Hole in gum after wisdom teeth extrac...
Nicki

United States

#189 May 6, 2010
Dude, You must use all of the medicine up or else it won't heal properly. I just had one widsom tooth removed yesterday and I don't have any swelling. But there is still a huge hole in my gum which is normal considering it's only been a day. Rinse with warm salt water 3-4 times a day like everyone's been saying. It helps ALOT! You're all a bunch of babies...I didn't take any pain medicine even though they prescribed me Vicodin. F**K that. The pain wasn't THAT bad.
Stephanie

Irving, TX

#190 May 7, 2010
I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed 7 days ago, as well. A lot of what everyone is saying is what I'm going through. That weird taste- it's like a clinical, bodily taste, right? I got that taste a lot too. Constantly worried about how my breath smelled. I would just rub toothpaste on my tongue. And by the way, I think the best way to clean out the extraction sites is to take a q-tip, and take the medicated oral rinse that you should have gotten from your dentist, soak the q-tip ends in the rinse and kind of swab the food out. It worked really well, and you know its safe and antibacterial. Now that I can plainly see the holes, I think I'm even MORE hesitant to eat solid foods, which sucks. Especially since I've cleaned them out. I just am so scared of getting food in there that I can't get out- and therefore get dry socket or an infection etc. I'll have to do the syringe with salt water though, if that speeds up healing. What a freaking hassle, though!
taboo

Madison, WI

#191 May 11, 2010
I had my both upper wisdom tooth removed almost a week now the left side is pain free but my right side is very painful, still can't open my mouth fully.
aaa

Balmain, Australia

#192 May 12, 2010
taboo wrote:
I had my both upper wisdom tooth removed almost a week now the left side is pain free but my right side is very painful, still can't open my mouth fully.
If you have stitches that is probably why you cannot open your mouth all of the way. I had stitches and I was restricted for almost 2 wks and it hurt to laugh. Once they dissolve it will be normal/
KTF

Shreveport, LA

#193 May 12, 2010
For one, NEVER EVER EVER stop taking antibiotics!!!!! Take every single last one of those darn pills! By quitting in the middle of an antibiotic course you're putting pressure on the bacteria to develop drug resistant characteristics and you'll only end up wasting money and time because an infection will develop or come back. You already paid for them - take every one of the darn things!!!! FINISH THEM!
Now that I'm off my soap box, I had all four of my teeth removed 5 days ago. None were impacted and they were all extracted whole. I haven't needed pain medication and feel great. I had my check up yesterday and the surgeon said everything was fine, to keep doing what I was doing. Today one of the stitches broke/dissolved and a hole opened. I got paranoid because I could see some white stuff down inside. After some reading I've come to believe that the white stuff in the bottom of the hole is actually the blood clot. Apparently it loses it's red color after exposure to saliva.
Smells, bad tastes and oozing of liquid are all bad signs. In that case, it's probably an infection and should be checked on. If you're fine and it starts hurting that's probably a good sign something is wrong too.
Nick

Valencia, CA

#194 May 17, 2010
I just wanted to add;

Rinse with warm salt water. At first I was just rinsing with warm water. But as soon as I added salt...oh boy...out comes the gunk! Big difference.
Jacki

San Francisco, CA

#195 Jun 4, 2010
I wouldn't be too alarmed. I got mine out a week ago this day and I have been told by my parents and the nurse at my appointment today that I've had a great recovery, and am doing everything right, etc. but i have this HORRIBLE taste in my mouth; and not just when i lick it. I have for a few days now and its been driving me crazy. It's probably just the food (in both out cases) stuck in the holes. I've been using the syringe they gave me with a 50% room temp water and 50% mouth wash to clean it out. Otherwise don't worry about it. It SUCKS but so does getting your wisdom teeth out. Hope that helps.
CSM

Laredo, TX

#196 Jun 7, 2010
I think it is just different for everyone. I had one molar removed a week ago and the hole is covered up. Now....i had another one removed a couple of days ago and it pretty much is going the way it did with the other one. I saw the white-ish stuff, some of it came off my gum, and I'm pretty sure it is just tissue. Have you guys ever bitten your lip? If you had you probably have seen white-ish stuff forming on the site when it is healing.
gen

Phelan, CA

#197 Jun 13, 2010
I had my wisdom tooth pulled wensday it's sunday still hurts smells and tasted gross getting scared it might be infected and I clean and mouthwash all the time what should I do?
Amo

Cupertino, CA

#198 Jun 14, 2010
I think that the bad smell and taste are a normal part of the healing process. It's kinda just puss coming out. If it persists for more than two weeks after the surgery or come with more swelling, then I would ask my dentist to check it out.
Mine stopped smelling after a week and a half, but i am still waiting for the taste to stop.
leonel

Irving, TX

#199 Jun 15, 2010
i'm pretty much having the same thing as most of yall. i had them remove 8 days ago. i have those holes, taste, and looks. other than the syringe to clean the holes i use a product call "interplak oral care by Conair". i highly recommend it.
Leonel

Arlington, TX

#200 Jun 16, 2010
EVERYONE READ THIS. TO THE ONES WHO IS HAVING DISCHARGE FROM ONE OF THE TOP HOLES. I FIND OUT WHAT IT IS. THE HOLE YOU HAVE BROKE THROUGH YOUR SINUS PASSAGE WAY. YOU NEED TO CALL YOUR ORAL SURGEON OR DENTIST. YOUR HOLE WILL NOT HEAL UNLESS YOU TAKE OF THAT PROBLEM. I CAME ACROSS THIS CONCLUSION BY WASHING ONE OF THE UPPER HOLES. AS I WAS DOING IT. WATER WAS COMING OUT MY NOSE. THAT ONLY MEANS ITS GOING THROUGH AWAY IT SHOULDN'T. I HOPE THIS WILL HELP YALL OUT.
gutz

Central District, Hong Kong

#201 Jun 17, 2010
my wisdom tooth remove three months ago.i donth know if it is normal to happen still have little bit hole,and the side is so big and hard,when im using for bite the food have little bit pain,is natural only or no problem?
momo

Torrance, CA

#202 Jun 18, 2010
Margret wrote:
just use a bobbypin to get the food out.
That is an extremely bad suggestion! Do NOT do that anyone!!!
momo

Torrance, CA

#203 Jun 18, 2010
Yuliisa wrote:
<quoted text>
Woow are you for real
NOONE TAKE THIS RIDICULOUS ADVICE!!!
Tiana

United States

#204 Jun 20, 2010
STOP MESSING WITH THE "WHITE STUFF" YOU ALL ARE TALKING ABOUT!!That is the blood clots that turn white and it means that it is healing! it is a good sign!
Skye

United States

#205 Jun 23, 2010
Is it possible that a dentist will remove only partial or half of the wisdom tooth instead if the full tooth, If it's impacted? Just wondering, I looks like half a tooth is remaining in both of my bottom sockets. I know some have stated that the white stuff is the blood clot or tissue but this seriously looks like partial tooth remaining.
Skye

United States

#206 Jun 23, 2010
For Those who have had dry socket and have been to the dentist to have it packed with medication(clove oil), how long did it take for the dry socket to heal? Was your pain completely relieved after they removed the packing?
souha

Beirut, Lebanon

#207 Jun 25, 2010
im planning to go to the beach tomorrow and i just had one wisdom teeth extracted today with no complications, would it be ok if i was exposed to sun?
Chase

South Africa

#208 Jun 26, 2010
Hi Everyone.

The entire process is a pain in the ass. or in the mouth. To be honest. the doctor that did mine was really good, but didn't give me any info~ So like everyone else i've been on here checking out side effects, etc. it's been 12 days. and i have hole on my lower bottom wisdom teeth areas. but don't think it's a big deal.

For everyone who's experiencing blood clots! i had them also on the top wisdom teeth. And, it's NORMAL! let them fall off when they are ready. after five days if they're still there, brush them off. that's what i did.

Also, If it looks like you see bone! it's NORMAL too. Just continue with the salt water rinsing thing.

I'm sure the HOLE is part of the healing process, although i'm pissed that no one tells us these things! we pay them to inform us, as well as do the procedure. However, i'm in South Africa at the moment where i got mine pulled, so i have to do the healing thing simply. Anyway, hang in there. if you have dry socket~!!!!! shame. i never had that one but heard it sucks.

God Bless

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisdom Teeth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hole left in gums? Nov 3 Emb 1
My Wisdom Teeth are coming out and I'm 12!!! (Nov '09) Oct 24 Simone 192
Are my Wisdom Teeth coming in too early...? Oct '17 Gina 2
News Republican Sossa-Paquette to challenge McGovern... Sep '17 family guy reference 2
News West Kelowna water advisory in Lakeview system Sep '17 Joe 1
News Republican agenda threatened by Trump-McConnell... Aug '17 WasteWater 1
Wisdom Teeth Record (Jul '06) Jul '17 Mr Hucer 63
More from around the web