LGBT Activist Walter Trochez Shot to ...

LGBT Activist Walter Trochez Shot to Death in Honduras

There are 12 comments on the Towleroad story from Dec 15, 2009, titled LGBT Activist Walter Trochez Shot to Death in Honduras. In it, Towleroad reports that:

Doug Ireland reports on a horrible loss in Honduras : "Walter Trochez 25 years old, a well-known LGBT activist in Honduras who was an active member of the National Resistance Front against the coup d'etat there, was assassinated on the evening of December 13, shot dead by drive-by killers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Towleroad.

Since: Apr 08

Dallas, Texas

#1 Dec 15, 2009
This has nothing to do with the political spectrum he was killed by drive by shooters over the fact he is gay...it is not uncommon in Honduras for hate crimes against gays..that is a sad fact, but it is true..his murder though had nothing to do with politics and was more about his sexual orientation.
Not all gays agreed with his politics..my neighbors are lesbians and have a homosexual friend that often comes over there and speaks to me as well..all of them were Anti Zelaya.
Honduras is a conservative country where homosexuality is more accepted than it was..but not as much so as in Europe. However, there are communities like my own that get along just fine with gays or even transexuals we have one who goes by the name Deborah..that is not his real name of course..he has trouble with alcohol and dresses in skanky prostitute clothes, but when he is not drinking he dresses a bit more conservative and we get along with him fine and I tend to overlook his pink flip flops.
tquinn

Durango, CO

#2 Dec 15, 2009
So,all of you,what did the coup gain us?In a few short monthes we are back in the 80s,what was done was done,wrong way yes.Now we try to get it correct.You thought Cheves was bad we better start looking at ours.Take the fn families out.
tquinn

Durango, CO

#3 Dec 15, 2009
Summer don't defend killing of any person.This is out of control,You don't see the big guys taken out for nothing,politico yes.Our drug cezar?Hum why would that happen?Shutting down free press?Hum why would that happen.Military killing people,Why would that happen?You need to step back open your eyes and see.I still like you but just take a step back.Take care be safe.Quinn
Summermoondancer wrote:
This has nothing to do with the political spectrum he was killed by drive by shooters over the fact he is gay...it is not uncommon in Honduras for hate crimes against gays..that is a sad fact, but it is true..his murder though had nothing to do with politics and was more about his sexual orientation.
Not all gays agreed with his politics..my neighbors are lesbians and have a homosexual friend that often comes over there and speaks to me as well..all of them were Anti Zelaya.
Honduras is a conservative country where homosexuality is more accepted than it was..but not as much so as in Europe. However, there are communities like my own that get along just fine with gays or even transexuals we have one who goes by the name Deborah..that is not his real name of course..he has trouble with alcohol and dresses in skanky prostitute clothes, but when he is not drinking he dresses a bit more conservative and we get along with him fine and I tend to overlook his pink flip flops.
Terry

Lakeland, FL

#4 Dec 16, 2009
I DO NOT support the killing of a person because they are hommosexual (Gay means happy, most hommos are not happy; alchoholics etc) Homosexuality is WONRG! Just like beastiality, fornication etc. I hope Honduras never legitemizes such activity. I do not hate anyone either, I know it is wrong. Lying is wrong yet every one has done this. I do not hate lyers either. Some things are just wrong. It would be better if there were not special rights for hommos. Sorry he got killed
tquinn

Durango, CO

#5 Dec 16, 2009
I agree with you,but this killing was not about being gay,it was allabout freedom of speech,and they just shut him up.Why target this one person when there is many?No the families did do it or our goverment.I think both
Terry wrote:
I DO NOT support the killing of a person because they are hommosexual (Gay means happy, most hommos are not happy; alchoholics etc) Homosexuality is WONRG! Just like beastiality, fornication etc. I hope Honduras never legitemizes such activity. I do not hate anyone either, I know it is wrong. Lying is wrong yet every one has done this. I do not hate lyers either. Some things are just wrong. It would be better if there were not special rights for hommos. Sorry he got killed
Terry

Lakeland, FL

#6 Dec 16, 2009
I do not think it was a freedom of speach issue as he was a well known hommo rights activist...but there is really no way for either of us to know for certain. I am glad Honduras had an election and if Zelya REALLY cared about the people, he would just go away under civilian asylum. The process worked. the congress and supreme court both ruled against this. Z was warned not to try to do the ballots and some of his en broke into the military area to get the ballots. He was determined to do this crime even though congress and the court had both ruled against him. He has no leg to stand on and the only thing he can do is cause trouble. If his leftist followers want to gain poaer, they should work to get a good candidate and support him. Z is finished but his ego wil not allow him to acknowledge this.

Since: Apr 08

Dallas, Texas

#7 Dec 17, 2009
tquinn, I am not supporting the killing of a person...that is where you are wrong...what I am pointing out is that these people are quick to judge why he was killed and they don´t know why. There are lots of senerios that could have occurred and you know as I do that violence is common and not always politically motivated. Having enemies is a bad thing here.

Since: Apr 08

Dallas, Texas

#8 Dec 17, 2009
If he was in the resistance has anyone considered the possibility that he harmed someone else´s family and this was a payback? In Honduras they call such killings ´ajuste de cuenta´(adjustment of accounts) what it essentially means is vigilante justice.
tquinn

Durango, CO

#10 Dec 18, 2009
Ajuste de cuenta,posibli.We will never know
Summermoondancer wrote:
If he was in the resistance has anyone considered the possibility that he harmed someone else´s family and this was a payback? In Honduras they call such killings ´ajuste de cuenta´(adjustment of accounts) what it essentially means is vigilante justice.
Short Left Index Finger

Toronto, Canada

#12 Dec 18, 2009
Klaus wrote:
They got another one? Good!
That's what I'm going to say when something happens to you.

Since: Apr 08

Dallas, Texas

#13 Dec 18, 2009
It is wrong for any member of NRF to be killed it is wrong for any LGBT activist to be killed...the crimes committed by them..bombs, sabotage, etc..are crimes punishable by jail..not death. Put them in jail. However, if he caused harm to someone else, killed their family member or harmed them...and they got their own brand of justice..it is possible...however, I do not subscribe to that being ok...but it happens in Honduras all of the time. Why? Because our cops tend to be like those in Shenendoah,PA...
tquinn

Englewood, CO

#14 Dec 27, 2009
Sometimes itdoes turn into the wild,wild west here.At times they shoot before thinking.Most have ounly athird grade education,but the have a gun.They have no life,Yes Summer at times you do not know what to do.You want to help,but there are so many.I hope you had a good Christamas and letts look for the new year,Y vios con dios,and thank you,for the love of the country.
Summermoondancer wrote:
It is wrong for any member of NRF to be killed it is wrong for any LGBT activist to be killed...the crimes committed by them..bombs, sabotage, etc..are crimes punishable by jail..not death. Put them in jail. However, if he caused harm to someone else, killed their family member or harmed them...and they got their own brand of justice..it is possible...however, I do not subscribe to that being ok...but it happens in Honduras all of the time. Why? Because our cops tend to be like those in Shenendoah,PA...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cortes, Honduras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How US Immigration Policies Endangered Central ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 John Grimbaldsun 4
News Honduran families deported back to a bleak future (Jul '14) Jul '14 RIP 18
News Back to a bleak future: Deported Honduran famil... (Jul '14) Jul '14 molodye 1
News Honduran families deported back to a bleak future (Jul '14) Jul '14 terror of politic... 1
News Why Won't Obama Call These Kids Refugees? (Jul '14) Jul '14 Go Blue Forever 2
News Honduran families deported back to a bleak future (Jul '14) Jul '14 Josh 2
News Democratic Congressman: We have proven communis... (May '14) May '14 david romo 8
More from around the web