Rams outlast Jackrabbits

Full story: Long Beach Press-Telegram

Call this the year of broken streaks. Millikan, which last beat Poly in 1985, a year after the Los Angeles Olympics and three years before the last Dodgers World Series win, snapped a 24-year losing streak to the Jackrabbits with a rousing 35-34, double-overtime win on the Rams' home field.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 60 of68
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
LBC observer

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

Judged:

Passer By wrote:
Again, Lara is a great coach...just not a head coach!!! He's best at D-Cordnat'n. Deffense is not Poly Deffense. It hasn't since Lara hired "what's his name that put his son in durring the Lakewood game when he should have remained on the sideline". Special Teams ****!!! Why is Rob Shock coaching. He has no idea what he is doing? How can you expect to win football games when the head coach is still yet learning how to be an offensive coordinator? This goes for some of the other coaches like Rob Shock. Shock has no idea what he is doing. As for Turley...He isn't playing Poly D. He is playing deffense but it's not poly deffense.
Again Lara bringing in close friends to run a program rich in tradition and their kids that are not deservant of playing time. Maybe Turley should take his son back to st. Anthony where he came from. How does one come from a losing program like st. Anthony to become defensive coord. at Poly? Or a team therapyst like Shock becoming the special teams coach? Another bad decision which is now commonplace with Lara. Millikan simply out played and out coached us bottom line no excuses. Congratulations to you Millikan Rams job well done!!!!
Cat

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

Judged:

Poly has been a dominant powerhouse for years. This is refreshing watching them know the other side of the game.
LBC observer

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

Judged:

Cat wrote:
Poly has been a dominant powerhouse for years. This is refreshing watching them know the other side of the game.
We aren't the only ones having a down year. Mater Dei, O Lu and Corona Centennial are also having having a tough go round with the traditionally mediocre teams. Division 1 and 2 is up for grabs this year so maybe the San Diego section will have a chance to squeak by the traditional powers. My pick is Edison and/or Crenshaw along with st bonny.
wow

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

Judged:

mooreleaguewatcher wrote:
Awesome High School football.
What is up with all those penalties POLY? Maybe a little player discipline might curb that. Maybe they should just let some of those POLY coaches go to the bleachers, as it would appear that they are not coaching sportsmanship!
Such an absorbent waste of tax dollars to have as many coaches on the POLY sideline as there were MILLIKAN players?(or really close to it)
Don't get me wrong, High School sports need to be funded, absolutely, however, my question is,"How many coaches does it take?" Send a few to Jordan or Cabrillo and build our Moore League up to a more balanced group of teams.
Way to go MILLIKAN, an obvious good use of public funds to teach a group of boys that winning can happen with proper discipline!
Way to go Coaches that volunteer their time and passion for a sport that is awesome to watch!
Those were not all coaches....Poly has their own probation officers assigned to monitor the team.
Passer By

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

Judged:

LBC observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Again Lara bringing in close friends to run a program rich in tradition and their kids that are not deservant of playing time. Maybe Turley should take his son back to st. Anthony where he came from. How does one come from a losing program like st. Anthony to become defensive coord. at Poly? Or a team therapyst like Shock becoming the special teams coach? Another bad decision which is now commonplace with Lara. Millikan simply out played and out coached us bottom line no excuses. Congratulations to you Millikan Rams job well done!!!!
Agree with you 100%. Though I'm a grad of poly and a former player myself, I am glad that Millikan and Lakewood took it to them this year. Just further expose Lara's lack of coaching. Kudo's to the parents who are seeing the same thing I'm seeing. No wonder they are going to other schools. The Poly kids deserve so much more. Imagine this!!! Coach Jaso never left to go to LBCC!!! WOW!!! How many more kids could be in college!!! WOW!!!
The Rest of The Story

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Joe wrote:
Seems like Poly supporter have all gathered here to make excuses for the loss to the Rams. I guess Poly supporters believe when the win its due to their skill and when they lose its due to injuries, penalties, the refs, ill players or other excuses. I have seen Poly teams play in the past. Very talented players speed, strength, head for the game, but very undiscipline.
Let me help you understand the difference between excuses and the truth - Several of the Poly starters were sick or injured and did not play and that changes the out come of this game! If Poly plays Millikan in the playoffs Poly will win and by more than a few points if Poly played Lakewood again there is about a 90% chance that Lakewood would win. No difference in players from game 1 to game 2 for Poly/Lakewood game except Poly QB would have more than 1 game under his belt. Let me give you another example - 07-08 girl's basketball - Poly played in a bunch of tournaments out of state got back on a Sunday and went to school Monday & lost to the Millikan girl's that night... both teams had all of their players but Poly's team was tired from travel & lost by 5 points - Millikan fans called that an excuse - Poly plays Millikan again not so tired and wins by 13 & Millikan fans call it a fluke so Poly plays Millikan for the CIF Championship and beats them by 33 points - No fluke no excuse just the truth! Do you understand now?
THE KING OF LONG BEACH

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Judged:

The Rest of The Story wrote:
<quoted text>Let me help you understand the difference between excuses and the truth - Several of the Poly starters were sick or injured and did not play and that changes the out come of this game! If Poly plays Millikan in the playoffs Poly will win and by more than a few points if Poly played Lakewood again there is about a 90% chance that Lakewood would win. No difference in players from game 1 to game 2 for Poly/Lakewood game except Poly QB would have more than 1 game under his belt. Let me give you another example - 07-08 girl's basketball - Poly played in a bunch of tournaments out of state got back on a Sunday and went to school Monday & lost to the Millikan girl's that night... both teams had all of their players but Poly's team was tired from travel & lost by 5 points - Millikan fans called that an excuse - Poly plays Millikan again not so tired and wins by 13 & Millikan fans call it a fluke so Poly plays Millikan for the CIF Championship and beats them by 33 points - No fluke no excuse just the truth! Do you understand now?
Payers get sick or hurt that's why you have to prepare the rest of the players to play when the time comes. That's not the rest of the story, its just a bunch of excuses, if Poly would have beat Millikan last night you would not saying this and if the girls would have won in 07-08 you the other tournaments would not have been a issue. Who scheduled the tournaments out of state? It's all part of the game stop crying. There are reasons for every lost, ths is what happens when the coaches can't make the proper adjustments.
XLB

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

With "The Rest of the Story" there is always excuses. You have to get used to it. I have in these last couple of years. Excuses are the rest of the story. That is all he says. When the Wilson girls basketball team almost upset Poly in 06-07 he said it was because a lot of the Poly girls were sick with the flu. When Millikan girls played Poly in 2008 and won it was because Poly underestimated every Moore League team that year. Why schedule a game in Minnesota two days before the start of league? But, Poly did kick Millikan's butt in the Pyramid. What is the excuse this year when Poly lost to Cajon in the CIF finals this year? What about the football team this year? Five losses this year. I guess every player on Poly must have Swine Flu or something. Poly better win out the rest of the year if not....we will never know if Poly could beat Lakewood or Millikan again.
Remind me again...why the girls basketball team had to forfeit all of their games a couple of years ago. I like how you always have your version of "the rest of the story".
The beat goes on

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Nearly all the Poly football coaches are unpaid volunteers. They work full-time jobs, then come to coach.

Coach Lara recieves $4,000 a year. He shares that with some of the volunteers. He works a full time job, midnight to 8am.
mooreleaguewatcher wrote:
Awesome High School football.
What is up with all those penalties POLY? Maybe a little player discipline might curb that. Maybe they should just let some of those POLY coaches go to the bleachers, as it would appear that they are not coaching sportsmanship!
Such an absorbent waste of tax dollars to have as many coaches on the POLY sideline as there were MILLIKAN players?(or really close to it)
Don't get me wrong, High School sports need to be funded, absolutely, however, my question is,"How many coaches does it take?" Send a few to Jordan or Cabrillo and build our Moore League up to a more balanced group of teams.
Way to go MILLIKAN, an obvious good use of public funds to teach a group of boys that winning can happen with proper discipline!
Way to go Coaches that volunteer their time and passion for a sport that is awesome to watch!
please

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Despite every negative comment on here, ANY team (Save De La Salle) in the state would love to change positions with Poly and our tradition. It's not good year by Poly standards, but the talent is there. Despite their own MISTAKES in their last three losses, they have only lost by two TD's and an extra point in total. With much improved discipline, I could see them getting to the CIF Semi's. Although frustrating, we have to be patient and depend on Lara, who is the most successful coach in the CIF, by a long way.
WOW

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

It is what it is. Poly is down this year, no excuses. They will be back but now there are at least two teams who know they have beaten them recently. Everyone seems to forget LB Poly and coach Lara are 2 time defending CIF champions. Poly fans need to lay off the man for a while. You don't think he is upset about it? Coaches go through this all the time and it is the parents who ruin it! Parents make the worst teammates!

I am not a Poly supporter but a fan of the league.
Joe

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Judged:

The Rest of The Story wrote:
<quoted text>Let me help you understand the difference between excuses and the truth - Several of the Poly starters were sick or injured and did not play and that changes the out come of this game! If Poly plays Millikan in the playoffs Poly will win and by more than a few points if Poly played Lakewood again there is about a 90% chance that Lakewood would win. No difference in players from game 1 to game 2 for Poly/Lakewood game except Poly QB would have more than 1 game under his belt. Let me give you another example - 07-08 girl's basketball - Poly played in a bunch of tournaments out of state got back on a Sunday and went to school Monday & lost to the Millikan girl's that night... both teams had all of their players but Poly's team was tired from travel & lost by 5 points - Millikan fans called that an excuse - Poly plays Millikan again not so tired and wins by 13 & Millikan fans call it a fluke so Poly plays Millikan for the CIF Championship and beats them by 33 points - No fluke no excuse just the truth! Do you understand now?
Thanks for helping me understand........ that some people are full of excuses. Bottom line is you lost because you didnt score enough points and thats it. That is the glory of sports, the best team wins. And the best team can change from game to game. Nothing says Millikan will beat Poly next time, but on this night Millikan was the better team. Its part of sportsmanship that seems to be lost with the Poly crowd. You guys win so often that you have come to expect it, even feel entitled to it, but you arent. A true champion can take a loss without excuses and win with dignity. But thanks again for the lesson!
Passer By

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

WOW wrote:
It is what it is. Poly is down this year, no excuses. They will be back but now there are at least two teams who know they have beaten them recently. Everyone seems to forget LB Poly and coach Lara are 2 time defending CIF champions. Poly fans need to lay off the man for a while. You don't think he is upset about it? Coaches go through this all the time and it is the parents who ruin it! Parents make the worst teammates!
I am not a Poly supporter but a fan of the league.
It's frustrating to watch Poly play most of the time. I'm tired of watching our boys go down because Lara is being out-coached. For so long he has depended on the pure athleticism of the players to win games. Run left; run right; pass to the post or streak...no second level or third level reads. He is TOO SIMPLE for the type of players that come to Poly year in and year out. I agree!!! Parents do make the worst teammates!!! But not in this case. Two CIF titles...seriously!!! Poly should have at least FIVE!!!
Passer By

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

please wrote:
Despite every negative comment on here, ANY team (Save De La Salle) in the state would love to change positions with Poly and our tradition. It's not good year by Poly standards, but the talent is there. Despite their own MISTAKES in their last three losses, they have only lost by two TD's and an extra point in total. With much improved discipline, I could see them getting to the CIF Semi's. Although frustrating, we have to be patient and depend on Lara, who is the most successful coach in the CIF, by a long way.
Depend on Lara...Lara has won many games but not nearly as much as he should!!! That's the frustrating part. He doesn't suffer, the kids do! He is not good at exposing all of the talents on the squad. His style of offense reminds me of a coach from the past (Whiting). So much talent but didn't use it! When it comes down to it, it's all about these kids. Win or not, these kids have to get out to the next level. Why limit them the opportunity because you're limited in your abilities to coach to their level of athletics. Ask yourself this! If the coach from Lakewood was the coach over at Poly, would he have 2 CIF Titles? I highly doubt that. What would it look like if Jaso was still there?
Passer By

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

The beat goes on wrote:
Nearly all the Poly football coaches are unpaid volunteers. They work full-time jobs, then come to coach.
Coach Lara recieves $4,000 a year. He shares that with some of the volunteers. He works a full time job, midnight to 8am.
<quoted text>
All the more reason for him to step down and just do what he does best, DEEFFFFEEESNSE!!!
But what coach doesn't have a full time? Excuses!!!
Dwight aka Tony d

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Passer By wrote:
<quoted text>
All the more reason for him to step down and just do what he does best, DEEFFFFEEESNSE!!!
Lara's time is up. When he and his staff are playing their sons with inferior talent, and not playing the best players you can see why things have finally caught up with him. Parents don't want their sons playing for him.
He has lost so many good players to other programs. Lost 2 QB's who are doing well just this season. I here the freshman team has some outstanding players. It would be a
trasvity to lose the players to other programs with honest and compotent coaches.
He is a selfish arrogant coach who is trying to get a job coachng at the next level.
When a person is being a disservice to the players, school, and the community then it is time for them to go.
The Rest of The Story

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Joe wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks for helping me understand........ that some people are full of excuses. Bottom line is you lost because you didnt score enough points and thats it. That is the glory of sports, the best team wins. And the best team can change from game to game. Nothing says Millikan will beat Poly next time, but on this night Millikan was the better team. Its part of sportsmanship that seems to be lost with the Poly crowd. You guys win so often that you have come to expect it, even feel entitled to it, but you arent. A true champion can take a loss without excuses and win with dignity. But thanks again for the lesson!
No one said that Millikan did not win the game they did win and they played as hard as they could - I hope they have that same mind set vs. Lakewood. In the world of sports if a starter is out it is talked about on TV because in a lot of games it dose make a difference and if you are missing more starters there is no question that the games out cone would be different - with that said I still think Millikan did a great job (coaches & players) and I think Darby should be Moore League MVP - Also unlike Lakewood after Millikans big victory both teams & coaches showed some class and shook hands after the game - I also liked the ROTC kids in the stands selling food (good idea).
Andrea

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Ed Broussard-long Beach wrote:
If I didn't know any better (and I probably don't) I'd be willing to swear that some or all of these Poly haters have racist motives since Poly is a majority black high school. Millikan,Wilson and Lakewood may have a hand full of black players but deep down we know the real deal. It ain't over til it's over. We will see all of you next year my friends and my son will be a Poly Jackrabbit. Malik Broussard. Remember that name because in a couple of years he will be all in your face. When he cracks you don't say I didn't warn you my compadres.
Actually your statement is incorrect. Latino's comprise the largest racial segment. The information is a matter of public record.
Casey

Sherman, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Judged:

Great job Milikan, you've got the monkey off your back. It's time to start your own streak
The beat goes on

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2009

Whoa. Slow down. That was no excuse. I was correcting a post that said Poly had as many paid coaches as Millikan had players. The poster speculated that LBUSD diverted money to all those Poly coaches, money that would be better spent elsewhere.

I wanted the poster to understand that very little money goes to the Poly football staff. The overwhelming majority of the Poly football staff are unpaid volunteers. A handful receive small stipends.
Passer By wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of68
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent High School Football Discussions

Search the High School Football Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 6 min Buffalo Bull 923
Robby Pruitt is new head coach at Coffee High (Jan '12) 7 hr SHuman 22
Pardun eager to complete coaching transition at... Wed Phil and Joanie Pardun 1
La Habra's Griffin denied eligibility (Aug '10) Apr 18 greff jiffen 9
QB Chad Kelly dismissed from Red Lion football ... (Oct '09) Apr 14 Joe 343
Can i play tight end? Apr 10 Niko 1
Narbonne finds new gear (Nov '09) Apr 7 jesse saenz 83
•••
•••
•••