Air strikes destroy Crater

Full story: Medford Mail Tribune

RECAP: South Medford senior Matt Retzlaff sets single-game school records with 13 receptions and 256 yards receiving to lead fifth-ranked Panthers.
Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Nov 7, 2013
Concerned

Yakima, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Great job South! I'm just wondering if there will ever come a time when Crater Comets head coach, John Beck, will humble himself, set aside his pride, and change up his plays(even people who don't know football can see those plays coming.)and start using the talent that he has standing on the side lines. TIP for Beck: Stop worrying so much about your precious plays, they aren't workin' for you, and in the end you are hindering the talent standing there waiting to be used. Its pretty sad when parents within the Central Point community with sons who live and breath football are finding ways for them to go to a high school, such as South, because of Beck's low brow playbook that favors the Central Point "elite" (if there were such a thing). This goes far beyond small town pride, in fact its down right shameful. In the words of Dr. Phil, "How that workin' for ya?" As far as I can see...its not.
Wecandobetter

Yakima, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Concerned wrote:
Great job South! I'm just wondering if there will ever come a time when Crater Comets head coach, John Beck, will humble himself, set aside his pride, and change up his plays(even people who don't know football can see those plays coming.)and start using the talent that he has standing on the side lines. TIP for Beck: Stop worrying so much about your precious plays, they aren't workin' for you, and in the end you are hindering the talent standing there waiting to be used. Its pretty sad when parents within the Central Point community with sons who live and breath football are finding ways for them to go to a high school, such as South, because of Beck's low brow playbook that favors the Central Point "elite" (if there were such a thing). This goes far beyond small town pride, in fact its down right shameful. In the words of Dr. Phil, "How that workin' for ya?" As far as I can see...its not.
I agree! My son is in 8th grade and I'm concerned for his football future at Crater. Been looking into ways to get him signed up to go to Either North or South. Either one would provide a better opportunity to play based on merit as opposed to the relationship between me and the CP cronies. I don't trust Beck with my sons future.
On The Dole

Medford, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2011

Ok, I maybe an old fart, as I played local (Medford) high school football eons ago. Your issues with the coach are nothing new, as they existed with his predecessor, and with his, and with his...
The bigger issue is, what influence this has on your kids? Your son will be joining the "real" world is just over 4 years. You mention his "football future." Is he that good, to have a future beyond Crater, or is it your future, in his shoes? That is a fair question, since I've witnessed many fathers "playing" the game through their children.
If your son is truly All-State caliber, then I would suggest you proceed with your ideas. If not, maybe it would be more prudent to simply be there, just as a dad and fan.
Your son's future goes far beyond the politics of high school football!(just my two cents)
Jack Peek

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

On The Dole wrote:
Ok, I maybe an old fart, as I played local (Medford) high school football eons ago. Your issues with the coach are nothing new, as they existed with his predecessor, and with his, and with his...
The bigger issue is, what influence this has on your kids? Your son will be joining the "real" world is just over 4 years. You mention his "football future." Is he that good, to have a future beyond Crater, or is it your future, in his shoes? That is a fair question, since I've witnessed many fathers "playing" the game through their children.
If your son is truly All-State caliber, then I would suggest you proceed with your ideas. If not, maybe it would be more prudent to simply be there, just as a dad and fan.
Your son's future goes far beyond the politics of high school football!(just my two cents)
WOW..not much has changed with the "MIGHTY BLACK TORNADO" ARROGANCE.....Sometimes(winnin g is not everything) FOOTBALL IS LIFE....Bet the father of the 'SUPER STAR" does not know who said that. If you know Medford football, Your butt better reach back to the 64 game played at Crater, Speg,told his time..that if they didn't be us by 30 points, they would practise Saturday AM..."EARTHQUAKE ENYART was your stud, you suited all you had, and I know for a fact, he suited the freshman, just to encirle us as you came on the field....There was a locker room speech given, before we came out..."win or lose, as long as you leave all you have to give for this game, your school, and most of all your self, that is all I will ask of you tonight...I love all of you as you were my own sons....LETS GO KICK SOME MEDFORD ASS!!!!!!" 13-6 Medford....SAT AM myself and another player were the to watch a brutal 90 minutes...FROM THAT NIGHT ON..TO THIS NIGHT ...nearly 50 yrs later...I have played life that way..I won, THAT WAS ALL THAT COUNTED. Jack Peek #77 defensive tackle Crater 1965

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Oregon High School Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
South Medford 42, Crater 14 (Sep '11) Sep '11 Wecandobetter 1
Blanchet kicker wins game despite torn knee lig... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Judi Aus 1
Amity Vs. McMinnville (Oct '10) Oct '10 player 1
East-West Shrine Game to feature area football ... (Aug '10) Aug '10 basecamp baker 1
football camps for high school players (Apr '10) Apr '10 Barry S 1
Youth football league bans 8 West Linn teams fr... (Oct '09) Oct '09 Teresa 1
a Coach Kurta inspires David Douglas High (Oct '09) Oct '09 vee 1

Search the Oregon High School Football Forum:
•••
•••