Polony leaves Allen after one year

Polony leaves Allen after one year

There are 61 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jan 8, 2008, titled Polony leaves Allen after one year. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Andy Polony loves football, but he loves his family even more. And, that, in a nutshell, is why he has resigned as Allen High's football coach after just one season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
JohnBoy

Orefield, PA

#1 Jan 8, 2008
What a cop out... Ok, it takes 6 months for rehab, that would be jan to june. Football doesn't go full swing til july/aug.
Charlie Weiss

Bethlehem, PA

#2 Jan 8, 2008
Wrong john boy. football is in full swing right now.
LVC

Allentown, PA

#3 Jan 8, 2008
Yeah right! He was over his head to begin with. People had no idea what it takes to coach in this league no less at Allen H.S.
a parent first

Bethlehem, PA

#4 Jan 8, 2008
JohnBoy wrote:
What a cop out... Ok, it takes 6 months for rehab, that would be jan to june. Football doesn't go full swing til july/aug.
Oh and I see, how many children do you have? And do you love them? He had to miss his sons senior year of football, and if he sticks with Allen he will miss his sons college career as well as his younger sons high school career. I applaud him for having his values straight!!!
robby

Allentown, PA

#5 Jan 8, 2008
He didn't have the 150% dedication he needed from the beginning, much less after any family problems that arrise. Shouldn't even apply for jobs that require what can't, or won't, be given.
ARIZONA66

Gilbert, AZ

#6 Jan 8, 2008
Being a assitant football coach for a long time, I understand what amount of time it takes to bring a program around, and what a toll it can take on a family. But when you apply for a HEAD coaching position you better know what you are getting into before you sign on the dotted line, sure circumstances happen but come on he should have realized what he was getting into it's not like he didn't coach before.

“yep,,it's me....”

Since: Feb 07

Bethlehem

#7 Jan 8, 2008
I had the privledge to coach along side Mr Palony at Whitehall H.S..
He is absolutely one of the best football coaches/minds in the entire state of Pennsylvania.
I also know that Mr. Palony's life long coaching goal was to be the head football coach at Allen.
Hopefully in the future Mr. Palony may return to Allen's sidelines.
Unlike the EAGLES Andy Reid, our families come first.....
Best of luck to the entire Palony family....my prayers are with you.

Nick Koch
thetruth

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Jan 8, 2008
Just a question.. his son is writhing in pain saying "Dad I need you". Where is his dad? He's coaching Allen, correct? Would that require him to be away from home, especially after the season is over? I realize it's a year-round job, but would it not be understood if he had to leave the office to drive home a little early for a few weeks if necessary? If it's a dream job, I just don't buy that this is the reason. When you commit to being a head coach and mentoring kids, you should know what you're getting into. These kids just went 0-10 and now the one guy that believed in them has left. Maybe I'm wrong but a son's knee surgery, while unfortunate, should not require a father quitting his "dream job"
Oh and Ten

Mooresville, NC

#9 Jan 8, 2008
Just wondering if the record was reversed as to if his son's writhing pain would have been such a decision maker.
Too bad.
My guess - it was his ears which were in pain from the parent's and Booster club's complaining.
Elaine McElroy

Bethlehem, PA

#10 Jan 8, 2008
WOW!! I can not get over all the negative comments from people for a man putting his family first! Let ME pose a few questions: Have any of you ever coached? Have you coached in an inner city? Have you seen Allen lately? Between the gangs, the kids who DON'T show up for practice, let alone the games, the kids who have NEVER played football in their lives, yet think they are T.O.,(oh wait, they act like him with none of the talent) the antics on the sidelines, the disrespect shown to the coaches, I say the man is one smart guy to get out while he still has breath in him! Thank god for his family needing him! Because otherwise the life would be sucked right out of him!!!

“yep,,it's me....”

Since: Feb 07

Bethlehem

#11 Jan 8, 2008
W. Allen High School is NOT your father's school anymore.
Mojo

Lewisberry, PA

#13 Jan 8, 2008
To all the Limeport ($outhern Lehigh School District)knuckleheads, get a life. They don't even know how to spell football there. They have been the laughingstock of the JV CL league for years. How many coaches have you gone through in the past years? They haven't haven't had to put up 1/10th of the "off" the field nonsense this man has had to.

Allen isn't a place where kids and their parents live in $400K + houses and drive drive BMW's to school. It's called the real world.

Since: Mar 07

Allentown PA

#14 Jan 8, 2008
nickinpa04 wrote:
W. Allen High School is NOT your father's school anymore.
We used to have decent football teams at Allen... At a minimum, we were at least competitive.

I know one of the problems is the flight of the middle class from Allentown to the townships. I strongly suspect that many of the parents of the Parkland and Whitehall players went to either Allen or Dieruff. What's left that goes to Allen these days are more interested in gangs and skipping school than they are in athlethics. Especially a sport that starts in the spring with weight training and you don't even snap a ball until summer.

However, I know if I were the coach the first thing I would go is get rid of those horrid uniforms.

Since: Mar 07

Allentown PA

#15 Jan 8, 2008
Mojo wrote:
Allen isn't a place where kids and their parents live in $400K + houses and drive drive BMW's to school. It's called the real world.
It wasn't when I went to school there in the early 70's either...
comment

Korea

#16 Jan 9, 2008
It was for my class at Trexler. Attorney Scoblionko daughter once mentioned her father had 12 cars. Another student live in a house with 22 rooms on 29th Street, her father was a geologist for Exxon.

There used to be very wealthy people who called Allentown home including Max Hess and Phil Berman.

This was late 70's early 1980s.
Oh and Ten

Winchester, VA

#17 Jan 9, 2008
Elaine McElroy wrote:
WOW!! I can not get over all the negative comments from people for a man putting his family first! Let ME pose a few questions: Have any of you ever coached? Have you coached in an inner city? Have you seen Allen lately? Between the gangs, the kids who DON'T show up for practice, let alone the games, the kids who have NEVER played football in their lives, yet think they are T.O.,(oh wait, they act like him with none of the talent) the antics on the sidelines, the disrespect shown to the coaches, I say the man is one smart guy to get out while he still has breath in him! Thank god for his family needing him! Because otherwise the life would be sucked right out of him!!!
Seems like you have come up with every reason possible that it was not a family issue.
Just like I thought.
Oh and Ten

Winchester, VA

#18 Jan 9, 2008
Mojo wrote:
To all the Limeport ($outhern Lehigh School District)knuckleheads, get a life. They don't even know how to spell football there. They have been the laughingstock of the JV CL league for years. How many coaches have you gone through in the past years? They haven't haven't had to put up 1/10th of the "off" the field nonsense this man has had to.
Allen isn't a place where kids and their parents live in $400K + houses and drive drive BMW's to school. It's called the real world.
Don't understand the segue to SL, but I do agree about the knucklehead part - especially their Athletic Department leadership there.
Kim Klein

Bethlehem, PA

#19 Jan 9, 2008
to all who who are quick to sit at their computers and comment on Allen and coaching etc....get a real life.
If you are derogatory about it - get off your computer and go contribute to a kids life or athletic career...or those who comment about Allen not being Allen anymore - yeah you are right - but there are people like us, still here with our kids trying to keep "hope afloat" - or are you one of those who need to run and hide at the suburban schools and jump on their bandwagons - and for those who don't realize that right now if you have a senior it is "big time" college recruiting time, Andy and his kid needs to be focused right now...
so as I said before - quit "Whining and complaining" and quit blogging and go do something "Constructive" for a change- at least Andy put forth an effort - more than some of you people are doing.......
thetruth

Bethlehem, PA

#20 Jan 9, 2008
Commenting on the comments on Allen coaching makes you have how much more of a life? Some people have downtime at work to read the news and like to have their opinions expressed. I coach two basketball teams and currently am involved in many kids lives which I why I question this story. The excuse of, Allentown is bad so he had to get out, isn't enough. Now you know why these kids turn out how they do.. because nobody else cares enough to stick with them and make a difference.
Commenting on Allen

Winchester, VA

#21 Jan 9, 2008
Kim Klein wrote:
to all who who are quick to sit at their computers and comment on Allen and coaching etc....get a real life.
If you are derogatory about it - get off your computer and go contribute to a kids life or athletic career...or those who comment about Allen not being Allen anymore - yeah you are right - but there are people like us, still here with our kids trying to keep "hope afloat" - or are you one of those who need to run and hide at the suburban schools and jump on their bandwagons - and for those who don't realize that right now if you have a senior it is "big time" college recruiting time, Andy and his kid needs to be focused right now...
so as I said before - quit "Whining and complaining" and quit blogging and go do something "Constructive" for a change- at least Andy put forth an effort - more than some of you people are doing.......
Maybe Coach P should not have taken the job in the first place rather than making up the tired and old "family issues" excuse now.
If you are going to take a job, you should stick with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High School Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Student-athletes get boost from talent service ... (Sep '10) Mon JackmeOff 15
News How a Marine from Michigan made the military hi... Jul 20 Ray 1
News Charter Oak takes charge (Dec '08) May '16 long time charger 24
News Smith: Boys hoops scene still unclear (Dec '09) Mar '16 Aztec Tiger 10
News Mercyhurst Prep girls soccer suspended from pla... (Sep '12) Mar '16 Erie 5
News Prep football players look to continue their ca... Feb '16 Fart news 2
News 16 New Year's resolutions for Las Vegas in 2016 (Jan '16) Feb '16 Local 2
More from around the web