Jawbone Exposed Weeks After Extraction

Posted in the Wisdom Teeth Forum

Michael Tonan

San Diego, CA

#1 Jan 24, 2011
I had a lower impacted wisdom tooth extracted and it is healing fine; however, the area where the tooth and gumline met has a sharp corner of jawbone is sticking out a little bit. The jawbone is on the inside part of my mouth and a little tender at the moment.

Will the healing tissue eventually extend to cover the area or should I consult a dentist? The area is not a huge worry for me as it does not hurt, but I am concerned that the exposed area will eventually become infected.

What should I do?
jennyct

Ellington, CT

#2 Sep 3, 2012
How long did it take to heal... this is my issue as well and it's been about 3 weeks. I was told it would heal on its own, but I am so tired of it.
Jerry J

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Dec 27, 2012
Jaw death from osteonecrosis is a very rare but very serious complication of dental surgery. It is poorly understood due to the fact that no one is certain how exactly it occurs. One advice for avoiding this condition is to seek medical advice for how to stop taking bisphosphonates prior to having any dental work done. Bisphosphonates and poor hygiene have been linked with increased risk of dead jaw syndome. To know more about jaw problems go to this site. http://www.fosamaxclassaction.us/onj/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisdom Teeth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hole in gum after wisdom teeth extraction (Jul '08) Feb 22 tatyspeady__204 787
The process of getting dentures Feb 21 kody 4
Impacted Wisdom Teeth: Oral Surgery and Extraction Feb 20 MillionDollarSmile81 3
My Wisdom Teeth are coming out and I'm 12!!! (Nov '09) Feb 20 Vanessa 53
wlsbom Feb 14 Kimberley 1
Dental Crowns and Bridges Market in the EMEA Re... Feb 10 mathewsteven10 2
Israeli wall in 'World War Z' sparks questions (Jun '13) Dec '14 spaaqua19 9
More from around the web