a rip about the people of Honduras or their govt. The only ones from the US govt that really cared were the GOP congressmen who visited Interim President Micheletti and others. Good Ridance to Ze"liar" & Hugorila!

“Fear is the Mind-Killer”

Since: Jun 08

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Sep 16, 2009
Canuk in Honduras wrote:
ANOTHER PIECE OF DECEPTIVE WRITING.
The US did NOT call for an Immediate solution to anything. A call in diplomatic terms is just short of a demand.
What Hillary Clinton expressed was a HOPE that the Honduran people come together. Her letter to the Honduras people is written below.
Honduras Independence Day
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
September 14, 2009
On behalf of the people of the United States, I send greetings to the people of Honduras as they commemorate 188 years of independence tomorrow. Honduras and the United States have a long history of close ties, based upon mutual interests, shared values, and friendship between our peoples. I had the privilege of visiting your wonderful country when I attended the General Assembly of the Organization of American States in San Pedro Sula, and I felt your warmth and hospitality. The turmoil and political differences that have since divided Honduras are a source of worry and sadness. I remain hopeful that the spirit of Francisco Morazan, a founder and visionary leader of Honduras, will help return your nation to a democratic path that will unite and inspire, rather than divide and discourage, and rebuild the ties of solidarity that have characterized your relationship with the Americas.
From the
US State Department website.
Yes, very deceptive writing. Honduras obviously has a strong democracy is they are able to prevent a potential dictator from rising to power. That truly is democracy.
JohnnyBoy

Woodridge, IL

#5 Sep 16, 2009
I am not a fan of Hillary, but I think she is clever enough to know better than what is current US policy.

The most dangerous thing for Honduras as a stable society would be for the US to get involved for what would essentially be reasons internal to the US. If Obama by some logic starts thinking that there is some political gain in acting against the current government, that would be reason enough. And it could be for reasons as trivial as wanting to distract the press from his current problems.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morazan, Honduras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Activists warn a dreamersa to return work permi... (Jul '15) Jul '15 wild child 1
morazan space (Jul '10) Jul '10 JOSE ARMANDO GRAN... 1
News Honduras: - No here is giving up' as talks decl... (Oct '09) Oct '09 JRobert 3
News Both Sides in Honduras Criticize U.S. (Oct '09) Oct '09 Louc 1
News Honduras: Eyewitness report on violent police c... (Aug '09) Aug '09 tquinnmikelson 31
News Hondurans in Florida Raise Their Voices Against... (Jun '09) Jul '09 Linda 3
News South Florida Hondurans rally to support milita... (Jun '09) Jun '09 john 1
More from around the web