On This Day: Karl Jatho Makes Alleged...

On This Day: Karl Jatho Makes Alleged First Manned, Motorized Flight

There are 5 comments on the www.findingdulcinea.com story from Aug 18, 2009, titled On This Day: Karl Jatho Makes Alleged First Manned, Motorized Flight. In it, www.findingdulcinea.com reports that:

On Aug. 18, 1903, German inventor Karl Jatho completed a motorized flight in Hanover, Germany, four months before the Wright brothers' historic flight at Kitty Hawk, N.C.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.findingdulcinea.com.

Orville Redenbacher

New York, NY

#1 Aug 18, 2009
It just goes to show that history favors the self-promoters.
OBXer the original

Manteo, NC

#2 Aug 19, 2009
The Wright Bros did not make the first motorized flight. Why do so many morons not know what the Wrights are famous for? They did not make the first flight, they did not make the first plane or glider.

The Wrights made the first motorized powered flight "WITH CONTROL". The others before them could not stear and that is the difference.
Charles

Rotterdam, Netherlands

#3 Dec 31, 2010
Dear Sir,

there are some mistakes in your text. One of them is that Jatho did 60 ft. but it is 200 ft, some 70 m. Another is that, that you assumed he got frustrated; nobody knows that. Anyone with some knowledge of flight history (even Americans) knows Jatho and Gustaf Weisskopf were earlier. The only reason is that from the first world war on, it was not done in the American press to give a German credit for such a feat! By the way, I am from Holland, and I like America.....

Since: Apr 09

Kitty Hawk, NC

#4 Dec 31, 2010
The most accurate description of the Wright Brothers flight is that it was "The first heavier than air flight with control" in all three axises (roll, yaw and pitch). Yes, there were other's that flew but were hardly in control. They were skidding around turns without banking the wings and things like that.

When the W.B. finally got off their a$$es (it took them 5 years because they were so worried about their patents) and demonstrated to the world (in 1908) what they knew in France, the Europeans said: "We are but children compared to them". They knew the Wright Brothers had developed and understood full 3 axis control that was essential to true controlled heavier than air flight.
Alan B

Dalton, GA

#7 Aug 17, 2013
Karl Jatho is my wife's great great great Uncle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

History in the News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Voters have trust issues with Hillary Clinton? ... (Jul '15) 24 min hal 3,067
News Clinton savors Iowa win, but sets in for a bigg... 8 hr Le Jimbo 71
News Bill Clinton to stump for Hillary in Bridgeport 11 hr Fidel 14
News Clinton email scandal: Why it might be time to ... 15 hr Le Jimbo 10
News Bill and Chelsea campaigning for Hillary in SC ... Sat Bill Clintons B l... 2
News Hillary and Bill Clinton earned over $25 millio... (May '15) Fri Local 37
News Top City headhunter, 27, found dead in the pent... Feb 4 Gives Good Headhu... 3
More from around the web