HS Notebook: Smoky Mountain girls lea...

HS Notebook: Smoky Mountain girls leave a legacy; Enka football...

There are 59 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 5, 2009, titled HS Notebook: Smoky Mountain girls leave a legacy; Enka football.... In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

GREENSBORO Moments after the end of her high school basketball career, Smoky Mountain forward Ashley Robinson could already crack a slight smile Wednesday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

JoJo

Asheville, NC

#21 Mar 6, 2009
There is a picture of Trevor with an Asheville High Jersey on on Ncpreps. This picture was taken 3/3/09. If I'm not mistaken wasn't Trevor still enrolled at Enka at this time. "Hey Trevor come over to Asheville let us take your picture with our jersey on, and we will post it on NCpreps for you. I'll write you a note to go back to class at Enka. They should excuse it." No recruiting there!
http://ncpreps.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp... Look at photo gallery
realistic

Gulf Breeze, FL

#22 Mar 6, 2009
that figures! he's pretty much a snake. he acts like such a goody two shoes, but all he really cares about is himself. why try to rob your alma mater for another player. if he quits on his teammates at enka, with whom he has some relations, what the heck do you think he will do when the going gets tough at asheville. don't be fooled mr.sawyer- these things don't usually work out. you think those boys at asheville ary going to readily accept you!! no- you are going to have to take someone's place. better to be a big fish in a little pond. if you already had your scholarship, why not stay and help turn things around? cause you are a quitter, plain and simple. wilkins, why don't you take your son over to asheville. is he too good for the city district? you could have taken all your kids over there, no one would have cared.they are too good for that though!!!!
Steve wrote:
Danny Wilkins has lost a lot of respect around the community for this. He worked his butt off recruiting Trevor at every home enka basketball game...for hours at a time. He may deny it, but everybody saw it. Wilkins is getting to big for his pants...He knows nothing of honor or pride. I say if Trevors parents want to send there kid to such a school as Asheville High go for it. He is leaving a lifetime of friends and relationships behind for a few more wins on the football field. People need to start to live by principles. There is no difference in those boys who quit last year and Trevor.
realistic

Gulf Breeze, FL

#23 Mar 6, 2009
and what about all that religion that you are always talking about. " thou shalt not steal" unless of course it can help your football team. hipocrits go to hell too!!!!!!!!!!
Pam Garland

Travelers Rest, SC

#24 Mar 6, 2009
Its Like This wrote:
First of all, congratulations to Smoky Mountain for showing the rest of WNC you were more than just Cetera DeGraffenreid - now don't misunderstand, if "T" could have played for Smoky another four years, we would have gladly kept her and Amy too.
Ashley, and Tasha joined Cetera when they were Freshmen and "T" was a junior, both of those young ladies will tell you they learned a lot from "T" and her wonderful attitude and her ability to lead. The took those lessons and taught them the past two years.
The program only improved last season when Jordan moved up from the JV team and Flecia transferred. Jordan is deadly from three point range and "Flea" is an inside force.
These four ladies were the only four Seniors on the team and each night they stepped onto the court together, they were teaching those left to follow in their footsteps. And we feel the same about this class as we did the about the class of 2007 and 2008, if we could keep them around for another four years, they would be more then welcome!
Thank you ladies for providing us with a lot of fun Tuesday and Friday nights. You are loved and you will be missed!
As for the young man that has chosen to transfer to Asheville High ... the article states he lives in the Asheville district, shouldn't he be attending Asheville High anyway? And furthermore, the young man has gotten one college offer, but he will get a lot more looks from colleges and universities by playing on a "proven" team. Asheville High has a winning tradition in football and has graduated many top athletes that go on to play for major college programs.
If this young man has dreamed of playing college ball this may be the best decision for HIM. This isn't about bailing on his friends or quitting, this is about HIM looking out for his future. As a parent, I understand and support his decision.
I am unaware of Enka's record, but no one enjoys going to practice day after day, working hard, and not winning.
Asheville High has a good academic program as well. It seems to me the young man used his head, as he is only looking out for his future. And neither he nor his mother have anything to be ashamed of, it seems those doing the complaining are the only ones who should be ashamed. Adults have no right to bad mouth a 17 year old or his family for looking out for the future.
This is about more than football, this is about life.
Thank you so much for the intelligent, unbiased opinion..very refreshing
Pam Garland

Travelers Rest, SC

#25 Mar 6, 2009
JoJo wrote:
He'll stay hurt 90% of the time. He missed out of his last game of the season because a Chiropractor told him he wasn't healthy enough to play. He is an attention getter, he's me me me. He will not get all that attention at Asheville. He's a dime a dozen over there. Maybe he'll get thrown to a few times a game, and he might average 6-7 tackles a game. Good for Asheville but for someone like but bad for Trevor who wants to see his name in the paper all the time. I bet he called citizen times himself, so he could get his name in the paper.
GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU ACCUSE PEOPLE. THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES FOR SLANDER.
zach

Waynesville, NC

#26 Mar 6, 2009
Realistic, don't hide behind your screen name, who are you buddy? My name is Zach Wilkins, you got something to say to me give me a call sometime. Don't talk garbage behind a screen name about people. That is very weak. I went to Enka and I enjoyed my time there as did my sister and as is my brother now. You can call names and accuse all you want, but when it comes down to it, you don't have a clue as to what transpired and obviously don't have the guts to approach the parties involved. To good for the Asheville district, lol? We chose to stay at Enka, because we grew up here and all of our friends were here. So please realistic, give me an email, number, name, something. But my guess is, you lack the courage and character. So go ahead sit behind a screen name and accuse, but if you are going to make it personal, then don't hide.
Pam Garland

Travelers Rest, SC

#27 Mar 6, 2009
JoJo wrote:
There is a picture of Trevor with an Asheville High Jersey on on Ncpreps. This picture was taken 3/3/09. If I'm not mistaken wasn't Trevor still enrolled at Enka at this time. "Hey Trevor come over to Asheville let us take your picture with our jersey on, and we will post it on NCpreps for you. I'll write you a note to go back to class at Enka. They should excuse it." No recruiting there!
http://ncpreps.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp... Look at photo gallery
He was still enrolled, but had already made the decision to transfer. Coaches were already aware of his decision. Also the photo was NOT taken at Asheville High.
confused

Asheville, NC

#28 Mar 6, 2009
realistic wrote:
and what about all that religion that you are always talking about. " thou shalt not steal" unless of course it can help your football team. hipocrits go to hell too!!!!!!!!!!
What did he steal? He is just changing schools.
JoJo

Asheville, NC

#29 Mar 6, 2009
What facts are you talking about? What did I get wrong? Whether or not he was at Asheville High is irrelevant the day of the picture. He is enrolled at Enka High School, but taking picures with an Asheville High Jersey on. That doesn't look right and it is not right. What if coach Wilkens decides to coach at Reynolds next year. A week before the season is over with he takes pictures with his new Reynolds coaching shirt on, and post it up on his website. I'm sure everybody from AHS would be mad. And rightfully so! Maybe coach Wilkens didn't recruit Trevor, but it doens't look good when they sit beside each other for a full girls game, and then hands Trevor a Cougar jersey and takes pictures with him a day before he announces he's tranferring.
asheville fan

Asheville, NC

#30 Mar 6, 2009
nothing you all argue about will change the facts, he has made his decision so accept it and carry on with your lives. obviously he had no future at enka as is the sad truth for lots of athletes. who cares if he had his picture made, i think he looks pretty good in cougar colors. GO COUGARS!!
Rachel

Hickory, NC

#31 Mar 6, 2009
To all who are upset with what Trevor has decided to do, I have this question. What if it was you? What if you had the opportunity to transfer schools just so you could go to college to play football? I'm sure that if college was not involved that he would stay to support his team he has grown up with, win or loose. However, this does involve college. This is the most important part of a person's life. He really wants to go and play. This is nothing against his team at Enka. The only reason he is switching schools is so he can get a better deal at a better college. Switching schools has nothing to do with friends or parents or principals or coaches. It is about him and what he needs to do.
How rude is it that some of you talk about how selfish he is or how he is out for an injury so much or that he is an attention getter. First, I would feel bad for a player that has an injury, instead of making fun of it. He got hurt and is STILL persevering! That takes something! Secondly, in order for someone from a college to approach you and recruit you, you can't just stand there and hope they see you. You have to go above and beyond. You have to step out and maybe call some attention to yourself. He isn't as you say he is... he just wants to play ball for a great college. Is that wrong of him?
He also isn't abandoning his friends or school. He is changing to the school he is supposed to be in anyway. He stayed with Enka because he has friends there and because he has an attachment there. So, if you want to talk about someone who is egotistical or has a "me me me" problem, look elsewhere.
Wouldn't you love to be the one who has an option to simply transfer schools and possibly get many more offers on a future that you want so badly? No one can get into college by themselves anymore. Trevor is lucky to be able to do this.
It is despicable how some of you are going after his character. It appalls me. I have known him all his life. You have known him for 4 years, some of you for maybe 10 years. I have known him since he was born. His heart and character have never had to be questioned. And as for the comments about his parents... they just want what is best for him. If you don't like them then shut your mouth and let them leave. You don't have to say bad things about people. It just makes you look like a jerk.
Erwin Fan

Weaverville, NC

#32 Mar 6, 2009
Asheville High has a long history of recruiting kids away from other Buncombe County schools. Their current great distance runner was recruited away from Erwin and still lives in the Erwin district. He did not even bother to move!
The Asheville athletic director should step up, do his job and put a stop to this. Public school coaches are not supposed to recruit. It is wrong!
JoJo

Asheville, NC

#33 Mar 6, 2009
Put yourself in Trevor's shoes? Put yourself in the shoes of the kids who grew up with him and played with him their whole lifes. Now their being told by him and his family. "Listen losers I'm going to Asheville, because I'm to good to be seen with you guys. Playing with you guys doens't help my reputation as a football player." This situation could have been handled different.
No horse

Spartanburg, SC

#34 Mar 6, 2009
The Wilkins family are good people.
I have no problem with the Saywer kid.
I dont care how good he is, if that mom comes with him, there will be trouble.

Nothing worse than a 45-50 year old woman acting like she is the prom queen of Enka.
Rachel

Hickory, NC

#35 Mar 6, 2009
JoJo wrote:
Put yourself in Trevor's shoes? Put yourself in the shoes of the kids who grew up with him and played with him their whole lifes. Now their being told by him and his family. "Listen losers I'm going to Asheville, because I'm to good to be seen with you guys. Playing with you guys doens't help my reputation as a football player." This situation could have been handled different.
Are you not holding him back by laying this guilt trip on him? If moving to a different school helps him get a scholarship wouldn't that make you happy for him? He is not saying you are hurting his reputation. He is leaving so he can get a recruiter's attention, so that he can show them he can play with "the big dogs". He is only moving up in the levels to show that he can be the player that a college would want him to be. If all the other players on the team want to go with him, I'm sure he would love it! I'm sure he loves the players he is leaving and the school he is leaving. It has nothing to do with them at all. It is solely so that these college coaches can see who Trevor can be and it is selfish for you all to hold him back because you think he is "dissing" you. This move is about his college career and nothing else. Do not take it offensively.
Its Like This

Waterloo, Canada

#36 Mar 6, 2009
I don't know this Trevor, NEVER seen him, NEVER met him, don't know his family, yet I totally disagree with JoJo.

As I stated earlier, this has nothing to do with thinking his friends are losers or that he is too good to play with them; I instead think the young man is trying to look out for his future and he is totally right to look beyond high school.

The young man has one scholarship offer, but by transferring to a school that has more college scouts attending games only helps him to possibly get to attend the school of his choice.

There are GREAT athletes in many schools throughout WNC, but if you don't play for a winning school or attend a school proven to turn out great athletes or have a coach that will go above and beyond for their athletes, you often go unnoticed or have to settle. If this move is going to be beneficial for him, good for him.

As for him taking a photo the day before his announcement was formally made, big deal. Obviously if he transferred the next day, it had been approved, transcripts had been transferred, etc. The photo was taken in advance so that it could be posted with the story. How is that wrong?

Perhaps instead of speaking for this young man and telling us what he thinks about his former teammates, you leave that for him to do since he is the ONLY one who knows. Again, he is only going across town and his real friends will remain regardless.

You all are making a big deal out of this and the reality is in the end, it really isn't important.
Rachel

Hickory, NC

#37 Mar 6, 2009
No horse wrote:
The Wilkins family are good people.
I have no problem with the Saywer kid.
I dont care how good he is, if that mom comes with him, there will be trouble.
Nothing worse than a 45-50 year old woman acting like she is the prom queen of Enka.
And of course Trevor is supposed to switch schools without his parents, right??? Keep your opinions about him and his parents to yourself please. There is no reason to talk badly about people on an open forum like this. I'm pretty sure, as well, that you are blowing it out of proportion. She has always just wanted what is best for her kids.

Since: Mar 09

franklin,nc

#40 Mar 6, 2009
Sounds like asheville has had a great recruiting year.
Rachel

Hickory, NC

#41 Mar 6, 2009
Its Like This wrote:
I don't know this Trevor, NEVER seen him, NEVER met him, don't know his family, yet I totally disagree with JoJo.
As I stated earlier, this has nothing to do with thinking his friends are losers or that he is too good to play with them; I instead think the young man is trying to look out for his future and he is totally right to look beyond high school.
The young man has one scholarship offer, but by transferring to a school that has more college scouts attending games only helps him to possibly get to attend the school of his choice.
There are GREAT athletes in many schools throughout WNC, but if you don't play for a winning school or attend a school proven to turn out great athletes or have a coach that will go above and beyond for their athletes, you often go unnoticed or have to settle. If this move is going to be beneficial for him, good for him.
As for him taking a photo the day before his announcement was formally made, big deal. Obviously if he transferred the next day, it had been approved, transcripts had been transferred, etc. The photo was taken in advance so that it could be posted with the story. How is that wrong?
Perhaps instead of speaking for this young man and telling us what he thinks about his former teammates, you leave that for him to do since he is the ONLY one who knows. Again, he is only going across town and his real friends will remain regardless.
You all are making a big deal out of this and the reality is in the end, it really isn't important.
THANK YOU!! That is exactly my point!
Sharon Archer-PROUD AUNT

Asheville, NC

#42 Mar 6, 2009
I would like to address all of you who obviously think you know what your are talking about...when you don't! You do not know the same Trevor Sawyer that I know. It is obvious from your comments that you have no idea who Trevor is. I have known Trevor from birth. I have watched him grow into the huge body that God has given him. He is a loving, caring, selfless young man. His heart is as big as he is. I have watched as he played football through the termites, mites and midgets years. I have watched as he played at Enka middle school and I have watched as he has played the past 3 years at Enka high school. I have seen him playing his huge heart out for your community and his school only to end up in the loosers bracket every year! But he never gave up! He played and encouraged his teammates. Heck he even played last year when half the team walked away. Sorry,but I do not see that as being a quitter! I believe that some of you have spoken out of turn and are uneducated in matters involving college scholarships. When college coaches are looking for players, they look for players that are playing at the highest level possible. They also require that game footage be provided, playing at that level. Trevor wants to play football at the best college he can get into...What's wrong with that? Any kid wouldn't. Yes, he has had one offer. College recruiters suggest that players apply to as many colleges as possible. Well Trevor is doing just that. Trevor is level headed enough at 17 to see that he needs to make a move at this point in order to achieve his life long goal. Nothing against the Enkas coaches or Trevors fellow players but currently, they do not have a program in place that can help Trevor get to where he wants to be. Trevor has given his heart and soul for this community. He has left sweat and blood on the football field at Enka high school and this is the thanks he gets. Hurtful, scarcastic, uninformed gossip from the fans that were cheering him on when everything was going thier way! Now, when Trevor has to make the hardest decision that he has ever had to make and he does exactly what we as parents and teachers have asked him to do, which is... "do the best you can with the life God has given to you", you turn on him like a pack of wolves. If you believe that the decisiion to leave Enka in his senoir year was an easy decision to make, think again. He is not deserting anyone. He is trying to make the best desision for the rest of his life. I ask you to stop your hatered for just a moment and ask yourself," if it were my child would I want him to go to the best school possible?" What advise would I give my child, Just settle for the first offer or shoot for the moon? Well, Trevor has decided to shoot for the moon. You, as adults, should be supporting this child whom many of you have supported in the past. This is not an act of cowardness or an incident of abandoning his team mates. It is an act of courage and determination to make it. He will remain friends with many there at Enka. So,at this point, you can descide to support Trevor and make this transition pleasant or you can continue to show your jealous,spiteful side. This is not about YOU!It is about a young mans future!In this cruel world full of kids that choose drugs and alcohol and the easy way out, in some cases they choose to just give up, I find it refreshing to find a young man so full of life and determination on making it. I am proud to say that I am Trevor's Aunt and I am proud of his courage to make this life changing descision. I am extremely confused as to why people would choose to verbally attack him, and his family for simply wanting to succeed and make a positive impact on this world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High School Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hibbing Pitcher With Strong Baseball Legacy Lea... Jun 18 Christsharian Dee... 1
News Former Basketball Coach Convicted of Child Anno... (Feb '08) Jun 8 Sophia 449
News Calloway the favorite for district, region titles (Dec '14) Mar '17 Ugh 7
Bernard Toone (Mar '09) Mar '17 Adrian Lowery 46
High School basketball - Do JV points count tow... (Dec '11) Feb '17 Ron Apotherker 2
News Mother of Alleged Hazing Victim Speaks Out (Oct '07) Jan '17 Ellsinorian 72
News Richmond Senior boys, girls lose in TV debut Jan '17 MAMAS BABY NBA MAYBE 1
More from around the web