Hole in gum after wisdom teeth extrac...

Hole in gum after wisdom teeth extraction

Posted in the Wisdom Teeth Forum

First Prev
of 46
Next Last
Nikki

Kahoka, MO

#1 Jul 7, 2008
Hello. I had four wisdom teeth removed seven days ago and still have holes on the bottom where two were removed. I was wondering how long it takes for these holes to completely heal over, and if there's anything I can do to speed up the process? Thanks for you help!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Justin

Granite City, IL

#2 Jul 23, 2008
I just had all four of my widoms extracted on the 15th and I am extremely paranoid about things in my mouth. But after much reassuring that the huge hole in the back of my mouth is normal I did some research and it is normal. Those holes have to heal from the bottom up so it will take a while(2-3 weeks) for these to heal. You also need to make sure to keep it clean with medicated mouth wash or warm salt water after every meal so no food becomes lodged in there. If that happens infection is soon to follow which can be a BIG problem. Hope that helps you.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Katherine

Perry, GA

#3 Jul 27, 2008
I had all 4 of mine out 5 weeks ago and thought I was out of the woods. But I developed an infection on one of my lower gums which had a white liquid coming from the site. My cheek was also obviously swollen. I went back to my surgeon and he attempted to drain it, which was so painful. But he put me on the anti-biotic clyndimycen. I also was able to drain it myself by dabbing the site with a q-tip.
The hole is still there and I continue to rinse with salty water. I have heard this healing process could take months to get back to normal. I don't understand how some people can be "back to normal" in a week or two.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
smc

Hagerstown, MD

#4 Aug 16, 2008
Wow- from the reading I am doing I see that this really is different for everyone! I want to speed this up too! I had all 4 of mine removed last Friday (8 days now) and my mouth is so sore it is not even funny. One thing I noticed though is that hydrogen peroxide really helps clean the food out of the holes in the back, but now that I know what dry socket is- I won't be using it anymore!! For pain, taking 2 ibuprofen and 2 tylenol works (all regular strength); the dentist told me to do it and I am suprised by its effectiveness. The problem is that I have to do it like clockwork every 2 hours.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
irene

Norfolk, VA

#5 Nov 8, 2008
I had mine pulled 8 days ago, and just got my stitches out yesterday----they said I really needed to be rinsing a lot more and so they gave me this syringe to use to rinse out the hole in my gums---worked really well because I got rinsed out a lot of food particles that got stuck in there...But there is still some "white" residue in there---it almost looks like fat deposits or maybe gum tissue?? i have no idea..I am going to go to the dentist--but has anyone experienced this?? What is it? My mouth doesn't hurt...I tried using the syringe but it won't come out..and is the hole supposed to be just flesh or is this white residue something I am should be worried about?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Margret

United States

#6 Nov 16, 2008
just use a bobbypin to get the food out.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Margret

United States

#7 Nov 16, 2008
And a mirror.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
wisdom tooth widow

Beltsville, MD

#8 Dec 17, 2008
Margret wrote:
just use a bobbypin to get the food out.
WHAT

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sarah

Mount Airy, MD

#9 Jan 14, 2009
I have that weird gunk in my holes too! I had my wisdom teeth pulled a week ago and I go in tomorrow for my stitches to get taken out. Gahhh.. it's so gross. I just keep flushing my mouth with salt water anytime it feels weird.
BUT SERIOUSLY, A BOBBYPIN?!? NOT a good idea.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Ric

London, UK

#10 Feb 12, 2009
That white stuff that wont shift I believe is the clotting process and the most important part. Looks like white bone I think.... Maybe wrong but was there when I left the dentist after stitches removed and he did clean me up so assume thats how it should be.
Move that stuff and your asking for big trouble and more pain for longer

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
adrian

Kingston, Jamaica

#11 Feb 17, 2009
i got a hole in my wisdom teeth, can u help to tell me what is it?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Joann

Ocala, FL

#13 Feb 26, 2009
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth surgically removed a week ago. The doctor gave me 5 perscriptions, 2 of which were painkillers. I went yesterday for my check up and all he did was poke around and he gave me a syringe. He told me I'll probably have little holes open up so I'll have to rinse them out with the syringe. Later that night my right side was burning so I looked in the mirror and there was a little hole.:] The guy jynxed me, lol. Now tonight there's quite a few. They burn when I rinse, but I brush my teeth twice a day and use warm salt water right after. Then I rinse the holes with the syringe. I was just curious about them, I wanted to make sure everything was normal. I didn't know it would take weeks for them to heal up though!
Melanie

Detroit, MI

#14 Mar 1, 2009
I had my #18 and #19 teeth removed surgically one
month ago. I am now experiencing that white stuff.
I don't know if it is healing or if I should be alarmed. Why are we not told about the healing process when we have out teeth removed? I am looking for advise on the next step to take if any?
Thank You
michelle

United States

#15 Mar 12, 2009
I had 2 wisdom teeth removed 1 week ago and the upper healed up in 3 days the lower one left a huge hole and the most disgusting odor and taste.I brush,floss,rinse with salt water after eating.I told the oral surgeon and he said it must be food in it.I only eat soft food-mostly liquid I told him,he advised me to use listerine-I have and within 5to 10 minutes the smell and taste are back,I also have the white stuff at the bottom of the hole which I thought was causing the odor and taste?Any suggestions?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Dawn

Buffalo, NY

#16 Mar 17, 2009
I had my molar pulled last friday. My socket is filled with this white gook I have no idea what is is. I have a very foul odor coming form my mouth and if i touch the site with my tounue it tastes bad. My dentist only told me to rinse with water after I brush my teeth. The piece breaks off little by little, it is completly disgusting!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Gerg

Brampton, Canada

#17 Mar 19, 2009
some of these sound like "dry socket" but apparently dry socket also causes a lot of pain. I just had mine taken out about 9 days ago and one of my extraction sites is basically all healed up, just slightly tender. While the other extraction site has a hole. Today I started getting a weird taste coming from the hole. Its not really a bad taste, just weird. Anyone have a similar feeling?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jen

Mississauga, Canada

#18 Mar 20, 2009
I had all four wisdom teeth removed on the 12th. In the past two or three days I have also noticed an unpleasant odor and taste coming from the healing site. I have tried rinsing with salt water, brushing my teeth, eating different foods and even the listering pocket packs but nothing seems to work. I would love to know what's going on. I have been brushing my teeth twice a day, cleaning the holes with the syringe and rinsing with salt water...I just don't know what else to do.
David

United States

#19 Mar 22, 2009
in my case, using the syringe and swishing with water alone was not enough to dislodge the food particles out of the holes. But what I am doing now is using the disposable dental floss/pick combo tools to rake out the food that cover up the hole or are slightly inside the hole before using the syringe. Had to do that as the food was big enough to cover up the holes and stuck enough such that the syringe didn't blast it out. Couldn't swish it out with water nor "tongue" it out either. The holes are a bit deep so I can't tell if there smaller food particles stuck in there, can only hope that all is ok.
Dave

Kew, Australia

#20 Mar 22, 2009
Its been 2 weeks since i had my two wisdom teeth (lower jaw) removed. In the two weeks i have since been able to see the bottoms of the holes, but not before the two weeks.
The holes are sill quite large and it's annoying always having to rinse. I thought the white stuff was food, so i gently scraped some of it out. It looked like a blob of fat on closer inspection, but it seems common amongst the discussions here, so maybe it's tissue (regenerated/dead/otherwise).
I'm told it will take up to 6 months for the holes to completely heal and for your mouth to resume "business as usual". Can you imagine...6 months of syringe-ing and salt water washes...sigh.
Also, don't use listerine, as the chemicals will slow down the healing. Salt is best, in high concentrations it is antiseptic and it promotes blood circulation for faster healing. If you are worried about infection, a medicated mouth wash can help, but avoid chewing too much near the holes (easier said than done!).

Good luck fellow extractees!:)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sue

Alpine, CA

#21 Mar 23, 2009
I had two of my right side wisdom tooth removed 6 days ago and for some reason, I stopped taking the antibiotic which now I think that I have an infection. It is starting to hurt and I see something nasty forming where the tooth once was. If I continuing to take the antibiotic, would it help removes that thing? I'm hoping that it's not a dry socket and since I don't smoke, drink from a straw, I am hoping that it's no.
I'm seeing my surgeon in two days, so hopefully he can do something it about it. It seems as if the pain is getting worst. Also, do we get the syringe thing after we get our stitches removed because I didn't get one.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 46
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisdom Teeth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
My Wisdom Teeth are coming out and I'm 12!!! (Nov '09) May 19 Karissao 200
News SEE: Fish with weird, human-like teeth reeled i... May 13 Lawrence Wolf 4
News 'I pulled out all of your teeth': Lawsuit claim... Apr '18 NISH FM 1
News Top 4 Reasons to Have That ... Apr '18 Krazy days 1
News Man suing hospital and surgeon for removing tee... Apr '18 Krazy days 1
News 'I pulled out all your teeth' in error, Keswick... Apr '18 Krazy day Fri 13th 1
News Taking African American voters for granted (Sep '15) Mar '18 Who cares 10