On this Day: Woodstock Music Festival Begins in Upstate NY

Aug 15, 2008 Full story: www.findingdulcinea.com 15

On Aug. 15, 1969, half a million people descended on a dairy farm outside Woodstock, N.Y., to celebrate three days of music, marking one of the most important and legendary events of the 1960s.

Full Story
Ursula B

Astoria, NY

#1 Aug 15, 2008
I would've been there but my mother wouldn't let me.
Nancy

Long Island City, NY

#2 Aug 15, 2008
Ursula B wrote:
I would've been there but my mother wouldn't let me.
Ursula, did you even try to sneak out? It was the 60s...Hendrix would have helped you out.
Colleen

Oregon City, OR

#3 Aug 15, 2008
I wanted to be born there but my mother had to go and let me out a day early, in a hospital no less.
Child of Nerds

Long Island City, NY

#4 Aug 15, 2008
I once asked my parents, who grew up in NY in the 50s and 60s, if they went to Woodstock. They told me they thought about it but decided not to because they figured there would be too much traffic. I guess this article shows that they were right, the traffic was terrible. But it's still a lame reason to miss out on the seminal event of your generation.
Bad Hair Day

Long Island City, NY

#5 Aug 15, 2008
My parents were SO cool that they decided the Hippie Movement was dead after RFK and MLK got shot. That's right, my parents were the First Cynics.
Child of Nerds

Long Island City, NY

#6 Aug 15, 2008
Bad Hair Day, that's a pretty impressive claim. My parents were hardly the first nerds, though they were among the nerdiest.
Wendy M

Long Island City, NY

#7 Aug 15, 2008
It amazes me that every post on here is about the poster's parents. Is there nobody on Topix old enough to reminisce? Where are all the Boomers who went to Woodstock, got high, said we should make love not war, and eschewed materialism, only to grow up and become more materialistic, judgmental, corrupt and selfish than the people they rebelled against in the 60s?
Filbert

Long Island City, NY

#8 Aug 15, 2008
Well Wendy if you REALLY want to know...I smoked so much pot during Woodstock that I don't even remember who played. Everyone tells me it was great, but I was passed out for hours in a pile of mud...that's what my two girlfriends tell me at least.
Barbara Urban Campbell

Southern Pines, NC

#9 Oct 17, 2008
I met in 1970 - a guy named Tom Keyes -we had one date at which time he presented me with a piture poster from Woodstock - he had taken many photos at the Happening- I always kept his "PEACE" poster and now my son - who is on his way to Iraq - has the poster framed and hanging in him home - where is TOM KEYES? I was living in Old Saybrook, Ct in 1970.
time bandit

Woodside, NY

#10 Dec 2, 2008
What is the big deal about Woodstock Pop fest. So What - it rained and nobody punched each other out. They stormed the gate rather than pay. If you had done that at the Woodstock Fest in 2000 you would of had a 1000 state police there. have you seen some of the people that were there now? I mean Prozac city. The only thing that woodstock needs to look like a mental institute is observation glass inclosed stations on the corners.

Since: Feb 08

Loring AFB

#11 Dec 2, 2008
Filbert wrote:
Well Wendy if you REALLY want to know...I smoked so much pot during Woodstock that I don't even remember who played. Everyone tells me it was great, but I was passed out for hours in a pile of mud...that's what my two girlfriends tell me at least.
lmaoooo
sounds like me.
Mattie

New York, NY

#12 Aug 17, 2009
Child of Nerds wrote:
I once asked my parents, who grew up in NY in the 50s and 60s, if they went to Woodstock. They told me they thought about it but decided not to because they figured there would be too much traffic. I guess this article shows that they were right, the traffic was terrible. But it's still a lame reason to miss out on the seminal event of your generation.
ha ha.
Thank you for this!

“Lost college graduate”

Since: Jun 09

Portland

#13 Aug 18, 2009
I think a new documentary of Woodstock came out a couple of weeks ago. Five new hours of footage are available. I don't know. New documentaries come out all the time. It's nice to a Woodstock distilled because it is often blown out of proportion and talked about forever. Ever watch one of those History Channel specials on Woodstock? Case closed.
hunter

Sayre, PA

#14 Mar 6, 2013
HI
AnnMarie

United States

#15 Jul 13, 2013
Well! We will never forget that year! We had great Performance and i`am proud of every one of them.I live in the catskills not far from Woodstock.We have the most beautiful farms and country here.Every year i go back to that day.We have to give thanks for for the ones that made this show come true in 1969.God Bless This Country and give us Peace!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

History in the News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rumsfeld Reaches Out to Democrats (Sep '06) 37 min Swedenforever 9
#1 PERSON for today according to Baltimore Bob 2 hr RighteousRobert 55
After being impeached in 1998, Clinton said he ... 4 hr tha Professor 37
Can Obama's presidency be saved? Fri spocko 936
A Man of Character - First Asian American chanc... Dec 21 McQuan 4
Dec. 16: Georgians fight at Ardennes Dec 19 Will Dockery 1
Bill Clinton: Garner 'didn't deserve to die' Dec 18 eye kamf breef 2
More from around the web