OAS lifts ban against Cuba, reversing...

OAS lifts ban against Cuba, reversing Cold War action

There are 15 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jun 3, 2009, titled OAS lifts ban against Cuba, reversing Cold War action. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The Organization of American States on Wednesday lifted a decades-old ban on Cuba's participation in the group and cleared the way for the island's return despite initial U.S. objections.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

debo

Canada

#1 Jun 4, 2009
good to see the OAS take that vote, sorry that Cuba seems not to be interested in joining; however, they haven't been a part of the organization for 50 years so they can get along without them. and it is still heavily influenced by USA as seen by the conditions imposed by Clinton.
this is more a reflection of the new realities in Latin America than anything else.
and for those pavlovian dogs Illeana et all; STFU. Man, she is such a tiring old hag
Flagrante Delicto

AOL

#2 Jun 4, 2009
Once again, the United States gets it wrong. I would sure like to see the results of the OAS roll call on this.
GaryGuillermo

Tucson, AZ

#3 Jun 4, 2009
Every time the door opens (even a little bit) it is better for Cuban-American relations . . .it is better for the Cubans in Miami as well as those in Havana.
Living in Paradise

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Jun 4, 2009
Flagrante Delicto wrote:
Once again, the United States gets it wrong. I would sure like to see the results of the OAS roll call on this.
Ok, so what part of "The decision was made by consensus, meaning the United States accepted it" you do not undertand. There are no votes in the OAS.
Living in Paradise

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#5 Jun 4, 2009
debo wrote:
good to see the OAS take that vote, sorry that Cuba seems not to be interested in joining; however, they haven't been a part of the organization for 50 years so they can get along without them. and it is still heavily influenced by USA as seen by the conditions imposed by Clinton.
this is more a reflection of the new realities in Latin America than anything else.
and for those pavlovian dogs Illeana et all; STFU. Man, she is such a tiring old hag
This is the beginning, the travel ban will be lifted by the end of the year and that means I will save trip expenses not having to go to Nassau or Cancun to go to Cuba.

The OAS,just like the UN, is an useless organization that Cuba does not need. Cuba much rather have bilateral relations.

We will be trading with Cuba by this time next year.
Living in Paradise

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 Jun 4, 2009
GaryGuillermo wrote:
Every time the door opens (even a little bit) it is better for Cuban-American relations ...it is better for the Cubans in Miami as well as those in Havana.
Gary, you are so right! I see trade with Cuba in 2010 and perhaps even ferry service from Miami or Key West to Cuba in a few years.

My travel agency is ready to begin servicing customers as soon as the travel ban is lifted by the end of the year or early 2010.
Playdo

Boca Raton, FL

#7 Jun 4, 2009
The Cuban Embargo - set in place by JFK and the Democrats, was always a mistake.

We have proven that trade and friendly relations are more effecive in moving a marxist nation to capitalism. USSR gone.
China & Russia - more capitalist than the USA.

I wonder when it will be that Cuba convinces the OAS to boycott the leftwing USA?

Flagrante Delicto

AOL

#8 Jun 4, 2009
Living in Paradise wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, so what part of "The decision was made by consensus, meaning the United States accepted it" you do not undertand. There are no votes in the OAS.
Hilary Clinton walked OUT of the negotiations BEFORE the consenus.
Yacht Captain

AOL

#9 Jun 4, 2009
Living in Paradise wrote:
<quoted text>
Gary, you are so right! I see trade with Cuba in 2010 and perhaps even ferry service from Miami or Key West to Cuba in a few years.
My travel agency is ready to begin servicing customers as soon as the travel ban is lifted by the end of the year or early 2010.
When that happens, The Bahamas are DONE! 90% of yacht traffic will be to Cuba. I can hardly wait. It's been nearly 8 year since I was last in Cuba.
Living in Paradise

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Jun 5, 2009
Flagrante Delicto wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you are a typical ignorant gringo as how things work at the OAS. The resolution to readmit Cuba was proposed on and passed on June 2nd before Hilary left for Cairo. The approved unanimously by the 34-nation organization. Read again UNANIMOUSLY.
canuck

Canada

#11 Jun 5, 2009
But not the US rep to OAS!
Flagrante Delicto wrote:
<quoted text>
canuck

Canada

#12 Jun 5, 2009
Trade with Canada will go down(now 1.6 billion a year) once the yanks take over.
26th Latitude

Miami, FL

#13 Jun 5, 2009
canuck wrote:
But not the US rep to OAS!
<quoted text>
OMG for once Canuk, is correct! You have earned that free trip to Cuba on Forrest' jet!
26th Latitude

Miami, FL

#14 Jun 5, 2009
canuck wrote:
Trade with Canada will go down(now 1.6 billion a year) once the yanks take over.
Correct againg! You may have actually earned a round trip!
GaryGuillermo

Tucson, AZ

#15 Jun 5, 2009
Any agreement should say that any Cuban baseball player that relocates here must first play for the Marlins.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cortes, Honduras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How US Immigration Policies Endangered Central ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 John Grimbaldsun 4
News Honduran families deported back to a bleak future (Jul '14) Jul '14 RIP 18
News Back to a bleak future: Deported Honduran famil... (Jul '14) Jul '14 molodye 1
News Honduran families deported back to a bleak future (Jul '14) Jul '14 terror of politic... 1
News Why Won't Obama Call These Kids Refugees? (Jul '14) Jul '14 Go Blue Forever 2
News Honduran families deported back to a bleak future (Jul '14) Jul '14 Josh 2
News Democratic Congressman: We have proven communis... (May '14) May '14 david romo 8
More from around the web