Steve Navaroli: West York blessed wit...

Steve Navaroli: West York blessed with special coach

There are 36 comments on the GameTimePA.com story from Nov 27, 2009, titled Steve Navaroli: West York blessed with special coach. In it, GameTimePA.com reports that:

Ron Miller is an emotional guy. Being an emotional guy myself, I am totally cool with that.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GameTimePA.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WY pride

Loris, SC

#21 Nov 29, 2009
From A Way Back wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely NOT...The 50's, WEST YORK BULLDOGS have been playing football since the 30's...check it out.
I hope you get my point My fault if the dates are not right. But seems that we do have some folks that understand West York has been pretty good before the coming of Miller!!!
RAH

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Nov 29, 2009
WY pride wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you get my point My fault if the dates are not right. But seems that we do have some folks that understand West York has been pretty good before the coming of Miller!!!
To me records are always broken....and so will BEST EVERS! Bottom line WY HAS and DOES work hard at its Sports programs, whatever the SPORT!!!

Go Dawgs!
Central Alum

York, PA

#23 Nov 30, 2009
Wow! I’m not even from West York and I’m appalled at what I am reading. I can’t believe I’m going to reply about West York again, but I cannot hold myself back!
From what I read, the people who wrote nice things were referring to what the present-day coaches did for their sons. I didn’t read anywhere where they said they thought that this team was the best ever. They did not denigrate any of the past coaches, but those coaches had nothing to do with these players of today. Perhaps some of the responses by the parents were a bit schmaltzy, but hey, their kids are graduating, they have good reason to be emotional and from where I sit, good reason to be proud as well.
To the folks (read jackasses) who felt they had to write something derogatory, besides your ramblings being almost completely disjointed and senseless, they were quite obviously bitter. If you were players under those coaches of yore, you didn’t do them a kindness with your resentful and sulky tirades. In fact, you should apologize to those coaches of yesteryear as obviously, whatever they may have tried to teach you about class and manners, did not stick.
WY pride

Chicago, IL

#24 Nov 30, 2009
Central Alum wrote:
Wow! I’m not even from West York and I’m appalled at what I am reading. I can’t believe I’m going to reply about West York again, but I cannot hold myself back!
From what I read, the people who wrote nice things were referring to what the present-day coaches did for their sons. I didn’t read anywhere where they said they thought that this team was the best ever. They did not denigrate any of the past coaches, but those coaches had nothing to do with these players of today. Perhaps some of the responses by the parents were a bit schmaltzy, but hey, their kids are graduating, they have good reason to be emotional and from where I sit, good reason to be proud as well.
To the folks (read jackasses) who felt they had to write something derogatory, besides your ramblings being almost completely disjointed and senseless, they were quite obviously bitter. If you were players under those coaches of yore, you didn’t do them a kindness with your resentful and sulky tirades. In fact, you should apologize to those coaches of yesteryear as obviously, whatever they may have tried to teach you about class and manners, did not stick.
You just don't get it, when you say that the past coaches have nothing to do with present players you are wrong. A lot of these players have parents that are x West york players and they learned the pride that comes from this town, coaches, players, school. I just hope someday you understand past leads to future. No one is taking away from what these kids and coaches have done, just add another line to the West York history book, and stop using best ever!!!!
highschool fan

United States

#25 Nov 30, 2009
To WY Pride not quite what your point is? Central Alum is clear in what she writes and never says that the parents are saying Miller's era is the best. But its hard to argue that they aren't. We all know that West York has a long history of playing good football. In this case you can't compare the 60's with the past decade. What would your measurement be since districts were not played until the early 80's. Gary Adams who played on the '68 team said they were great but we would never know how great on account of 10 games is all they played. So if your afraid of someone voicing an opinion on today's players vs. years gone by like the Stoner and Bupp coached era for fear of forgetting their due respect in 'dog history i pity you. But i will say it. Last years team was the best in school history and Real was the best back to ever play there and last but not least the '06 and '07 and even the '09 teams had alot to do with the '08 team being the best one there ever. So now i can at least satisfy your little past that leads to the future theory. Oh and Ron Miller coached those years
WY pride

Chicago, IL

#26 Nov 30, 2009
You make my point again. You can not compare than to now, or best ever than or now. At a school like WY it is just a great list of coaches and players.
yorkhigh fan 82

Manheim, PA

#27 Nov 30, 2009
westyork has the best football team in the county and maybe in southcentral pa great coaching staff but you also have to give chad toomey the midget coach his props to
Central Alum

York, PA

#28 Nov 30, 2009
WY pride wrote:
<quoted text>You just don't get it, when you say that the past coaches have nothing to do with present players you are wrong. A lot of these players have parents that are x West york players and they learned the pride that comes from this town, coaches, players, school. I just hope someday you understand past leads to future. No one is taking away from what these kids and coaches have done, just add another line to the West York history book, and stop using best ever!!!!
…and I hope someday, you learn reading comprehension. I’m afraid it is you who “just don’t get it”. The point, if you would bother to read rather than just be a bitter whatever, is that the current coaches are the one’s who have worked with these players, not the coaches of the past. To say that the coaches of the past had as much to do with it through the players parents seems a desperate stretch…even for you. Once again, you write that I (and presumably others) should “stop using best ever”. I will try to write this with the smallest single syllable words that I can…’no one but you has used the “best ever” words’.
Finally, and this is taking more time than you are worth, I firmly believe that you, and no one else, IS “taking away from what these kids and coaches have done”. Unless it was to simply be moronic, you did not have a discernable point when you first wrote in, and I am at pains to find one in any of your other replies.
Larry Gay

Philadelphia, PA

#29 Nov 30, 2009
Central Alum, thank you for your non-biased response to WY Pride. You have stated things about as well as I could have stated them without being rude or redundent.

The article is about Ron Miller as a coach and his impact at West York since coming to West York. I was coached by Terry Bupp and respected Coach Bupp and his accomplishments then, and I still do. My son was not impacted by or coached by Terry Bupp, he was coached by Ron Miller. Ron Miller has had a great impact on my son and my wife has already posted a response in appreciation to him. If you were never coached by Ron Miller, you would not understand the responses and the gratitude expressed to him. If you never had a son impacted by his coaching you would not understand. If you do not know the man, you would never understand. From where I am sitting, pure and simple you WY Pride, do not understand. I would not expect you to understand, as it appears you have not been coached by him or had a son coached by him. The article is about Ron Miller, not the History of West York Football and our responses are appropriate. No where in the article does it state that he has a perfect program with perfect kids that toe the line and never cross it. He is coaching high school football and players make choices that are less than perfect, yet he seems to have a knack of handling those situations ina a way that keeps the respect of the individual player, the team and the community. I am sure there are going to be openings in some of the local high schools for coaches for next year and I would challenge any critics to step into his turf as a high school coach and do what he has done since arriving at West York.

Thank you again to Central Alum for your understanding to Steve Navaroli for writing this article and to Coach Miller and his staff for making Dan's high school football experience a great one.

Larry Gay
Question

United States

#30 Nov 30, 2009
Why such a low number of payers? I hope they keep winning so more than just a few get a chance to be impacted. Well wait this sr class won 34 games I guess that won't help. How many JV games did West York play this Year? Yeah thats right not enough kids, its a shame more kids don't play so they could all be impacted by this great coach. How many kids did not come out this year? Why such a low # of kids? did I really see only 13 srs? Heck when I pull up Max preps most school in AAA playoffs have 45 or 50 players on the team.
WYFAN1212

Grand Rapids, MI

#31 Nov 30, 2009
Question wrote:
Why such a low number of payers? I hope they keep winning so more than just a few get a chance to be impacted. Well wait this sr class won 34 games I guess that won't help. How many JV games did West York play this Year? Yeah thats right not enough kids, its a shame more kids don't play so they could all be impacted by this great coach. How many kids did not come out this year? Why such a low # of kids? did I really see only 13 srs? Heck when I pull up Max preps most school in AAA playoffs have 45 or 50 players on the team.
Ron Miller runs a very strict program. No long hair, no ear rings and you have to be ready to work hard year around.. So a lot of kids quite when they dont feel like keepin up with the grades and the strict rules.. buts thats just the way they like it..
highschool fan

United States

#32 Dec 1, 2009
"Question" Each Sunday before the first practice Ron Miller has a parents/players meeting. At that meeting he goes over all the rules. He will tell the parents that all the kids are varsity players first. Alot of schools only dress around 35 kids. So if that school uses 25-28 kids for a varsity game Fri. night they won't play a jv game Mon. Same with West york if he uses alot of players Friday he won't play Mon. That is how i saw it in the '06 and '07 fall seasons. They play only around 5 JV games. Then when its later in the year he won't risk getting players hurt in Jv games on account of districts coming. I know it upset parents about lack of JV games but he tells you up front at the meeting. West York's booster site lists 49 players on its roster at the beginning of the '09 season.
Amused in York

York, PA

#33 Dec 1, 2009
Hey WY Pride (not). In ‘The Varsity Beat' from last Saturday, in an article titled ”The day after: West York-Susquehanna Township”, John Clayton wrote some very similar things about West York and her coaches that the West York parents have been putting in. I wanted to point this out to you so that you can give John Clayton a call and straighten him out as well <that was sarcasm in case you missed it>.
Notafanofbupp

York, PA

#34 Apr 25, 2013
All I know is that I have absolutely no respect for terry bupp. He thought he could break me and could not. He abused me In his office but that's ok.. I made a success of my life and make no excuses and never have.
More to come later on a different channel ...
moses

Columbia, PA

#35 May 26, 2013
who gives a rats about west york! we r thee only team who has bested u guys the last 70 years.
moses

Columbia, PA

#36 May 26, 2013
i challenge any west york football team to win 34 games in a row, then i will give u guys credit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High School Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Matadors hire Troy Starr to coach football team Jan 19 killershark 1
News St. Helena's 12-6 semifinal win over Ferriday t... Dec '17 FerridayTrojons2017 1
News T-Birds run past Eagles (Aug '09) Nov '17 Canutillo sucks 34
News NL drafts new football coach (Feb '10) Nov '17 3sectionchamps 26
News Could Fischl be next Viking football coach? (Jan '10) Nov '17 3sectionchamps 16
News Millard eager for rematch with Bucs (Oct '10) Oct '17 IsPhartz 3
News Student-athletes get boost from talent service ... (Sep '10) Oct '17 Aj Hodel is a sca... 18
More from around the web