Ohio approves state smoking ban

Full story: UPI 76,117
Ohio voters have approved a ban on smoking in virtually all public buildings. Voters approved the sweeping ban while rejecting a competing measure that would have exempted bars and restaurants, the Cleveland ... Full Story

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#76606 Mar 4, 2011
Gordon wrote:
Excuse me I am 65 and still teach a college course in foreign affairs. It takes many years to acquire an appreciation for various cultures and the inner workings of multiple societies. Basic facts can be acquired in a year or two but actual understanding over a prolonged period is worth cash in the bank to many companies. That is why it is not unusual to see some silver hairs in very prestigious board rooms.
Stereotyping elderly people as " bumbling" "naive to current affairs" "bamboozled most of the time" etc speaks to a percentage and by no means not even the majority. Most of us are managing our own affairs well and have the raising and providing for a family behind us. Many are off looking for warmth in the winter, wondering if we should ditch the cottage and so on.
I and others , I am sure, would like you to re-think those comments.You can only hope you will be as well positioned after going through most of your life and the slings and arrows that may befall you.
I wish you well none the less. Just felt you needed to hear that.
<quoted text>
Thank you for your comments, I did generalize and I did not mean to offend. I was only commenting on what I have observed on the news, then broad-stroked a comment.

I stand corrected and thank you for being respectful.
Jerry62

Cleveland, OH

#76607 Mar 6, 2011
Wow... This forum has died since Miss Mouth is gone.

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#76608 Mar 6, 2011
Jerry62 wrote:
Wow... This forum has died since Miss Mouth is gone.
Vereytime I logged on, it jumped 5 or 10 pages LOL
No Smoking Sign

Littleton, CO

#76609 Mar 6, 2011
generalsn1234567 wrote:
<quoted text>Vereytime I logged on, it jumped 5 or 10 pages LOL
what're you talking about?- the last time you posted was 3/2 - that post is on this page. It's only gone about 10 pages since thursday before last.

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#76610 Mar 6, 2011
No Smoking Sign wrote:
<quoted text>
what're you talking about?- the last time you posted was 3/2 - that post is on this page. It's only gone about 10 pages since thursday before last.
That was a few weeks ago.
No Smoking Sign

Littleton, CO

#76611 Mar 6, 2011
generalsn1234567 wrote:
<quoted text> That was a few weeks ago.
oh, you mean it was a few weeks ago since it jumped 5-10 pages. Yeah, it's slowed down considerably - I'm wondering if we're finally seeing the demise of the Ohio smoking ban forum. I guess linda finally gave up trying to push her theory on public business owners property rights - gotta give it to her, though - she was consistant
Jerry62

Cleveland, OH

#76612 Mar 6, 2011
Ladies and Gentleman. I now declare this forum closed, and the argument is settled. Make no mistake about it. The non smokers have won the war.
Jerry62

Frederick, MD

#76613 Mar 6, 2011
I lied again!
Usually lurks

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#76614 Mar 6, 2011
Jerry62 wrote:
Ladies and Gentleman. I now declare this forum closed, and the argument is settled. Make no mistake about it. The non smokers have won the war.
You can "declare" whatever you want. It doesn't make what you have said in this particular post of yours, or any of your posts, or for that matter anything you say, valid.
Non-smokers never were "at war" here, or most anywhere.

There is QUITE a big difference between a non-smoker, and an 'anti'-smoker.

And no, you most definitely- did not "win".
Simon

UK

#76615 Mar 6, 2011
To paint the individuals who are in favor of worldwide bans as anti-smokers is nothing short of ignorance and a level of denial that cannot be denied.
Smokers are clearly and much more likely to be anti against the non-smokers, as they have placed themselves in the "victim" role, and believe that anyone that is pro-ban must be "anti-smoker", which is more likely to spawn their own anti trait against non-smokers.
I have heard friends and others wish ill-will on businesses that have gone non-smoking before any ban, saying something to the effect of, "I hope they fail", and "screw them and their rules"!

Smokers posting in these smoking forums act the very same way although not outwardly, but it comes out in the undertone of their posts, routinely!
Usually lurks

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#76616 Mar 6, 2011
Simon wrote:
To paint the individuals who are in favor of worldwide bans as anti-smokers is nothing short of ignorance
Ummmm... okay...

Guten natch, mien fuhrer.

Since: Mar 07

Reston, VA

#76617 Mar 7, 2011
Usually lurks wrote:
<quoted text>
You can "declare" whatever you want. It doesn't make what you have said in this particular post of yours, or any of your posts, or for that matter anything you say, valid.
When dealing with those who do smoke and those who do, it's fair (for the sake of forums such as this one) to recognize the extremes.

Unfortunately, those who do smoke are the ones that have 'split' the other group into two:'Non-Smokers' and 'Anti-Smokers'. The reality, the SMOKING group should also be split into two. The context brought out in many of these posts put all smokers into one category - the extreme. Extreme meaning: rude, thoughtless and uncaring toward others who do NOT smoke.

Clearly there are those who smoke and there are those who deserve to be put in the extreme category. Many of us are not in the extreme. We wouldn't think of smoking around anyone who was NOT smoking or known to be a smoker.

As a thoughtful and considerate person, it is my duty to recognize those around me and act respectfully.

Since: Mar 07

Reston, VA

#76618 Mar 7, 2011
Usually lurks wrote:
<quoted text>
('When dealing with those who do smoke and those who do,'should read 'When dealing with those who do smoke and those who do not')
ThinkAboutIt

Frederick, MD

#76619 Mar 7, 2011
Thanksgiving 2020

“Winston, come into the dining room, it’s time to eat,” Julia yelled to her husband.“In a minute, honey, it’s a tie score,” he answered.  Actually Winston wasn’t very interested in the traditional holiday football game between Detroit and Washington .  Ever since the government passed the Civility in Sports Statute of 2017, outlawing tackle football for its “unseemly violence” and the “bad example it sets for the rest of the world,” Winston was far less of a football fan than he used to be.  Two-hand touch wasn’t nearly as exciting.

Yet it wasn’t the game that Winston was uninterested in.  It was more the thought of eating another TofuTurkey.

Even though it was the best type of VeggieMeat available after the government revised the American Anti-Obesity Act of 2018, adding fowl to the list of federally-forbidden foods,(which already included potatoes, cranberry sauce and mince-meat pie), it wasn’t anything like real turkey. And ever since the government officially changed the name of “Thanksgiving Day” to “A National Day of Atonement” in 2020 to officially acknowledge the Pilgrims’ historically brutal treatment of Native Americans, the holiday had lost a lot of its luster.

Eating in the dining room was also a bit daunting.  The unearthly gleam of government-mandated fluorescent light bulbs made the TofuTurkey look even weirder than it actually was, and the room was always cold.  Ever since Congress passed the Power Conservation Act of 2016, mandating all thermostats—which were monitored and controlled by the electric company—be kept at 68 degrees, every room on the north side of the house was barely tolerable throughout the entire winter.

Still, it was good getting together with family.  Or at least most of the family.  Winston missed his mother, who passed on in October, when she had used up her legal allotment of live-saving medical treatment.  He had had many heated conversations with the Regional Health Consortium, spawned when the private insurance market finally went bankrupt, and everyone was forced into the government health care program.  And though he demanded she be kept on her treatment, it was a futile effort. “The RHC’s resources are limited,” explained the government bureaucrat Winston spoke with on the phone.“Your mother received all the benefits to which she was entitled.  I’m sorry for your loss.”

Ed couldn’t make it either.  He had forgotten to plug in his electric car last night, the only kind available after the Anti-Fossil Fuel Bill of 2019 outlawed the use of the combustion engines—for everyone but government officials.  The fifty mile round trip was about ten miles too far, and Ed didn’t want to spend a frosty night on the road somewhere between here and there.

Thankfully, Winston’s brother, John, and his wife were flying in.  Winston made sure that the dining room chairs had extra cushions for the occasion.  No one complained more than John about the pain of sitting down so soon after the government-mandated cavity searches at airports, which severely aggravated his hemorrhoids. Ever since a terrorist successfully smuggled a cavity bomb onto a jetliner, the TSA told Americans the added “inconvenience” was an “absolute necessity” in order to stay “one step ahead of the terrorists.” Winston’s own body had grown accustomed to such probing ever since the government expanded their scope to just about anywhere a crowd gathered, via Anti-Profiling Act of 2017.  That law made it a crime to single out any group or individual for “unequal scrutiny,” even when probable cause was involved.  Thus, cavity searches at malls, train stations, bus depots, etc., etc., had become almost routine.  Almost...
ThinkAboutIt

Frederick, MD

#76620 Mar 7, 2011
cont...
The Supreme Court is reviewing the statute, but most Americans expect a Court composed of six progressives and three conservatives to leave the law intact. “A living Constitution is extremely flexible,” said the Court’s eldest member, Elena Kagan. “ Europe has had laws like this one for years.  We should learn from their example,” she added.

Winston’s thoughts turned to his own children.  He got along fairly well with his 12-year-old daughter, Brittany, mostly because she ignored him.  Winston had long ago surrendered to the idea that she could text anyone at any time, even during Atonement Dinner.  Their only real confrontation had occurred when he limited her to 50,000 texts a month, explaining that was all he could afford. She whined for a week, but got over it.

His 16-year-old son, Jason, was another matter altogether..  Perhaps it was the constant bombarding he got in public school that global warming, the bird flu, terrorism or any of a number of other calamities were “just around the corner,” but Jason had developed a kind of nihilistic attitude that ranged between simmering surliness and outright hostility.  It didn’t help that Jason had reported his father to the police for smoking a cigarette in the house, an act made criminal by the Smoking Control Statute of 2018, which outlawed smoking anywhere within 500 feet of another human being.  Winston paid the $5000 fine, which might have been considered excessive before the American dollar became virtually worthless as a result of QE13.  The latest round of quantitative easing the federal government initiated was, once again, to “spur economic growth.”  This time they promised to push unemployment below its years-long rate of 18%, but Winston was not particularly hopeful.

Yet the family had a lot for which to be thankful, Winston thought, before remembering it was a Day of Atonement.  At least he had his memories.  He felt a twinge of sadness when he realized his children would never know what life was like in the Good Old Days, long before government promises to make life “fair for everyone” realized their full potential.  Winston, like so many of his fellow Americans, never realized how much things could change when they didn’t happen all at once, but little by little, so people could get used to them.

He wondered what might have happened if the public had stood up while there was still time, maybe back around 2010, when all the real nonsense began. “Maybe we wouldn’t be where we are today if we’d just said ‘enough is enough’ when we had the chance,” he thought.

Maybe so, Winston.  Maybe so.
Jerry62

Cleveland, OH

#76621 Mar 7, 2011
What a load of crap. More smokers whining. Took a hell of a lot of bandwidth to do it, but still a waste anyhow.

Read my lips dummy. YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO SMOKE WHEREVER YOU FEEL LIKE IT. End of discussion.

Now shut the hell up, eat your boogers, and get off the computer.
Jerry62

Frederick, MD

#76622 Mar 7, 2011
JerryIQ62 wrote:
What a load of crap. More smokers whining. Took a hell of a lot of bandwidth to do it, but still a waste anyhow.
Read my lips dummy. YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO SMOKE WHEREVER YOU FEEL LIKE IT. End of discussion.
I'm your smarter side!
Smokey - Columbus Ohio

Columbus, OH

#76623 Mar 7, 2011
Jerry62 wrote:
Senate bill 8479/ref3.5 ; prohibits eating ones own buggers...also, please send a check payable to United States of America in the amount of $43.00 to 1600 Pennsyvania Ave. NW, Washington DC 20500 for Computer Access Tax, BIAAATCH!
Jerry62

Cleveland, OH

#76624 Mar 7, 2011
Jerry62 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm your smarter side!
You only wish Bozo.
SmokeFreeChiTown

Chicago, IL

#76625 Mar 7, 2011
The smoking bans have been successful here, they will continue to be successful here and in Ohio as well as the surrounding states and across the country and globe!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smoking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No smoking in Restaurants... (Oct '07) 9 hr TruthBeTold 1,768
Opinion: Top senators dodging anti-smoking vote 10 hr answers4u 5
UH-Manoa to begin total ban on smoking 14 hr lolol 3
Growing e-cigarette trend raises safety concerns (Jul '13) Tue Ronald 140
New Mexico bill would limit smoking with kids a... Mar 2 more 4
New Bon Jovi Album on the Way Mar 2 Lida 8
Kicking the habit: What do YOU think can help s... Mar 2 TOBACCO COL0GNE 4
More from around the web