Large-Magnitude Honduras Earthquake Hits Central America

May 28, 2009 | Posted by: Iria | Full story: www.huliq.com

A magnitude 7.1 earthquake, its epicenter 80 miles northeast of La Ceiba, Honduras, struck early Thursday morning.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Another Day

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

So many decades, even a couple hundred years of sucking the oil, gas and water out of the ground is relieving massive amounts of pressure on the earths thin crust which is why as time passes that the frequency of earthquakes become more common.

Look at the movement of the land mass and you will see that it is mostly movement moving inland after a quake and that could only be because the weight in the water of the ocean is pressing in on the absence of the former pressure that was under dry land.

The sky isn't falling, the earth's crust is collapsing and will only get worse as time passes.

Solution?

There is none because there is no backup system or one that could be invented to take the place of the removal of gas, water and oil from under the earths crust.
Another Day

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

What is going on in the large scale around the globe is similar to but not exactly like sinkholes in Florida.

So much water is being pumped out that the land mass caves in.
The Washington Times

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

Another Day wrote:
What is going on in the large scale around the globe is similar to but not exactly like sinkholes in Florida.
By Tamara Graham of The Washington Times:

The MS-13s plan to attack some neighborhoods on a hot humid night to terrorize the areas and to attack law enforcement and newscasters on the street corners this spring and summer. A Latino street gang waged a racist campaign to eliminate the city's black residents through attempted murders and other crimes, according to federal racketeering indictments unsealed Thursday. Five indictments charged a total of 147 members and associates of the Varrio Hawaiian Gardens gang working with MS-13, and federal and local agencies arrested 63 of them by early Thursday, U.S. Attorney Thomas P. O'Brien said at a news conference. Another 35 defendants were already in custody on unrelated charges. Weapons and drugs worth more than $1 million also were seized in what O'Brien called "the largest gang takedown in United States history." The indictments detail attempted murder, kidnapping, firearms, narcotics and other charges related to attacks by the gang, which is predominantly Latino and mainly operates in Hawaiian Gardens, a city of about 15,000 in southeastern Los Angeles County. "(Varrio Hawaiian Gardens) gang members take pride in their racism and often refer to the VHG Gang as the `Hate Gang,'" the main indictment said. "VHG gang members have expressed a desire to rid the city of Hawaiian Gardens of all African-Americans and have engaged in a systematic effort to achieve that result by perpetrating crimes against African-Americans." The indictment alleges a string of attacks on black residents, including a shooting into a home with eight people inside. The indictment does not say if anyone was hit. In another instance, two gang members allegedly chased a black man, yelled a racist epithet at him and then beat him with a garden rake. The same man was later repeatedly stabbed by two gang members, according to the indictment, which charged them with his attempted murder. According to 2000 census data, the latest available, Hawaiian Gardens was roughly 73 percent Hispanic and 4 percent black.
Duh Vinci

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Was it a sink hole or a plate slip?
Duh Vinci

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Or a home run?
betterworld

Mount Laurel, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Another Day wrote:
What if we replace the extracted water with a slurry mix to prevent future sink holes? I believe this will work.
Duh Vinci

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Why did Mexico city sink at one time?
cindy

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

hey im from honduras i just hope everyones ok it hit pretty bad were my grandfather and uncle lives so i got worried and they said it hit at 2:30 am their time and i was amazed they woke up.
Viva Puerto Rico

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

cindy wrote:
hey im from honduras i just hope everyones ok it hit pretty bad were my grandfather and uncle lives so i got worried and they said it hit at 2:30 am their time and i was amazed they woke up.
Hey just wanted to say that I have familia en Honduras La Ceiba they are all fine thank god, I got a phone call at about 5:00am our time that was a scarry feeling, where does your family live at in Honduras, Prayers and Blessing go out to all of the people from Honduras.
Rico

Guatemala

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2009

cindy wrote:
i live in Livingston Guatemala, the quake felt like a romp on a water bed, undulating currents of power...
My wife and I was able to get to a doorway of our home and ride it out, very impressive!

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2009

I read somewhere that at one time Mexico City was an island in a lake at the top of a dormant volcano, this is not global warming.
The water table has been under stress because of cultivation and population growth.
Construction in the developing world was done without re-bar reinforcement and have become brittle.
Viva Puerto Rico

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Rico wrote:
<quoted text>
i live in Livingston Guatemala, the quake felt like a romp on a water bed, undulating currents of power...
My wife and I was able to get to a doorway of our home and ride it out, very impressive!
Wow impressive indeed they say the best place to ride these things out is the doorways or Marcos de las casas(Foundation of the house) cause or the walls cave in the Marcos de las casas might still be standing, dont now how true this is I have never had this type of experince, Glad yall ok.Blessing to your Country and prayers, What was the damage if any to Gutemala.
Rico

Guatemala

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Viva Puerto Rico wrote:
<quoted text>Wow impressive indeed they say the best place to ride these things out is the doorways or Marcos de las casas(Foundation of the house) cause or the walls cave in the Marcos de las casas might still be standing, dont now how true this is I have never had this type of experince, Glad yall ok.Blessing to your Country and prayers, What was the damage if any to Gutemala.
From what I can gather, here in Livingston there is no damage to buildings, 20 houses in Pourto Barrios are badly damaged...

As for us riding out the shock waves in the doorway, we would have been in more danger by going outside due to surrounding cisterns on pillers, the doorway seemed a better idea...
Viva Puerto Rico

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Rico wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I can gather, here in Livingston there is no damage to buildings, 20 houses in Pourto Barrios are badly damaged...
As for us riding out the shock waves in the doorway, we would have been in more danger by going outside due to surrounding cisterns on pillers, the doorway seemed a better idea...
Well Iam glad to know that your Famliy is ok.I know they had alot of people that died especially children this bothered me cause I work in a Day Care with children and to know this made me cry alot cause I love Children and this was so tragic, but I thank god that no one in my family was hurt. LOVE TO ALL THE CHILDREN IN YOUR COUNTRY, MY GOD BLESS THEM ALL.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2009

Duh Vinci wrote:
Was it a sink hole or a plate slip?
had a look on the NEIC site (type those in lower case on Yahoo and you will get the national earthquake info centre), and took a look see.

This one actually a strike slip same as in california between the N.American plate and the Caribbean plate, with the N.American plate moving WSW. compared to the Caribbean.

The reason you are getting this right about now is because Honduras & N.Nicaragua's little island volcanoes down to Cosiguina volcano decompressed during the last century with Tsunami offshore after reaching the young's modulus for the island arc without the Cuba backrange still recompressing behind it. This allows the N.Honduras segment some room to accommodate slip whereas further E. and W. it is too tight to allow strike slip and is compressing NNE-SSW in a vice.

Central America (Nicaragua & S. will) eventually pop (tsunamigenic) when the backrange recompresses until reaching Young's modulus of the arc which is the weakest of the megathrusts.

Last Tsunami there was the Caribbean & Mexican megaquake of 1014AD.

Have a nice day: Ag

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2009

Adrian Godsafe MSc wrote:
<quoted text>
had a look on the NEIC site (type those in lower case on Yahoo and you will get the national earthquake info centre), and took a look see.
This one actually a strike slip same as in california between the N.American plate and the Caribbean plate, with the N.American plate moving WSW. compared to the Caribbean.
The reason you are getting this right about now is because Honduras & N.Nicaragua's little island volcanoes down to Cosiguina volcano decompressed during the last century with Tsunami offshore after reaching the young's modulus for the island arc without the Cuba backrange still recompressing behind it. This allows the N.Honduras segment some room to accommodate slip whereas further E. and W. it is too tight to allow strike slip and is compressing NNE-SSW in a vice.
Central America (Nicaragua & S. will) eventually pop (tsunamigenic) when the backrange recompresses until reaching Young's modulus of the arc which is the weakest of the megathrusts.
Last Tsunami there was the Caribbean & Mexican megaquake of 1014AD.
Have a nice day: Ag
Fun at dinner parties.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent La Ceiba, Honduras Discussions

Search the La Ceiba, Honduras Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Beach house in La Ceiba Beach Club (Jun '09) Jan '14 Canadian_twins 21
Heart in Honduras (Mar '11) Apr '13 Linda 7
La Ceiba Ceach Club offers (Jan '13) Jan '13 Travel Honduras 1
La Cieba (Aug '07) Jan '13 Chris Barrett 7
on the outlook (Jul '12) Jan '13 Chris Barrett 3
Beach pic (Mar '09) Jan '13 Chris Barrett 2
Champas (Feb '09) Jan '13 Chris Barrett 6
•••
•••