John Hopkins NEW testing of Second Ha...
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Steve Hartwell

Toronto, Canada

#69 Dec 4, 2007
I have a deficiency of the enzyme Aldehyde Dehydrogenase (ALDH) in my stomach that is needed to metabolise Alcohol into acetic acid (vinegar). Alcohol, unless broken down by that enzyme, is toxic to our bodies. In fact, if anyone were to 'ingest' just one beer through their anal cavity, that person could die. For me to conventionally drink a beer, I would gravely risk the same fate. An immediate immune response is triggered and symptoms typical to an allergy occur trying to get rid of the toxins. Even being in the same room with several alcoholic drinkers makes me very sick. Alcohol evapourates from alcoholic beverages and saturates the surrounding air. In places where alcohol is served, like licenced restaurants, I get very very sick when too many alcoholic addicts are sloshing down their alcoholic drinks. Why should I have to get sick at my favourite restaurant and even risk death from an alcoholic attack there because alcoholic addicted anti-smokers cannot wait till they get home to glug down their alcoholic addictions ?! I want alcoholic beverages banned from restaurants. Not just for myself either. It is well documented scientifically that Alcohol has been strongly linked to numerous ailments, such as heart disease and cancer and diabetes, as well as
other maladies. Indeed, even though most non-drinkers do not immediately get sick as I do, there is evidence to indicate that exposure to evapourated alcohol over time could cause the same maladies in most people. Especially children have a much higher risk from evapourated alcoholic drinks. Evapourated Alcohol is a deadly invisible killer ! Ban Alcohol, if not for me and all non-drinkers, at least do it for the sake of the children !
Anonymouse

Kitchener, Canada

#70 Dec 4, 2007
Steve Hartwell wrote:
I have a deficiency of the enzyme Aldehyde Dehydrogenase (ALDH) in my stomach that is needed to metabolise Alcohol into acetic acid (vinegar). Alcohol, unless broken down by that enzyme, is toxic to our bodies. In fact, if anyone were to 'ingest' just one beer through their anal cavity, that person could die. For me to conventionally drink a beer, I would gravely risk the same fate. An immediate immune response is triggered and symptoms typical to an allergy occur trying to get rid of the toxins. Even being in the same room with several alcoholic drinkers makes me very sick. Alcohol evapourates from alcoholic beverages and saturates the surrounding air. In places where alcohol is served, like licenced restaurants, I get very very sick when too many alcoholic addicts are sloshing down their alcoholic drinks. Why should I have to get sick at my favourite restaurant and even risk death from an alcoholic attack there because alcoholic addicted anti-smokers cannot wait till they get home to glug down their alcoholic addictions ?! I want alcoholic beverages banned from restaurants. Not just for myself either. It is well documented scientifically that Alcohol has been strongly linked to numerous ailments, such as heart disease and cancer and diabetes, as well as
other maladies. Indeed, even though most non-drinkers do not immediately get sick as I do, there is evidence to indicate that exposure to evapourated alcohol over time could cause the same maladies in most people. Especially children have a much higher risk from evapourated alcoholic drinks. Evapourated Alcohol is a deadly invisible killer ! Ban Alcohol, if not for me and all non-drinkers, at least do it for the sake of the children !
Any links to this evaporated alcohol killer story of yours. I've seen a few smokers on here post this kind of stuff before. Seems this well documented problem is not well documented at all.
Socrates

AOL

#71 Dec 4, 2007
Anonymouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Any links to this evaporated alcohol killer story of yours. I've seen a few smokers on here post this kind of stuff before. Seems this well documented problem is not well documented at all.
I googled evaporated alcohol:

in case you want to know about planets
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html...

how alcohol evaporates:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem99/...

how to make vodka
http://www.thinkingbartender.com/vodka.htm

How evaporated alcohol made London firefighters tipsy:
http://www.thinkingbartender.com/vodka.htm

How breathalizers work
http://www.messengernews.net/page/category.de...
Socrates

AOL

#72 Dec 4, 2007
Steve Hartwell wrote:
I have no problem with banning alcohol. I would vote to ban it if it were up for a vote. My guess, from the responses from the smokers here is that they would not ban alcohol since they are the ones who are singlehandedly keeping the bars open. There are a lot more people to convince besides myself that alcohol needs to be banned.

By the way, there are a lot of dry counties in the South that either do not allow liquor to be sold by the drink or do not alow booze to be sold at all.
Socrates

AOL

#73 Dec 4, 2007
Steve Hartwell wrote:
I did look it up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldehyde_dehydro...
http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/127/5/...
http://www.aldh.org/

I was not really able to find anywhere that this caused an increased intolerance for airborne or second hand alcohol. I would have to assume that this would also be a problem for you in a public restroom after a person who has had a great deal of alcohol urinates all over the floor leaving the alcohol present in the urine to evaporate in the air.

Anyways, I would appreciate the information source for evaporated alcohol and your illness. This really needs to be widespread information if you expect the support of the general population in banning alcohol.

OH, by he way, most people do not pour beer down (or up) their anal cavity.
Kent

Flintstone, MD

#74 Dec 5, 2007
Socrates wrote:
<quoted text>
I did look it up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldehyde_dehydro...
http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/127/5/...
http://www.aldh.org/
I was not really able to find anywhere that this caused an increased intolerance for airborne or second hand alcohol. I would have to assume that this would also be a problem for you in a public restroom after a person who has had a great deal of alcohol urinates all over the floor leaving the alcohol present in the urine to evaporate in the air.
Anyways, I would appreciate the information source for evaporated alcohol and your illness. This really needs to be widespread information if you expect the support of the general population in banning alcohol.
OH, by he way, most people do not pour beer down (or up) their anal cavity.
Yes, this is true, almost no one pours beer down (or up) their anal cavity. This is only done by anti-smokers.
its about time

Nicholasville, KY

#75 Dec 5, 2007
Kent wrote:
<quoted text>
Hhhhmmmmm I hadn't seen any evidence on this forum that anti-smokers had brains. Perhaps some autopsies are in order... HAHAHAHAHA!
Ascendo tuum
Kent

Flintstone, MD

#76 Dec 5, 2007
its about time wrote:
<quoted text>
Ascendo tuum
Vescere bracis meis
its about time

Nicholasville, KY

#77 Dec 5, 2007
Kent wrote:
<quoted text>
Vescere bracis meis
Wouldn't do it......I'm sure they smell of crap and smoke
Steve

Monroe, LA

#78 Dec 6, 2007
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you could name just one person who's died from exposure to secondhand smoke. With thousands and thousands victims whose deaths were caused by exposure to secondhand smoke, finding one name shouldn't take long.
My father, who never smoked a day in his life, owned a tavern. He was diagnosed with and died from lung cancer. Before his death, he committed his organs to be donated for medical research. The condition of his lungs and the presence of the cancer, researchers suggested, was from the second hand smoke that he ingested for so many years.

I have severe asthma, and, because of it, can't go to bars. I have to be careful, so as not to wind up in the hospital with an attack. So when you people sit here and claim that smoking bans are a governmental ploy, you need to understand that it IS a health risk.
History Buff

United States

#79 Dec 26, 2007
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
My father, who never smoked a day in his life, owned a tavern. He was diagnosed with and died from lung cancer. Before his death, he committed his organs to be donated for medical research. The condition of his lungs and the presence of the cancer, researchers suggested, was from the second hand smoke that he ingested for so many years.
I have severe asthma, and, because of it, can't go to bars. I have to be careful, so as not to wind up in the hospital with an attack. So when you people sit here and claim that smoking bans are a governmental ploy, you need to understand that it IS a health risk.
Why don't you get to the root of your medical problems (the CAUSE, not one aggravate) or keep yourself at home?
History Buff

United States

#80 Dec 26, 2007
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
... researchers suggested,....
Suggested. Oh the big word to fit the big agenda!
Did you know suggested means maybe and they really do NOT know.
Al Smokehommond Jazzeri

Columbus, OH

#81 Dec 26, 2007
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Did they check both places for Radon Gas ???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smoking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Federal tax hike on cigarettes is criticized by... (Mar '09) 4 hr Not impressed 9
News Smoking may increase kidney disease risk in Afr... 10 hr Drilling for the ... 11
News Cigarettes must have warning pics by July 14 hr alberto 1
News Why US smoking rates are declining faster than ... Thu Pete 1
News Owner of 181-year-old Lafayette bar says no mor... May 25 Tobacco Smoke Stinks 1
News Global Smokeless Tobacco Market Need, Trends an... May 22 Anowar 1
News Cigarette packets standardised with explicit wa... May 22 Move Already 2
More from around the web