VA scandal sets Rep. Tammy Duckworth ...

VA scandal sets Rep. Tammy Duckworth apart

There are 33 comments on the The Washington Post story from May 20, 2014, titled VA scandal sets Rep. Tammy Duckworth apart. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

Tammy Duckworth gave both her legs in defense of the United States while serving as an Army helicopter pilot during the war in Iraq.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cat74

Carpentersville, IL

#1 May 20, 2014
First of all why would anyone go to a VA Hospital that delayed their necessary care? They had a right to go to any Hospital they wanted if the VA hospital was not available. People have become so used to having Government take care of them they cannot take care of themselves. We would never put up with an extreme life changing delay. We wouldn't use VA anyway.
Viet Nam Veteran

Chillicothe, OH

#2 May 20, 2014
Too many veterans still believe that they will recieve better medical care at a VA Medical Center than they will from for-profit healthcare providers. Hopefully this mess will convince many of them to stop supporting a system that is managed by people who DO NOT have the veterans best interest as their first, only and top priority. The VA's budget currently exceeds 164 BILLION dollars and it has been increased every year since 9/11. All it has acomplished is a massive build up of non-medical care employees, mostly in the management side. 489 MILLION dollars have been spent in the last 4.5 years on renovations of conference rooms, drapries and furniture. Another 200 MILLION was used to settle 1000 claims which allege wrongful deaths caused by VA employees. Now we are seeing that many may have been the direct result of veterans NOT recieving the medical care appointments they needed.

Time for a change. Support Veterans Against the Veterans Administration (VAVA) in their efforts to close down an antiquated, ineffective and CORRUPT system. Time to give our veterans a choice, something they sacrified to guarantee every citizen of this country. Something that they are NOT guaranteed. Give our veterans a health care card that they can use to seek out the care they need, whereever they CHOOSE to go.
Monty Anaconda

San Antonio, TX

#3 May 20, 2014
So losing ones legs makes one a hero? I lost my virginity to an Elmo puppet. Can I get a medal?
Monty Anaconda

San Antonio, TX

#4 May 20, 2014
The truth is Veterans are a large voting group and everyone pays them lip service. From those stupid yellow-ribbon magnets, to the entire VA system, to the Wounded Warriors charity and their ASPCA-like commercials. If you want to test whether a group really supports veterans, ask the CEO if any of his/her kids are serving in the military. The answer will be no. They expect your kids to serve, but theirs all attend Yale or Harvard. They want your votes, they want your money, they want your outrage, but they don't really care about you. But you are soldiers, so you suck it up and walk it off. Just don't be a sucker. It is all about votes, money, and power.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#5 May 21, 2014
Monty Anaconda wrote:
So losing ones legs makes one a hero? I lost my virginity to an Elmo puppet. Can I get a medal?
Sounds more like John Kerry.
conservative crapola

“Hicksville Hootenanny”

Since: Sep 13

Kornfield Kounty

#7 May 21, 2014
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
copyright infringed spam. flagged
Viet Nam Veteran

Chillicothe, OH

#8 May 21, 2014
LTC Duckworth's service to her country normally has to earn respect BUT than she is pushed out in to the public's eye to earn some sympthay for the Democratic part and those in power at the VA. All I see is someone using her disability to climb the power ladder. Enough is enough. Shut your mouth and do something, than you will have my respect. By the way, paying lip service to simple "visits" to our wounded warriors earns you nothing. I have a friend that takes his theraphy dog to the VA, does that qualify the dog for a political job. If he could be registered as a Democrat, it probably would.
egad

Albuquerque, NM

#9 May 21, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
First of all why would anyone go to a VA Hospital that delayed their necessary care? They had a right to go to any Hospital they wanted if the VA hospital was not available. People have become so used to having Government take care of them they cannot take care of themselves. We would never put up with an extreme life changing delay. We wouldn't use VA anyway.
For disabled vets the VA healthcare is usually all they have. The govt promised vets if they were hurt in the line of duty they would be cared for and you are lumping that care as if they are a wet sneaking across the border and walking into a hospital. If the means or family support for healthcare is there then going outside the VA system is a valid option. How many vets do you know have the money to purchase private insurance to cover the many cancaers from agent orange ? Self pay for one of these conditions can run into the hundred thousands.
bitsnpieces1

Gainesville, FL

#10 May 21, 2014
If you have private insurance you can go elsewhere. If you want the VA to cover the expense you have to actually get their approval every time to go elsewhere, otherwise they won't cover any part of it.
Cat74 wrote:
egad

Albuquerque, NM

#11 May 21, 2014
bitsnpieces1 wrote:
If you have private insurance you can go elsewhere. If you want the VA to cover the expense you have to actually get their approval every time to go elsewhere, otherwise they won't cover any part of it.
<quoted text>
The VA will not cover even ER visits at a non-VA ER unless the visit is for a service connected condition. So living 4 hours from a VA ER can be problematical if you are a disabled vet whose service connected injuries are bullet/schrapnel wounds, but an ambulance takes you to the ER for a heart attack. I state this from personal experience.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

#12 May 21, 2014
egad wrote:
<quoted text>
The VA will not cover even ER visits at a non-VA ER unless the visit is for a service connected condition. So living 4 hours from a VA ER can be problematical if you are a disabled vet whose service connected injuries are bullet/schrapnel wounds, but an ambulance takes you to the ER for a heart attack. I state this from personal experience.
Good example. When you don't have private insurance, what are your options? Ambulance drivers are required to take you to the closest hospital. Would you drive someone with a heart attack 4 hours? I have know people who have done this but patient was paralyzed by the time they got there. Is that real medical care when you can't afford this. I worked at a VA ER and have seen this situation more than once. Wife doesn't know what to do so she drives hubby hours for medical care at a VA hospital because that is all she knows. That patient eventually died.
El oh El

Webster, MA

#13 May 21, 2014
conservative crapola wrote:
<quoted text>
copyright infringed spam. flagged
Nothing on topic to add? Typical.
-
Rep Duckworth is a true American hero. We need more heroes in DC and less zeroes.
Monty Anaconda

San Antonio, TX

#14 May 21, 2014
El oh El wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing on topic to add? Typical.
-
Rep Duckworth is a true American hero. We need more heroes in DC and less zeroes.
Will you say she's a hero if they find the double-appointment scheme was her idea when she was VA director in IllandNoise in 2009? She is no hero. She's an opportunist and an evil Democrat.

She is sitting on the Benghazi committee to silence Republicans if they get too close to finding the truth. Mark my word, she will be baiting Republicans into a fight from day one to make it look like they are picking on the poor disabled cripple woman. She is nothing but a human shield for Hillary.

Paris

#15 May 22, 2014
Monty Anaconda wrote:
<quoted text>Will you say she's a hero if they find the double-appointment scheme was her idea when she was VA director in IllandNoise in 2009? She is no hero. She's an opportunist and an evil Democrat.

She is sitting on the Benghazi committee to silence Republicans if they get too close to finding the truth. Mark my word, she will be baiting Republicans into a fight from day one to make it look like they are picking on the poor disabled cripple woman. She is nothing but a human shield for Hillary.
Liberal can't win in the arena of ideas, only lies and spin.
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#16 May 22, 2014
Viet Nam Veteran wrote:
All I see is someone using her disability to climb the power ladder..
Did you say the same outrageous claim when Mccain was trying to claw himself into the White House?
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#17 May 22, 2014
Monty Anaconda wrote:
<quoted text>
She is sitting on the Benghazi committee to silence Republicans .
Stop whining - if the repubs want the "truth" (lol) they should be able to find it right?

Is this bashing on Ms. Duckworth a repub fundraising tool?
Cat74

Downers Grove, IL

#18 May 22, 2014
I am glad to see Ms Duckworth on the Select Committee. She lends Democrat credibility to the investigation after Pelosi bad mouthed it. Democrats constantly pretend everyone is lying except them. It is a projection thing. The truth isn't in them, if it was we would have had the truth about Benghazi a long time ago.
same here

Rio Rancho, NM

#19 May 22, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
I am glad to see Ms Duckworth on the Select Committee. She lends Democrat credibility to the investigation after Pelosi bad mouthed it. Democrats constantly pretend everyone is lying except them. It is a projection thing. The truth isn't in them, if it was we would have had the truth about Benghazi a long time ago.
Although, as you I am glad to see her on the panel which should offer some credible Dem voice with the likes of cummings on there to obstruct as is his forte. I do still believe it is going to be more of a 'protect hillary' function for the 5 instead of actually working as a committee digging and finding the truth.

Location hidden

#20 May 22, 2014
VA care or Obamacare.
It's the same story.
Go to Helen Waite.

Paris

#21 May 22, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
Time will tell. The louder libs scream, the closer to the truth we will be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Women's Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Supreme Court strikes down Texas abortion clini... 8 hr Retired SOF 38
News The Latest: Wendy Davis calls abortion ruling g... Tue WelbyMD 3
News Abortion rights advocates: Illuminate meant to ... (Aug '13) Jun 21 xoxo80 49
News Nurse practitioners provide quality health care... Jun 17 Palm lady 1
Women Only .. Sores under breasts (Jul '11) Jun 8 Funky Fungus 42
The main problems women face today Jun 8 AlyseWatson 1
Is a D&C supposed to be a permanent solution fo... (Nov '08) Jun 4 Dtaylor 39
More from around the web