Steve Navaroli: West York blessed wit...

Steve Navaroli: West York blessed with special coach

There are 36 comments on the GameTimePA.com story from Nov 27, 2009, titled Steve Navaroli: West York blessed with special coach. In it, GameTimePA.com reports that:

Ron Miller is an emotional guy. Being an emotional guy myself, I am totally cool with that.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GameTimePA.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WYFAN

AOL

#1 Nov 27, 2009
No regrets. Nothing to be ashamed of. What a run. Thanks for everything coach Miller and the West York Bulldogs.
WY Parent

Edgemont, PA

#2 Nov 27, 2009
I have never been more proud to say I am a West York Bulldog then I am tonight. To Coach Miller and his staff, you guys are incredible and I can't express my appreciation enough for what you have done for this program. The way those young men played their hearts out tonight and never gave up is a testament to the way you and your staff prepare these young men week in and week out. We at West York are truly blessed to have a coach and staff as dedicated as you are.
Diggeretz

Culver City, CA

#3 Nov 27, 2009
Thank you to Steve Navaroli for this article. You have pegged it all with your words.

Those of us close to the West York program know that this is the type of man we have molding and leading our kids and I for one am grateful.

To those that Monday morning quarterback him, or the rest of the staff, I assure you that you cannot hold a candle to anyone of them. Coach Miller, Coach Jones, Coach Snelbaker, Coach Munscher, Coach Rinehart, Coach Senft and Coach Besore, Thank you. Thank you for helping to make my son into the young man he is today and for making his career at West York one worth savoring. You have given the West York Community so much to celebrate, including back to back years of eating donuts on Thanksgiving day. It hurts now, but the memories we have will far out live the pain of this evening. Thank you.
RAH

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Nov 28, 2009
Your right Coach....Jimmy 'V' would say 'Number Four is REPEAT steps One-Three DAILY!!!' GREAT Team, GREAT Band, GREAT Fans, GREAT Cheerleaders, GREAT School & Community.......BUT MOST IMPORTANT ......GREAT FAMILIES!!!!!

(BOW..WOW..WOW..WOW...WOWWWW!)

Since: Oct 09

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Nov 28, 2009
Thank you doesn't even begin to say what this coaching staff has done for my senior.
You came at just the right time in his life and you gave him three years of sheer enjoyment. Football was always his number one love and you came in and taught him that with a work ethic you could achieve great things. But you also demanded that these boys be gentlemen, you insisted on please and thank you's,opening of doors,respect for everyone,humbleness,team work, we all win or we all lose. There defin. is no I in team.
Your accomplishments on the field is documented in the numbers in the papers and on the world wide web for all to see. But I want to thank you for giving all you gave,sacrificing all you did, to make sure these boys succeeded in all areas of their character. Winning a championship and making history did not give anyone the reason to get big headed and act to fool, so to speak.
Instead you showed them how to win and make history with poise and humbleness along with great pride and respect for each other. You taught them that.
When I think back on these three years I will remember the work ethic and character that you and your coaches helped to create in my son. You helped make my job as a parent so much easier, homecoming nights,prom nights after party temptations were just not going to happen, you told them how much they could lose. You were the other reason to "Just say no" to all the typical teenager temptations and I Thank You.
Be very proud of all that you have given these boys
they have a watch,jacket and a lot of memories, but more important than all that is what can't be seen right now. Know that you are a part of all they will become.

To Coach Ron Miller,Coach Jones,
Coach Snelbaker,Coach Munscher,
Coach Rinehart,Coach Senft and Coach Beshore
I thank you and Alex thanks you..
Kristi George
Jane Gay

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Nov 28, 2009
Coaches,

Words cannot begin to communicate effectively how I feel about the impact you have had on my son’s life the past three years, but they will have to do. I know it starts with football, but that is only on the surface. The love of the sport definitely brings players and coaches together, but it only touches the surface as to what you have taught Daniel the past three years. Here are just a few of the things he has learned that extend way beyond a game on the gridiron:

• The value of hard work and discipline… even when you just don’t feel like it
• Being committed to a team… through the good and bad
• Building up a team… realizing that every member is important… when there is one weak link, it affects the whole team
• Learning how to enjoy the moments of success as well as face the heartache of disappointment
• Allowing oneself to feel the raw emotion that comes with it all
• Learning to work through moments when things just don’t go the way they are expected… working all the harder to achieve dreams and goals.
• Learning how to lead others… learning how to serve in leadership

More importantly than any of these things listed above, Daniel has watched each and every one of you model true leadership as coaches. You demonstrate love for your players each day as you care for them as young men beyond their football ability. Each of them notices your care and concern for the boys off the field. I believe this is why you have had the success you have had. They want to perform for you because they know you care about them and love them.

You must know what you have done, what you do everyday, and how very much I am indebted to each of you for pouring yourselves into Dan’s life. He will never be the same because of each of you, and I am truly grateful.

Sincerely,

Jane Gay
Bulldog fan

AOL

#7 Nov 28, 2009
What a nice article on Coach Miller. I don't have a son on the football team, but I do have a daughter in the colorguard and what you have done to this community through your leadership of the WY football program is out of this world. Anyone who says bad things about you truly doesn't know you. What you and your fine staff have done for WY athletes is why I am so PROUD to be part of the WY FAMILY! Thank you Coach and staff-keep up the GREAT WORK!!
GO BULLDOGS!!! Can't wait for next year!!!
James Jones

Fort Wayne, IN

#8 Nov 28, 2009
First, I would like to congratulate the West York Bulldogs and the coaching staff on an incredible 2009 Football Season. Second, I wish all the Seniors well on their future success. Third, I would like to express to all the parents who opened their homes and hearts to my son Corey Harris the past 3 years. It is really appreciated from my wife and I. To Coach Miller, we have had a lot of talks, and text messages concerning Corey. Sometimes it was good and the other times it was about you and I comimg together to get Corey in line and focused. It was a struggle at times but with the help from his away from home football dad to assist me, it worked out well. Coach Miller and your coaching staff you guys are second to none when it comes to helping these young men learn life lessons. Thank you. WE ARE!!!!!!!!!!

Since: Dec 07

York, PA

#9 Nov 28, 2009
If any of you West York parents would like to officially submit your eloquent thoughts as Letters to the Editor to be printed in the York Daily Record/Sunday News, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] Some of you could just cut-and-paste your well-written thoughts from above. Include your full name and municipality of residence in your e-mail to me. Thanks.-- Chris Otto
West York Fan

Berwick, PA

#10 Nov 28, 2009
I would like to say a collective thank you to Steve
Navaroli for his wonderful article and to all of you that responded on-line in appreciation to Coach and his staff. Also thanks to the fathers that gave me a pep talk before the Connestoga Valley game and to all of the great parents and West York fans, your support mean so much to me. My son has told me not to post on-line because I tend to get over-protective at times but hopefully he won't mind this post.
Sincerely,
Sharon Miller
Coach's Mom
Big Fan

Culver City, CA

#11 Nov 28, 2009
Thanks to Steve for a "right-on" feature story.

I have daughters, no sons, so I will not have the privilege of having my girls coached by the class act and supreme role model that is Ron Miller. Unfortunately, the girls have not drawn Ron as a classroom teacher either.

Watching how this man has molded raw youth into outstanding young men leaves me speechless. Ron Miller is truly a special person. These young men will recover from this heartbreak, because that's one of the many lessons they've learned from their coach and his staff.

I would like to thank this senior class and the entire coaching staff for "the ride" of the past two years. It will never be forgotten.
Wy Mom

Scranton, PA

#12 Nov 28, 2009
I'd like to thank Steve also for a great article on Coach Miller. Miller has taught these boys soooo many of life lessons through the game of football.These lessons will stick with them for the rest of their lives. He and his staff are the most devoted, committed, caring team of coaches I've ever come across in years of parenting and being in education. Every one of these men have sacrificed time and time again for these boys and love them like they are their own. Miller, Jones, Munsch, Snelbaker,Senft, Beshore, and Rinehart are men truly to be admired for dedication of shaping young people's lives. I have daughters and sons and I'm proud to say that my children look up to these men as heroes and role models. I would also like to thank the wives and families of these great coaches. They, too, are dedicated and giving more than most people realize. Thanks to all of you for being a large part of our lives, both in our school family and in the community. We can never tell you nearly enough how much all of you are appreciated.
RAH

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Nov 29, 2009
Wy Mom wrote:
I'd like to thank Steve also for a great article on Coach Miller. Miller has taught these boys soooo many of life lessons through the game of football.These lessons will stick with them for the rest of their lives. He and his staff are the most devoted, committed, caring team of coaches I've ever come across in years of parenting and being in education. Every one of these men have sacrificed time and time again for these boys and love them like they are their own. Miller, Jones, Munsch, Snelbaker,Senft, Beshore, and Rinehart are men truly to be admired for dedication of shaping young people's lives. I have daughters and sons and I'm proud to say that my children look up to these men as heroes and role models. I would also like to thank the wives and families of these great coaches. They, too, are dedicated and giving more than most people realize. Thanks to all of you for being a large part of our lives, both in our school family and in the community. We can never tell you nearly enough how much all of you are appreciated.
Great to hear so many well wishes. I do think the comment about the coaches families is not given enough CREDIT? As hard as the PLAYERS take losing the COACHES take it harder. One WY great "Shirley Heckard" wife to TOM HECKARD (WY Coach) said one time when asked how is Tom when the team loses.........said "I'm there with SOUP and SYMPATHY, that's all I can do" Eat up DAWGS, next year is going to be here SOON!!
highschool fan

York, PA

#14 Nov 29, 2009
To Mrs.Gay and Alex George's mother and to the Campbell's and all the other parents present and past from Miller's past 4 years. You could not be any more right. I too had the fortune of having a son play 2 years for him. He and his staff truly make this program work. For 4 years now i never saw a group of kids who have enjoyed the experience as much as these kids do. I too would take my son to the 6:30 AM gatherings and all the other practices that was demanded. The kids never complained and if you watched them practice they were actually enjoying themselves. Miller would condition them both physically and most important mentally all in the same moment. Again you parents should be proud. He is a great coach and to all the new parents coming in next year you won't be disappointed.
BDParent

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Nov 29, 2009
West York coaches and families,
For me to tell you not to be disappointed at the Susquehanna game would be both arrogant and ignorant. Indeed, you coaches and your players have earned the right to be disappointed and no one should try to take that from you. But when you and the all the guys have recovered from this hairs-breadth loss, please allow yourselves a quiet moment to reflect upon your incredible accomplishments these last few years. I know I will and I’m pretty sure my son will too. As stated by both Jane Gay and Christie George, the attempt to put our gratitude into words is a monumental task and this is my feeble attempt at it. When I think of the fine young man my son has become, I know in my heart that you gentlemen played no small part in that. I would encourage other West York parents whose sons might be considering “going out for the team” to urge them to do so. Whether they become a superstar or rarely get on the field, they will learn some very important tools to take with them through their lives. They will learn what it means to be a part of something much bigger than themselves. They will learn what it means to sacrifice for a common goal. They will learn that being a respectful and well-mannered example to other students places them on the level of “champion” before they ever even hit the field. I too extend my sincere thanks to the families of the coaches as well as the players for sacrificing time and effort into making my sons football experience at West York so special. While surely, the seeds of greatness were already in these young men, you coaches have an innate talent for bringing it out of them in spades. In life, it will serve our young men well to know what it means to be “all in” on something larger than themselves and what dividends such commitment can pay. Finally, I can only say it in simple words…thanks coaches and Bulldog families for a season to remember.
Jim and Elaine Kosalek
WY pride

Loris, SC

#16 Nov 29, 2009
Coach Miller tell these people that you are doing your job. This is starting to get sick, this man and his staff did not do this over night. I was at the game friday night and saw a lot of the same people that I saw when I played in the 80's. Thats the difference, the support that WY shows to all of the sports is what makes Wy better. It is not hard to get people to buy in at WY. Please be careful how much praise you give the coaches, I am sure you do not know everything. Reals cheating, the kid that disfaced DT school last year, The players that showed up at a teachers house drinking this year, and I am sure a lot more. Do I think he has done a good job, YES just should not get the keys to county. You should be thanking the youth programs from way back and all the coaches from the past that made the folks from WY buy in this thing all started back when Coach Heckert was the coach. This football program has always been great and every player from the past and every coach from the past should be pissed because football did not start when Miller got to West York. Good job coach but don't forget football has been at west york a long time and a lot of great people have been involed before you and your staff. You might want to think about that before you start saying best ever. Best right now in this time yes. 1965-66 best ever, 1983 best ever, 1988 best ever, 1991 best ever, 2008 best ever. This Sr. class Co/ champs lost in District semis Not best ever that is a coach that wants everyone to think he is the reason. Its the program that started back in the 50's, winning at WY always!!!
ProudBulldogFan

Camp Hill, PA

#17 Nov 29, 2009
Get your years right, it was 67 and 68 not 65 and 66. Please do not take anything away from coach Miller and his staff becasuse I have been a West Yorker for a long time. I went to West York and my kids went to West York, my son played football for West York and I can see the difference in Coach Miller compared to some of the previous coaches. I am not saying anything bad about the former coaches but I definately see something special in coach Miller. I know what kind of family coach Miller came from because at the very first game West York played with coach Miller coaching I was sitting near his parents and I had the opportunity to talk and get to know his parents and I can see why coach Miller is special. He comes from a caring family and it shows why he is such a caring coach. When I read about him allowing his players to choose to kick for the tie or go for two to win the game with Conestoga Valley I thought to myself when my son played for West York the coach at that time would never allowed such a thing. All I want to say is that I can see something special in coach Miller. I don't live in the West York area any more but I will always be a West York fan. I told my kids that when they buy a house they need to buy one in the West York school district (once a dog always a dog). I drive down from Harrisburg every week to see my Bulldogs play and I know if I lived further away I would drive to see them. Again thank you to all the coaches, players, parents, band members, cheerleaders and everyone associated with the football program. It was a time to remember and I for one will never forget these times. I am now looking forward to next year. GO DAWGS!!!!!!
WorshipperOfGold enImages

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Nov 29, 2009
Bet most of you also voted for oBOMBo. It IS only a game, don't have to make it into a Crusade. There is only one GOD...I think???
Kudos to ALL athletes in EVERY school/sport!
From A Way Back

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Nov 29, 2009
WY pride wrote:
Coach Miller tell these people that you are doing your job. This is starting to get sick, this man and his staff did not do this over night. I was at the game friday night and saw a lot of the same people that I saw when I played in the 80's. Thats the difference, the support that WY shows to all of the sports is what makes Wy better. It is not hard to get people to buy in at WY. Please be careful how much praise you give the coaches, I am sure you do not know everything. Reals cheating, the kid that disfaced DT school last year, The players that showed up at a teachers house drinking this year, and I am sure a lot more. Do I think he has done a good job, YES just should not get the keys to county. You should be thanking the youth programs from way back and all the coaches from the past that made the folks from WY buy in this thing all started back when Coach Heckert was the coach. This football program has always been great and every player from the past and every coach from the past should be pissed because football did not start when Miller got to West York. Good job coach but don't forget football has been at west york a long time and a lot of great people have been involed before you and your staff. You might want to think about that before you start saying best ever. Best right now in this time yes. 1965-66 best ever, 1983 best ever, 1988 best ever, 1991 best ever, 2008 best ever. This Sr. class Co/ champs lost in District semis Not best ever that is a coach that wants everyone to think he is the reason. Its the program that started back in the 50's, winning at WY always!!!
Absolutely NOT...The 50's, WEST YORK BULLDOGS have been playing football since the 30's...check it out.
WOW

Loris, SC

#20 Nov 29, 2009
Hide the Kool Aid, and do not get on the UFO. Miller you should ask all parents for $10,000.00 right now. Wow!!!! Hope you don't lose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High School Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Midwest City pushes around Del City for big riv... Sep 16 usandthem 1
News High school football: Capital looks to speed pa... (Aug '12) Sep 15 Seriously 12
News Lopez rushes San Diego past Taft (Nov '11) Sep 3 cole 10
News Kennedy graduate designs special shirts for fin... Aug 28 Kevin 1
News TDL: Two-A-Days - Leesville Wampus Cats Aug '17 Fanman 1
News Wossman files complaint with LHSAA about West M... Aug '17 Fanman 2
News Iowa State Players in Professional Football: Pa... Jul '17 Part Phartse 4
More from around the web