Court: Smokers at fault, not bars | The Columbus Dispatch

Bar owners who try to keep their customers from smoking can't be penalized under the state's anti-smoking law just because a patron disobeys, an appeals court ruled yesterday. Full Story

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#6115 Dec 23, 2009
JDH29 wrote:
<quoted text> smokers would still be enjoying their smoke rather than freezing right now.
Are you sure of that, just think..they can't enforce the bars so how the hell do you think they are policing the other types of businesses LOL You only see yor already smoke free business place, you are locked out of the others and you have no clue what is going on inside and you are a total fool if you claim that you do.

You are so in the dark, blinded by your own ignorance
TellingTheTruth

Portsmouth, OH

#6116 Dec 23, 2009
JDH29 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you were so kind to point out my one mistake- I'd like to point out yours.(Seems fair- right??)
i"M - Someone needs to go back to kindergarden and learn capitalization. Pretty sure when you start a sentence- it STARTS with upper case and then goes down to lower case.
Havent been on the internet or email very long ? All capitalization indicates YELLING.!
JDH29 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to thank you for creating this smoking ban- without people like you; regular smokers would still be enjoying their smoke rather than freezing right now. ;o) You're basically the non-smoker's BEST ally!
Some smoker will obey guide lines , and some smoker will not obey, dont you know anything ? My last job was just after the smoking ban went into effect. Smoking inside at work became a neat game between the smokers and the plant manager who tried his damnest to catch us smoking inside. Damn that was an exciting game. But he was the loser everyday, we had a system that couldnt be beat for smoking at work, inside. So Im sure its happening where you work and at every company in the smoking ban states.

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

#6117 Dec 23, 2009
JDH29 wrote:
<quoted text> complete joke
It sure tickles my funny bone

1. Article published Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ohio legislators dismantle tobacco prevention agency

BLADE COLUMBUS BUREAU

COLUMBUS - Gov. Ted Strickland yesterday pounded the last nail into the coffin of the state's quasigovernment anti-smoking agency

2. They did give them 40 million to cover a year (this year) which is not enough to enforce the ban

3. About half th ecounties are not enforcing the ban..could be more by now

4. Tobacco programs
State may stub out anti-smoking funds Ohio is poised to reduce its spending on anti-tobacco programs from $40 million a year early this decade to nothing

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/ ...

5. Meanwhile, Ohioís much-touted emphasis on curbing smoking has moved to a back burner. Thanks to budget raids, a politically popular property tax cut and a pending lawsuit, the state is in the process of gutting spending on smoking cessation and prevention, while enforcement of the voter-approved statewide indoor smoking ban has decreased.

http://www.journal-news.com/news/ohio-news/oh ...

BOOM!!!!!

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

#6118 Dec 23, 2009
TellingTheTruth wrote:
<quoted text> Smoking inside at work became a neat game between the smokers and the plant manager
Just think, some managers and business owners of plants, offices, etc are smokers and no game is required

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#6119 Dec 23, 2009
TellingTheTruth wrote:
<quoted text> Havent been on the internet or email very long ? All capitalization indicates YELLING.!<quoted text>Some smoker will obey guide lines , and some smoker will not obey, dont you know anything ? My last job was just after the smoking ban went into effect. Smoking inside at work became a neat game between the smokers and the plant manager who tried his damnest to catch us smoking inside. Damn that was an exciting game. But he was the loser everyday, we had a system that couldnt be beat for smoking at work, inside. So Im sure its happening where you work and at every company in the smoking ban states.
Hate to tell you this pal- but I work in a nice office for a fortune 500 companies that donít even TOLORATE smoking OUTSIDE of the building- let alone- inside!!! LOL. Ross Laboratories will FIRE you (no warning) if you are caught within 100 yards of smoking.(On or off the clock).

;o) I guess some people aren't privilege enough to work for a higher class company than to run around like a rat and ditching your smoke when 'the man' comes by. And you don't think you look like a bitch when you toss the cigarette in fear of losing your job?

Location hidden

#6120 Dec 23, 2009
u cannot own me wrote:
<quoted text>Just think, some managers and business owners of plants, offices, etc are smokers and no game is required
Name one.

;o) Must be nice living in that fantasy world of yours. Smokers paradise- huh??
TellingTheTruth

Portsmouth, OH

#6121 Dec 23, 2009
JDH29 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to tell you this pal- but I work in a nice office for a fortune 500 companies that donít even TOLORATE smoking OUTSIDE of the building- let alone- inside!!! LOL. Ross Laboratories will FIRE you (no warning) if you are caught within 100 yards of smoking.(On or off the clock).
;o) I guess some people aren't privilege enough to work for a higher class company than to run around like a rat and ditching your smoke when 'the man' comes by. And you don't think you look like a bitch when you toss the cigarette in fear of losing your job?
Are you sure ? I know alot of smokers who work at both the Fortune 500 in my town, and they play the same game.! Plus they have the same stupid rules as your company.!

Ah sorry but I never had to ditch one smoke.! Our strategy was sound and couldnt be penatrated. Too many of us.!
I was never in fear of losing my job, I was quitting in a few months anyway, so it wasnt a factor.! I ended up quitting and smoked the whole time inside.!

The only Rats we had was the ones trying to catch us.! Who was alot like you (Phobic), only smarter. Which I use the term smarter loosly because it wouldnt take much to be smarter then you.! Pig.
TellingTheTruth

Portsmouth, OH

#6122 Dec 23, 2009
JDH29 wrote:
<quoted text>
Name one.
;o) Must be nice living in that fantasy world of yours. Smokers paradise- huh??
Transco Railway Products.!
TellingTheTruth

Portsmouth, OH

#6123 Dec 23, 2009
u cannot own me wrote:
<quoted text>It sure tickles my funny bone
1. Article published Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Ohio legislators dismantle tobacco prevention agency
BLADE COLUMBUS BUREAU
COLUMBUS - Gov. Ted Strickland yesterday pounded the last nail into the coffin of the state's quasigovernment anti-smoking agency
2. They did give them 40 million to cover a year (this year) which is not enough to enforce the ban
3. About half th ecounties are not enforcing the ban..could be more by now
4. Tobacco programs
State may stub out anti-smoking funds Ohio is poised to reduce its spending on anti-tobacco programs from $40 million a year early this decade to nothing
http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/ ...
5. Meanwhile, Ohioís much-touted emphasis on curbing smoking has moved to a back burner. Thanks to budget raids, a politically popular property tax cut and a pending lawsuit, the state is in the process of gutting spending on smoking cessation and prevention, while enforcement of the voter-approved statewide indoor smoking ban has decreased.
http://www.journal-news.com/news/ohio-news/oh ...
BOOM!!!!!
As The ACS Reverend Trooth knotah Tellen says:
" Ker-Plunk." or Timber!

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#6124 Dec 23, 2009
JDH29 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for Mark Twain- funny you smokers have to quote OTHER people-what? Do you really have that LOW of a self esteem you have to quote other people?
"All smokers smell like feces and every second they smoke- they take away a second of their life"
By some guy.
ROTFLMFAO
Tobacco is a dirty weed. I like it.
It satisfies no normal need. I like it.
It makes you thin, it makes you lean,
It takes the hair right off your bean
It's the worst darn stuff I've ever seen.
I like it.
~Graham Lee Hemminger, Tobacco

“12oz libertarian”

Since: Dec 07

chi-town 'Inner City'

#6125 Dec 23, 2009
JDH29 wrote:
Ross Laboratories will FIRE you (no warning) if you are caught within 100 yards of smoking.(On or off the clock).
Oh good grief.
So u work for Abbott essentially. That explains everything.
http://www.abbottlaboratoriescorporation.com/
http://blogs.jobdig.com/diggings/2006/04/11/c...
How often do they do drug testing these days, monthly, LOL.
Companies like that are as bad as old Henry Ford. Has management scheduled their 'in home' visit to make sure you live your life according to 'their' standards?
It's only a matter of time before you'll have to start 'weighing in' at the start of the day.
*shakes head*
Just one more reason why you coulndn't pay me enough to work for these rent seeking corporate drug pushers.
Tomorrow

Waverly, OH

#6126 Dec 23, 2009
u cannot own me wrote:
<quoted text> She did not deny the fraud accusations either LOL
Yea, I noticed the crickets got really quite, didn't they?

Location hidden

#6127 Dec 23, 2009
PicassoIII wrote:
<quoted text>Oh good grief.
So u work for Abbott essentially. That explains everything.
http://www.abbottlaboratoriescorporation.com/
http://blogs.jobdig.com/diggings/2006/04/11/c...
How often do they do drug testing these days, monthly, LOL.
Companies like that are as bad as old Henry Ford. Has management scheduled their 'in home' visit to make sure you live your life according to 'their' standards?
It's only a matter of time before you'll have to start 'weighing in' at the start of the day.
*shakes head*
Just one more reason why you coulndn't pay me enough to work for these rent seeking corporate drug pushers.
That's fine- you wouldn't be hired from this company anyways! You need a thing called a college diploma! ;o) Have fun flipping burgers smokey!

Location hidden

#6128 Dec 23, 2009
TellingTheTruth wrote:
<quoted text>Are you sure ?
The only Rats we had was the ones trying to catch us.! Who was alot like you (Phobic), only smarter. Which I use the term smarter loosly because it wouldnt take much to be smarter then you.! Pig.
Funny you mention that- Let me remind you- MY kind was able to pass a ban to keep you from smoking in public! Guess you smokers aren't as smart as you think you are! ;o) I love reminding you that! Still in full effect! Let's hear you cry now!! wahhh!!!!! Don't forget!! MY side won! hahahahah! 3 years AND counting!!!!

OH! and for those rats that state- I STILL SMOKE! You still smoke b/c you live in the gutters that America doesn't care about and are ashamed of! ;o)

Location hidden

#6129 Dec 23, 2009
TellingTheTruth wrote:
<quoted text>Are you sure ? I know alot of smokers who work at both the Fortune 500 in my town, and they play the same game.! Plus they have the same stupid rules as your company.!
I know you probably have a McDonalds and Burger King in your red-neck town (they ARE fortune 500 companies!)- but please...don't pretend to show any class by stating that where you live- has a high standard of living. You already proved your town to be a un-respectable place to live. ;o)

“12oz libertarian”

chi-town 'Inner City'

#6130 Dec 23, 2009
JDH29 wrote:
That's fine- you wouldn't be hired from this company anyways! You need a thing called a college diploma! ;o) Have fun flipping burgers smokey!
Double major Chemistry - Environmental Sciences with a minor in Bio. Almost applied to med school until some hospital experiences (older relatives) convinced me that our murrican medical system is pretty f-ed up. Plus, i can't stand golf, prefer auto racing and sailing.
I've worked for the DOE, one of the top 5 environmental labs in the world and currently supervise a couple of departments for the largest waste water lab in the US.
I've interviewed with the USEPA and the Chicago Dept o Water (to RUN their Chem lab). In both cases it was pretty clear by the end of the interview ..... they couldn't afford me.
My boss calls me 'MacGyver' on a regular basis and can count on one hand the number of times a scientist/doctor/engineer has gone 'over my head'.
I stay current like a fiend, Dawkin's 'Selfish Gene' is on my nightstand right now.

Please ... in a battle of wits your a$$ would be handed to you before you even open your mouth.

“12oz libertarian”

chi-town 'Inner City'

#6131 Dec 23, 2009
*Selfish Gene...

Yeah, i know it's not that new, but DePaul Bio was more into SJ Gould school. The whole Intelligent Design controversy got me curious about all that stuff again.

Location hidden

#6132 Dec 23, 2009
JDH29 wrote:
<quoted text>
So, it's ok with you that your employer kills people with drugs, yet you protest shs, a product that has never been proven to kill even one person???? Pathetic. BTW I have both a BA and an MA, so I could work for your killer company. I just would not do that.
In the quest for ruthless profit, Abbott's/CAT's drug Humira is no different. Like the warning sign on a cigarette packet, Abbott admits "Serious side effects, which sometimes lead to death, have happened in patients taking HUMIRA". Furthermore effects to the exposure of the active ingredient Adalimumab include serious and sometimes fatal blood disorders, serious infections including TB (tuberculosis) and infections caused by viruses, lymphoma and solid tissue cancers, serious liver injury, demyelinating central nervous system disorders, cardiac failure and death. Abbott would say that some of these side effects are rare but would that concern you if you were a victim? Also, how rare are these fatal side effects? For example, if the clinical trials were done on 5,000 people and 2 died, then a simple calculation of 5 million people taking the drug would equate to 2,000 people dying in order to cure a non-fatal condition.

The health warnings on packets of cigarettes did not help the tobacco giants to escape from class actions, does a similar fate await Abbott and Cambridge Antibody Technology?

"Humira - 700 deaths

Admitting the officially recognised rate of 0,93 % of deaths and taking into consideration the statements from Abbot in Portuguese Court that 100.000 patients had taken this medicine, we must conclude for an estimated number of 930 deaths (100.000* 0,93 %) within a period of two years, of which 75% or that is 698 deaths were directly provoked by Humira."....©2005 Citizen Ship eu-citizenship.com

Location hidden

#6133 Dec 23, 2009
Standing Up To Abbott's Decision to Withhold Registration and Marketing of Life-Saving Medicines - A New Variant of Pharmaceutical Apartheid
by Brook Baker
http://www.cptech.org/blogs/ipdisputesinmedic...
Abbott is now doing what drug companies have long threatened to do when developing countries use lawful flexibilities to access more affordable generic medicines - it is threatening to take its marbles and go home. Unfortunately, however, Abbott is not playing marbles, it is playing a deadly game of Pharmaceutical Apartheid, where drug companies withhold access to affordable life-saving medicines in a perverse effort to preserve intellectual property rights at all costs.
Abbott is upset because Thailand has lawfully issued a compulsory license on an important antiretroviral medicine, Kaletra. According to Abbott (and its think-tank apologists and Wall Street Journal defenders), Thailand issued this license without prior negotiations for a price discount or for a voluntary license. However, contrary to Abbott's claim, both international law (the WTO TRIPS Agreement, Article 31) and the Thailand Patent Act permit Thailand to issue compulsory licenses for governmental, noncommercial use without prior negotiation. Moreover, contrary to Abbott's claim, Thailand, like many other developing countries, had long engaged in fruitless negotiations with Big Pharma for deeper price discounts, but Abbott used its monopoly power to unilaterally determine the price points for its tiered-pricing "access" program.
Because Thailand has not caved into to threats and entreaties from Abbott, the USTR, certain members of Congress, and the international business press,

Location hidden

#6134 Dec 23, 2009
Abbott has now raised the stakes further by withdrawing registration applications for the new heat stable form of Kaletra, an important AIDS medicine, and for six other medicines that it had submitted for marketing approval.(The meltrex, heat stable form of Kaletra is especially important in warm country climates like Thailand were maintaining a cold-supply chain and ensuring that poor patients have access to refrigerators to store their medicines is virtually impossible.)
This withdrawal is profoundly cynical and immoral. A company which has been subsidized through NIH and university research for most of its discoveries, which gets huge taxes breaks for its research and development expenditures, and which earns monopoly profits on all its sales in rich country markets that collectively comprise 90% of global pharmaceutical sales, now determines that it will withhold marketing of life-saving medicines when a country seeks to exercise its lawful, TRIPS-compliant rights to access more affordable generic medicines.
This withdrawal will make it much more difficult for Thailand to grant marketing approval for generic versions of Kaletra and other Abbott medicines because the Thai drug regulatory authority will not simply be able to compare the generic version against the innovator version to confirm that they are therapeutically equivalent. In the worst case scenario, generic companies will now have to repeat costly, time-consuming, and ultimately unethical clinical trials to prove something that is already crystal clear - equivalent generic medicines are safe and efficacious. Even if Thailand decides to forego reliance on new clinical trials, it may instead have to amend its law so that it can rely on WHO pre-qualification and/or the fact of registration by a stringent regulatory authority elsewhere.(Note: The U.S. is trying to block Thailand's future right to legislate such reliance in its free trade agreement negotiation where it seeks five-years of data exclusivity.)
However, even though Abbott will not necessarily by able to completely block registration of follow-on generics by its market withdrawals, its withdrawals will have devastating effects for those medicines for which there is no generic alternative at present.
Thus, to prove its point, and to maintain its market and intellectual property hegemony, Abbott is willing to make Thailand and its patients a "no drug zone." The predictable, inevitable consequence of this cynical power play will be the deaths of innocent patients.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smoking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bourbon County smoke-free advocates push for sm... (Nov '11) 10 min Daryl 241
As Statewide Smoking Ban Burns Out in Capitol, ... 22 hr generalsn1234567 1
Petaluma City Council OKs tough smoking ban (Jan '13) Sat lukyvc 69
Smoking causes many different types of cancer Fri Vaccine Caused 4
golden virginia Dec 18 derek hughes 1
Do you think people should be banned from smoki... Dec 17 LELA 14
ecigsbrand electronic cigarette (ecigsbrand.com... (Mar '13) Dec 17 Taajsgpm 47
More from around the web