Area baseball wins leader Mike Smith ...

Area baseball wins leader Mike Smith is fired by Lake Brantley

There are 13 comments on the OrlandoSentinel.com story from Apr 28, 2011, titled Area baseball wins leader Mike Smith is fired by Lake Brantley. In it, OrlandoSentinel.com reports that:

Mike Smith was fired as Lake Brantley baseball coach after 26 seasons and three state championships on Wednesday, hours before the Patriots lost a one-run district semifinal game.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at OrlandoSentinel.com.

Former LBHS Baseball Mom

Marietta, GA

#1 Apr 29, 2011
I think Coach Smith has been very lucky to have such great players go through his program - to say that he coached them to that greatness is a joke. I think if you were to take a poll of his player, a good portion of them would tell you he was a miserable person and an even worse coach. I hate to see someone lose their job, but quite honestly, it really is time for a change.
Unknown

Orlando, FL

#2 Apr 29, 2011
Coach Smith was a great teacher!
Former LBHS Baseball Fan

Frederick, MD

#3 Apr 30, 2011
Coach Smith was a very good technical coach, knows the game, good at recognizing talent before it develops, but as they say in the medical profession, didn't have good bedside manner. I agree that the Altamonte Springs area had very exceptional talent pass thru his program and he was very lucky to have an opportunity to coach these fine young men.
baseballfan2

Longwood, FL

#4 Apr 30, 2011
who's going to be the new head coach?
Baseballfan

Saint Cloud, FL

#5 May 5, 2011
It sounds like you are disgruntled because your child was not good enough of a player to get game time. Mike Smith is an amazing man, and I doubt you took the time to get to know him as a person. You should reserve such comments for people who truly deserve them.
Baseballfan

Saint Cloud, FL

#6 May 5, 2011
My comment was directed to Former LBHS Baseball Mom from Georgia
Fan of Coach Smith

Braintree, MA

#7 May 6, 2011
You really don't achieve a career record like Coach Smith's by luck alone. It is hightly doubtful that Lake Brantley would have produced 6 MLB players and 3 state championships with a mediocre coach, even if they had extreme talent on the bench. Mike Smith deserves better than this after 26 years in the position. What kind of a bitter person tells someone before a big game that they are fired? Sounds like Coach Smith got into a power struggle with an insecure person with a personal vendetta. Keep your chin up Coach Smith! You are not defined by this, but rather by your 26-year winning career!
dad

Winter Springs, FL

#8 May 10, 2011
He had nothing to do with the players or the development of them. It's a byproduct of the talent in the area.
15 Year Brantley Parent

Orlando, FL

#9 May 11, 2011
It's always sad to see anyone lose their job, however, "What goes around - comes around"...

Unless you truly know what went on "behind the scenes", as so many do, you won't understand that this was long overdue...
15 Year Brantley Parent

Orlando, FL

#10 May 11, 2011
It's always sad to see anyone lose their job, however, "What goes around - comes around"...

Unless you truly know what went on "behind the scenes", as so many do, you won't understand that this was long overdue!

Good luck Coach
Disgusted

Santa Monica, CA

#11 Jun 4, 2011
What idiot said he was an amazing man? LMAO
Yea he was "amazing" alright. Lying sack of crap with severe character issues. I wont even get into the things he did that, as a man and husband, he should be ashamed of. Also who said he is a technical guy? HA HA HA yeah okay ask anyone he has messed with with their swings. My son now knows what the others do. He has NO INTEREST in returning to see that man ever again.

Let it go people. He treated kids poorly. If you werent there dont make assanine comments about his "greatness". Winning games because you have a talented crop year after year doesnt make you a great man. The guy played HS baseball and his knowledge of the game is shallow at best.

GOOD RIDDANCE and GOOD JOB LB ADMINISTRATION
LKMH Observer

Winter Park, FL

#12 Mar 31, 2015
Disgusted wrote:
What idiot said he was an amazing man? LMAO
Yea he was "amazing" alright. Lying sack of crap with severe character issues. I wont even get into the things he did that, as a man and husband, he should be ashamed of. Also who said he is a technical guy? HA HA HA yeah okay ask anyone he has messed with with their swings. My son now knows what the others do. He has NO INTEREST in returning to see that man ever again.
Let it go people. He treated kids poorly. If you werent there dont make assanine comments about his "greatness". Winning games because you have a talented crop year after year doesnt make you a great man. The guy played HS baseball and his knowledge of the game is shallow at best.
GOOD RIDDANCE and GOOD JOB LB ADMINISTRATION
LKMH Observer: where there is smoke there's fire. LBHS got rid of there issues and LKMH picked them up. The sad thing is that the AD and principle are blinded by his smoke.
stewart scott

United States

#13 Mar 31, 2015
also if you see the smoke stop drop and roll unless you are in a street going to the store to by some new socks because the fish swam near the waterfall last tuesday

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida High School Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News FHSAA Softball Finals: Dramatic rally gives Wes... (May '14) May '14 WF Parent 1
News Tally athletes at Auburn: Home away from home (Dec '13) Dec '13 HSCLASSICS 1
News New Jersey bans trash talk in prep sports; shou... (Jul '13) Jul '13 tha Professor 1
News Naples might lose starting quarterback Anderson (May '13) May '13 Sleeperprep 1
News Rams Beat Gulf Breeze 8-5, Claim District Title (Apr '13) Apr '13 g lin 1
News FGCU men's basketball: Success finally found (Mar '13) Mar '13 Go Blue Forever 1
News Softball: 5-run 5th sends LPA past Sebastian River (Feb '13) Feb '13 cruiser coach 2
More from around the web