Condition worsens for Onate football ...

Condition worsens for Onate football player hospitalized after attack (12:07 p.m.)

There are 73 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Feb 22, 2011, titled Condition worsens for Onate football player hospitalized after attack (12:07 p.m.). In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

The Onate High School varsity football player who was attacked leaving a party early Sunday remains on a respirator today as doctors at University Medical Center, in El Paso, fight against continuing swelling in his brain, a family friend told the Sun-News. Jerry Zamarripa's intracranial pressure was initially 50-percent higher than it should have ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Huntsville, AL

#72 Feb 23, 2011
LC Resident wrote:
While I do sympathize with what the parents are going through, why on earth would a high school senior be out at 3:00 am on a Sunday night? That in my opinion is just plain asking for trouble. Where were the parents? These punks had absolutly no right to attack these boys but maybe if they hadn't been out so late it could have been avoided.
YOu keep asking the same question over and over!! DOES IT MATTER? WHATs IS DONE IS DONE! Jerry went out and we cant change that fact but what we can change is the stupid questions that keep getting asked on a forum that no one has an answer too!!!

Jerry could of been at a football game and still got jumped it happens all the time!!! Keep your questions for DASO and LCPD and see WHAT THEY ARE DOING ABOUT THIS...And stop asking what has already been DONE!!!

Las Cruces, NM

#73 Feb 23, 2011
What the wrote:
DBZ I'm sorry for your pain and trama you suffered. The thing that baffles me is that you said that you were at a party and that no one at the party would identify who it was that attached you. How do you expect the police to proceed if they have no leads. If the witnesses refuse to say what they saw, the police have nothing to go on. Maybe Jerry's friends and the other people at the party will come forward and identify the attackers so the police can charge them and they can be brought to justice.
Thank you for the comment...and yes there were witnesses...and one was a friend of my son's. There was extensive evidence..DNA...Blood..weapons name it the DA had is unspeakable of the evidence that the DA had to convict these people....but because of one little mess up on the detectives part...and them not doing their job right and in time....everything was dropped...and the people who did this to my sons are free...never got convicted...never did time...nothing!!!!! can you believe this....and if you notice I say "sons" both of my son's were brutally attacked at the same party. I feel for the parents because I have been in their shoes and so have my children....I just think the police, detectives and DA can do a LOT more to get convictions for stupid people that think they can go out and do these crimes....just my opinion...sorry if I offend anyone...but this is my comment

Las Cruces, NM

#74 Feb 23, 2011
And to recomment on son's were over 21...both of it just goes to show you that it can happen anywhere...anytime...any place...and any age.

Las Cruces, NM

#75 Feb 23, 2011
I hope the DA, and all involved in cathcing these guys will do their job... i Ma sorry to say that Las Cruces has a worthless system...and the Judges are about the same...they seem to always give sympathy to the accused...I am praying for Jerry and the family and I hope justice will prevail on their behalf....

Las Cruces, NM

#76 Feb 23, 2011
coorect spelling:....."catching:. ..."am"

Las Cruces, NM

#77 Feb 23, 2011
correct spelling...."correct "
rate increase

Albuquerque, NM

#78 Feb 23, 2011
LC Resident wrote:
While I do sympathize with what the parents are going through, why on earth would a high school senior be out at 3:00 am on a Sunday night? That in my opinion is just plain asking for trouble. Where were the parents?
The kid(victim sadly) is 18 or almost, he's an adult with a fully functioning brain, sort of.

As a parent, you give your 17 year old senior a curfew of midnight, he doesn't show, what are you going to do???? Maybe he's tapping a nice little piece of a$$. Maybe he's playing Frisbee in the Walmart parking lot. Maybe he's stoned off his nuts. What are you going to do? Drive around?

In 5 months he would (hopefully will be) in college, should his parents move into his dorm room with him. Change his diaper (bad choice of words). At what point does the individual have to own up to their actions?

I am in no way saying this kid deserved it, but a 17 year old is a free thinking autonomous being.

Besides they had Monday off, that's why he was out at 3am, probably just screwing around, hanging with friends, enjoying the care free times of life.

Los Alamos, NM

#79 Feb 24, 2011
buttbangers wrote:
<quoted text>
LAS CRUCES residents really need to unite and get some answers from these so called gang units and police. This keeps happening to our youth and even our adults who are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its not fair to anyones families to have to die this way.

Why don't you get off your azz and march down to the PD and see what the "so-called gang units" do? There are many arrests and many investigations that are completed without it ever making the media. Go spend a week with them and then talk shyt.

Las Cruces, NM

#80 Mar 1, 2011

Chaparral, NM

#81 Mar 1, 2011
My prayers and thoughts were sincere I really thought he was going to pull through. I am sorry all I have are my condolences to all the families, friends and community members that were affected by this tragedy. God be with you all.

United States

#82 Feb 26, 2013
I find it funny how yiu guys are so misinformed on this situation little do you know the fight was suppose to be one on one but these perfect little children you apeak of had to attack 2 people, when these highly intoxicated kids of yours decided to draw weapons first FREE ANDY self defense is the case justice will be served

United States

#83 Feb 26, 2013
The two were arrested and both have done well over 3 years one is rotting away still going to court for defendi. His self and what such good parents would LET there child throw a party like this yes LET I was at this party were jerry and his friends were serving drinks to everybody so these cocky inintoxicated football ball players attacked thw two they were beat worse than almost everybody at that party and they were sober how do I know this cuz the minor couldn't blow into the ignition interlock cuz his blood clogged it he was sober they were only defending yhemselves unfortunatly somebodys life was tooken you say so many people were hurt think about it there was only two suspects but yet ao many kids involved shouldn't and wouldn't take that many kids to put two people to a stop free andy and free angel

United States

#84 Feb 26, 2013
buttbangers wrote:
I put the blame on these welfare infested roaches who make these little punks who start shit and always have to jump people to finish it.
Blame the parents of these little roaches NOT Jerry or his family..Jerry was LEAVING THE PARTY when these uninvited std walking pedo gangbangers crashed it. They exchanged words and jumped Jerry from behind with bats and all of those low lives jumped him!!!! The stupid losers think no one else saw them jumping Jerry? When your own crew is turning thier backs on you and talking to the police so they can save themself from murder charges...Funny, they are all keeping tabs on one another so no one speaks but YOUR GANG IS ALREADY TALKING and Gloating about it!!!
I'm pretty positive they were leaving when jerry and his friends chased them into the car and continued to beat them with wepons until one of the so caled gang banging murderers got ahold of a weapon and defendes himself the parents of that house were there and the police knw that I was there and personally talked to the son when he said his parents were home jerry and his peers caused this situation to occur and the father is a well known member of barrio azteca looks like wrong people arw beung called gang members

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High School Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Littlestown: Ten best Bolts (Dec '08) Mar 5 Curious Reader 4
News Tularosa wins district title with win over Lord... (Oct '10) Feb 21 Greg Mitchell 15
News Matadors hire Troy Starr to coach football team Jan '18 killershar 2
News Oak Grove's Dalrymple resigns as football coach (Sep '12) Jan '18 rubbabandsthemone... 10
News St. Helena's 12-6 semifinal win over Ferriday t... Dec '17 FerridayTrojons2017 1
News T-Birds run past Eagles (Aug '09) Nov '17 Canutillo sucks 34
News NL drafts new football coach (Feb '10) Nov '17 3sectionchamps 26