Five Points Gang in NYC

“They eat diamonds like seeds..”

Since: Jan 08

Atlanta, GA

#1 Feb 24, 2008
Lately, I ve been really interested in the history of the five points gangs in NYC. I started to read the book Gangs of Ny, but I was'nt sure if any of the information was true. If anyone knows anything about the history of the five points neighborhood, post.
G Brown

Seymour, IN

#2 Mar 6, 2008
allot of it is true. i am very slowly writing my own book about the five pointers. My grandfather was a founding member, Joe Brown. Take a look at a website herbertasbury.com and click on the gangsters and then click on paul kelly and monk eastman. Read the credits at the bottom.
Hope that helps.
GB

“They eat diamonds like seeds..”

Since: Jan 08

Atlanta, GA

#3 Mar 9, 2008
I've came across this website in the past. It is very interesting. I'm still a little iffy on Asbury's book, since it was labeled an expose. I rented the hisory of Ny disc 2, which did'nt really go into details about the five points gangs. It only talked about the draft riots, which were by the way the most violent escapades in the U.S.A. In my opinion. I could'nt believe what I was watching. It was sick! Wow, Joe Brown is your grandfather?
Dallas

United States

#4 Mar 10, 2008
do you know the symbol for the five points gang then???

“They eat diamonds like seeds..”

Since: Jan 08

Atlanta, GA

#5 Mar 11, 2008
Dallas wrote:
do you know the symbol for the five points gang then???
I'm pretty sure gang symbols varied amongst each gang. The five point star is widely known though.
Dallas

United States

#6 Mar 12, 2008
ok thanks lol... AMERICAN GANGSTER IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!
Writer

Calverton, NY

#7 Mar 25, 2008
Iam a student writing a paper on the Gangs of New York, is there any way to break down the major events and gang wars in a way that is easily explainable? Also I am having trouble finding first hand accounts or even newspaper articles from that time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

“They eat diamonds like seeds..”

Since: Jan 08

Atlanta, GA

#8 Mar 25, 2008
Writer wrote:
Iam a student writing a paper on the Gangs of New York, is there any way to break down the major events and gang wars in a way that is easily explainable? Also I am having trouble finding first hand accounts or even newspaper articles from that time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
Although it was considered an expose at the time read gangs of new york by Herbert Asbury. Also if you want a more historical account read Five points by Tyler Anbinder. I hope this helped.
bob

Nashville, TN

#9 Apr 9, 2008
hey i'm a student who needs to write a five page paper on the five point gang, know of any good books?

“They eat diamonds like seeds..”

Since: Jan 08

Atlanta, GA

#10 Apr 9, 2008
bob wrote:
hey i'm a student who needs to write a five page paper on the five point gang, know of any good books?
Five points by Anbinder and Asbury's gangs of NY.
mwpfxx

Passaic, NJ

#11 Dec 5, 2012
G Brown wrote:
allot of it is true. i am very slowly writing my own book about the five pointers. My grandfather was a founding member, Joe Brown. Take a look at a website herbertasbury.com and click on the gangsters and then click on paul kelly and monk eastman. Read the credits at the bottom.
Hope that helps.
GB
. My great uncle was louie the lump Poggi in some of these articles they mention him having a brother big jack Poggi nobody in my family recalls him does anyone know of any books that would have any info?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

History in the News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News White House security clearance changes may affe... Mon RustyS 2
News Uranium One informant says Moscow paid millions... Feb 8 YouDidntBuildThat 3
News As U.S. stocks plummet, Trump goes silent on ro... Feb 7 Lawrence Wolf 31
News George W. Bush's favorable rating has pulled a ... Jan 23 Hah_ 4
News How will President Trump shape crime and polici... (Nov '16) Jan 23 Scott Lane 7
News Honeywell shuts Teterboro aviation plant (Mar '07) Jan '18 Rich Clarke 47
News In numbers: Donald Trump's first year in the Wh... Jan '18 spocko 110
More from around the web