Tests show no rabies danger to people...

Tests show no rabies danger to people from dog in Seymour that was euthanized

There are 44 comments on the KYTV Springfield story from May 2, 2012, titled Tests show no rabies danger to people from dog in Seymour that was euthanized. In it, KYTV Springfield reports that:

Macy was exposed to a rabid skunk, and rabies can take as long as six months to show up in an animal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KYTV Springfield.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
sarah

Burlington, IA

#1 May 3, 2012
i feel so sorry for that family. i know how i would feel if my dog was put down. i hope this family hires an attorney.
Duh

Highlandville, MO

#2 May 3, 2012
If they were responsible pet owners they would have made sure the dog had its rabies vaccination. Then the dog would not have been put down.
curious

Branson, MO

#3 May 3, 2012
Duh wrote:
If they were responsible pet owners they would have made sure the dog had its rabies vaccination. Then the dog would not have been put down.
Another case of an alderman feeling he was above the law, and it cost his family a pet. Makes you wonder what other laws are being ignored that are costing the rest of us something.
hahaha

Ozark, MO

#4 May 3, 2012
Um I don't think its a law to get your dog a rabies shot. But it is a good idea.
looks like a law to me

Branson, MO

#5 May 3, 2012
hahaha wrote:
Um I don't think its a law to get your dog a rabies shot. But it is a good idea.
SECTION 205.020: VACCINATION

The owner or keeper of any dog or cat in the City of Seymour, is here¬by required to have such animals vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian and to procure a certificate of such vaccin¬ation from the veterinarian and to present such certificate to the City Clerk on or before May first (1st) of each year; and the City Clerk shall regis¬ter such certificate, which registration shall remain in force until the April thirtieth (30th) next following said regis¬tration. It shall be unlawful for the owner or keeper of any dog or cat to permit such animal to remain in the City of Seymour unless such certificate has been procured.
JMO

United States

#7 May 4, 2012
hahaha wrote:
Actually, it IS a law. Not only is it a law, it's common, responsible pet ownership to do so. Sad that a beloved pet died because of this. Rabies is far more wide spread among animals of ANY kind than most people know... WE as pet owners have to protect them. I feel horrible for this family that lost their pet because of this...
dog lover

Ozark, MO

#8 May 4, 2012
Well the vet should have been able to tell if the dog had been bit or had bite marks before jumping to that conclusion,plus what would of it hurt to wait and see the out come first so now there is a dead beloved family pet for nothing.
Just Saying

United States

#9 May 4, 2012
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Another case of an alderman feeling he was above the law, and it cost his family a pet. Makes you wonder what other laws are being ignored that are costing the rest of us something.
I am glad that so many people are quick to judge. Why does it have to be "a case of an alderman feeling he is above the law?" Why can't it be a case of a regular family, in a poor economy, cutting corners where they can? Or, an extremely educated person who has done their research and found that over vaccinating pets can cause immunity issues and be potentially fatal in animals over the age of 6? Where has everyone's compassion gone? A very nice family lost a beloved member, and all you can talk about is how it was because they thought they were above the law!! Shame on you, whoever you are.
Anonymous

AOL

#10 May 6, 2012
I'm ashamed to know that the city of Seymour killed this dog, causing grief to this family. A vet would have found a bite if the dog had been bit. The poor dogs owner wasnt too brilliant either. He should have took it to a vet and had them examine it for a bite mark before telling the city that his dog was sprayed by a rabid skunk. This is a poor example of city government at work.
Well

United States

#12 May 6, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
I'm ashamed to know that the city of Seymour killed this dog, causing grief to this family. A vet would have found a bite if the dog had been bit. The poor dogs owner wasnt too brilliant either. He should have took it to a vet and had them examine it for a bite mark before telling the city that his dog was sprayed by a rabid skunk. This is a poor example of city government at work.
This had nothing to do with the city government, luke is part of the city government, the decision was the health department, your comment is an example of idiot talking out of their rear, you obviously dont know what your talking about
aur56

Monett, MO

#13 May 6, 2012
This family knew this dog had to have a rabies vaccine, they chose not to get it. These are free every year if money is the problem. Law states that if any animal comes into contact with a rabid animal it has to be put down. get the shots people, this whole thing could have been avoided.
Anonymous

AOL

#14 May 6, 2012
I know that he was a alderman in the city government. Thats one of the reasons I used the word "poor", which included him since he wasnt too smart. I understand that the health department gives the word, but the city, including the dogs owner, allowed it all to come into the scheme of things. I consider the city as the instigator of this dogs execution due to poor judgement knowing that the state is going to want it dead. Morons like you need to remain silent due to their inability to understanding the whole picture.
Anonymous

AOL

#15 May 6, 2012
The dog would have needed to have been bitten by the rabid skunk. As I stated before, the dogs owner should have had it checked for a bite mark and kept his mouth shut about the dog being involved. I agree that he should have his animals vacinated for rabies yearly. His buddies in the city government should have told him to get the dog checked for a bite wound, knowing what the outcome would be after the state was notified.
Anonymous

AOL

#16 May 6, 2012
When I said that I was ashamed of the city government, he was included.
Funny

United States

#17 May 6, 2012
so all of the city government is at fault? whos to say they even knew about it, my understanding is he took the skunk to the vet I m no rocket scientist but my guess is the vet contacted the health department, not the city. But you know reguardless who notified who, had he gotten the vaccination for his dog prior to(as required of pet owners) he could have avoided the execution of the dog
I have a pet too

United States

#18 May 6, 2012
looks like a law to me wrote:
<quoted text>
SECTION 205.020: VACCINATION
The owner or keeper of any dog or cat in the City of Seymour, is here¬by required to have such animals vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian and to procure a certificate of such vaccin¬ation from the veterinarian and to present such certificate to the City Clerk on or before May first (1st) of each year; and the City Clerk shall regis¬ter such certificate, which registration shall remain in force until the April thirtieth (30th) next following said regis¬tration. It shall be unlawful for the owner or keeper of any dog or cat to permit such animal to remain in the City of Seymour unless such certificate has been procured.
it looks like the mayor or his family are on here quoting city rules. Most people don't have rules memorized word for word. I wonder how many certificates are on file in clerks office. Although not getting the family pet vaccinated was not the brightest thing i'm sure there are other citizens held to a higher standard in the same category. There are bigger problems on the horizon.
Around Town

Vanzant, MO

#20 May 8, 2012
Basically People, this was a dog that was not properly vacinated by it's owners. Sounds to me like some of you are putting a animal above the saftey of the children that were around the dog. The test generally come back negative, but would you want to risk the saftey of children over an animal. I thinkl not.
For everyone to know

Branson, MO

#21 May 9, 2012
I am the sister to Luke and it is disgusting that people in Seymour do not have the compassion for what has happen. To all the people that think they know what really happen, I think until you have a walk a mile in my brother shoes you have nothing important to say. This just shows me that people are not godly people anymore and I will pray for them. That if you are an animal lover that this never happens to you. Whatever happen to people just have compassion for their neighbors. I am thinking to some people it is just an animal but to them (the family of Macy) it was part of their family. To all the people that have nothing better than to gossip, I hope that you will get a life, and uses it to better use.
Really

Vanzant, MO

#23 May 9, 2012
For everyone to know wrote:
I am the sister to Luke and it is disgusting that people in Seymour do not have the compassion for what has happen. To all the people that think they know what really happen, I think until you have a walk a mile in my brother shoes you have nothing important to say. This just shows me that people are not godly people anymore and I will pray for them. That if you are an animal lover that this never happens to you. Whatever happen to people just have compassion for their neighbors. I am thinking to some people it is just an animal but to them (the family of Macy) it was part of their family. To all the people that have nothing better than to gossip, I hope that you will get a life, and uses it to better use.
So, you must be Amy or Christy? Next time, just get your animal vacinated. I believe that's what I heard Luke say on ky3, I guess I should have gotten her vacinated. Yeah, I think that would have solved the problem.
PoGo

Willow Springs, MO

#24 May 10, 2012
For everyone to know wrote:
I think you should learn to spell then teach your brother who is not smart enough to fight this fight.By the way, What happened to his christianity?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vaccinations Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News All gay and bisexual men should get meningitis ... 14 hr Mark Mark 8
News Martin Budge alleges his health has been ruined... Jul 18 anothervoice 1
News Toddler injected with 37 vaccines before the ag... Jul 16 friend 4
News Largest US measles outbreak in Arizona Jul 10 Loops 2
News Gay men in LA County urged to get meningococcal... Jul 8 Thats Right 6
News Trump's Turning GOP Into Anti-Vaxxers Jul 5 TRASH SCIENCE 1
News WHO weighs emergency measures for yellow fever ... Jun '16 Shevon Drake 1
More from around the web