Court: Smokers at fault, not bars | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Bar owners who try to keep their customers from smoking can't be penalized under the state's anti-smoking law just because a patron disobeys, an appeals court ruled yesterday.
Comments
5,901 - 5,920 of 12,549 Comments Last updated Jul 30, 2010
TruthBeTold

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

Judged:

u cannot own me wrote:
OOPS, I SAW OLD HEN AS TBT USUALLY CALLS ME BUT DAMN, SOMEBODY ELSE GOT THE NAME LOL
Sorry...I hope you don't mind me sharing it with others!:o)
TruthBeTold

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

Judged:

Ok linda...a bit tired and off to bed...I will see ya tomorrow after probably about 50 to 100 more posts. lol

Lets see, this post is about 5910 or 5911 I think, ill have to see the spread tomorrow!
TruthBeTold

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

Judged:

u cannot own me wrote:
<quoted text>
i'M SO SORRY FOR ****NYOR**** READING AND COMPREHENDING PROBLEM, PERHAPS SCHOOL AND A HEAD DOCTOR WOULD help you
Too funny...lmfoa

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

TruthBeTold wrote:
Ok linda...a bit tired and off to bed...I will see ya tomorrow after probably about 50 to 100 more posts. lol
Lets see, this post is about 5910 or 5911 I think, ill have to see the spread tomorrow!
you should have registered under all the names you used so we could see your huge total..hecck, I'm darn proud of mine cause it bothers the hell out of you and the other jerk off

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

TruthBeTold wrote:
<quoted text>Too funny...lmfoa
too funny****lmfoa***** LMAO
Sez Who

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

Judged:

History Buff wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not in the Cincy area. Topix likes to relocate people.
OK. Then where are you located, that all the restaurants around you closed? Must be a very small town.
Tomorrow

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

u cannot own me wrote:
<quoted text> Would you trust anything Susan Jagers says, she is nothing but a paid mouthpiece (lobbyist) for smoke free Ohio and we know about their fraud? I would not trust any of them ..such liars, remember Sabetta getting caught lying at the meeting and wasn't that Susan jaagers with her?
yes it was. I know this statement is another one of her lies, I would just like to confront her and ask to see the records.
I had the news reports of Sabetta's little tantrum but don't want to look for them right now, then the retraction to her statements after the OSP confirmed she lied. LOL

“12oz libertarian”

Since: Dec 07

chi-town 'Inner City'

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

GTW911 wrote:
Isn't that why OSHA was established?
Funny you should mention that.
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_...
"Because the organic material in tobacco doesn't burn completely, cigarette smoke contains more than 4,700 chemical compounds. Although OSHA has no regulation that addresses tobacco smoke as a whole, 29 CFR 1910.1000 Air contaminants, limits employee exposure to several of the main chemical components found in tobacco smoke. In normal situations, exposures would not exceed these permissible exposure limits (PELs), and, as a matter of prosecutorial discretion, OSHA will not apply the General Duty Clause to ETS."

OSHA HAS looked at SHS. Compared to REAL workplace 'risks' they don't bother.
IF somthing bumps your chances of a serious disease from 1 to 10% they step in. If it bumps it up from 1 to 1.2% they understand there are too many other factors to say for sure in general and specifically with the job itself. Not to mention IF there is a big risk, they do a cost-benefit analysis and then institute exposure LIMITS.
What's beyond ironic is the Fed was sued by ASH in teh mid 90s in fact which promted them to hold hearings on it. OSHA was about to SET an evidence based exposure limit and ASH dropped the suit cause they simply wanted a ban.
GTW911 wrote:
So you are suggesting that a person has no control over their enviroment if they choose to work with a knowningly hazardous condition already present?[QUOTE]They do it all the time!!!
Also they can: not take the job, work with their employer to reduce the hazard (set up 'environmental controls') IE turning on a vent,'force' the employer by calling ... uh, OSHA.
Again, linesmen, roofers, driving salespeople, welders, pilots, fisherman and lumerjacks all have jobs much far MORE hazardous than WORKING in SHS 40hrs a week. And that's IF the clearly jacked EPA-IARC numbers stack up.
http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/13/pf/dangerousj...
And it's not as if these jobs aren't HIGHLY regulated already.

[QUOTE who="GTW911"]
The reasone Asbestos and Coal Miners are flooding our legal system with countless lawsuits?
Again, great point. Asbestos isn't banned, simply regulated.
“OSHA,(Occupational Safety and Health Administration) has set limits of 100,000 fibers with lengths greater than or equal to 5 µm per cubic meter of workplace air for 8-hour shifts and 40-hour work weeks”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos#United_...

As for coal, that's the best example yet. If coal mining burning were banned, entire regions would be devastated by unemployment AND electric rates would skyrocket.
Would you put up with your electric bill tripling for a few years while alternatives were constructed. Even with TONS of regulations and precautions, mining is dangerous regardless of what they're digging. So even IF they find jobs doing something else it's likely to be almost as risky. And it's all far more dangerous than the supposed 40hr a week risk of regular exposure to SHS.
Which is far more hazardous than a couple of hours a week in a smoky bar. Not to mention a drop in the veritable toxin-carcinogen bucket you walk around in, all day, every day .(unless you live on a mountain top in alaska or something).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...
Ah the semi, what modern american society would utterly collapse without.

“12oz libertarian”

Since: Dec 07

chi-town 'Inner City'

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

Ah, crap. Bad block quotes.

Mine not GTW's.
Also they can: not take the job, work with their employer to reduce the hazard (set up 'environmental controls') IE turning on a vent,'force' the employer by calling ... uh, OSHA, or strike.
Again, linesmen, roofers, driving salespeople, welders, pilots, fisherman and lumerjacks all have jobs much far MORE hazardous than WORKING in SHS 40hrs a week. And that's IF the clearly jacked EPA-IARC numbers stack up.
http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/13/pf/dangerousj...
And it's not as if these jobs aren't HIGHLY regulated already.
Tomorrow

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

Judged:

Tell me why the ODH doesn't provide it's employee's with gear when they investigate smoking complaints? If SHS is so deadly, surely they would have to protect their workers, just as they require all the other employees in Ohio not be exposed to SHS.
Sez Who

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

Tomorrow wrote:
I wish she would show me these court records she referred to in this statement.
--------
Susan Jagers, co-chairwoman of the SmokeFree Ohio group that sponsored the ballot measure, said the "new" allegations were addressed in 30 lawsuits brought by the Ohio Licensed Beverage Association and other opponents in 2006, she said.
She is referring to a suit filed by Ohio Licensed Beverage Association (OLBA) against Ken Blackwell in the spring of 2006, challenging his certification of the Smokefree petitions:

http://media.www.miamistudent.net/media/stora...

"...an Ohio court decided last Thursday that the Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell legally certified more than 97,000 signatures filed by SmokeFreeOhio, a nonprofit organization funded in part by the American Cancer Society, in support of a petition for a statewide smoking ban.

The Ohio Licensed Beverage Association (OLBA) filed a suit alleging that signatures from 30 counties presented pending challenges when Blackwell certified the petition, according to Jacob Evans, the lobbyist for the OLBA. The groups working alongside the OLBA include R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company and the Ohio Restaurant Association."
Tomorrow

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

Why doesn't she say the truth then, instead of lying? She said there were 30
lawsuits.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

Judged:

Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it.
Mark Twain
Good for Mark Twain- funny you smokers have to quote OTHER people-what? Do you really have that LOW of a self esteem you have to quote other people?

"All smokers smell like feces and every second they smoke- they take away a second of their life"

By some guy.

ROTFLMFAO

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

Judged:

Sez Who wrote:
<quoted text>
She is referring to a suit filed by Ohio Licensed Beverage Association (OLBA) against Ken Blackwell in the spring of 2006, challenging his certification of the Smokefree petitions:
http://media.www.miamistudent.net/media/stora...
"...an Ohio court decided last Thursday that the Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell legally certified more than 97,000 signatures filed by SmokeFreeOhio, a nonprofit organization funded in part by the American Cancer Society, in support of a petition for a statewide smoking ban.
The Ohio Licensed Beverage Association (OLBA) filed a suit alleging that signatures from 30 counties presented pending challenges when Blackwell certified the petition, according to Jacob Evans, the lobbyist for the OLBA. The groups working alongside the OLBA include R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company and the Ohio Restaurant Association."
that is not 30 lawsuits, she lied. Blackwell didn't certify the petitions his asst SOS did before the petitions were approved. Actually sfo lied to the court by not turning in all of the counties to the court as ordered which is a part of the fraud on the state of Ohio and the signature tally.

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

Tomorrow wrote:
Tell me why the ODH doesn't provide it's employee's with gear when they investigate smoking complaints? If SHS is so deadly, surely they would have to protect their workers, just as they require all the other employees in Ohio not be exposed to SHS.
they don't believe the shs claims

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

Tomorrow wrote:
Why doesn't she say the truth then, instead of lying? She said there were 30
lawsuits.
She did not deny the fraud accusations either LOL
TellingTheTruth

Portsmouth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

JDH29 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for Mark Twain- funny you smokers have to quote OTHER people-what? Do you really have that LOW of a self esteem you have to quote other people?
"All smokers smell like feces and every second they smoke- they take away a second of their life"
By some guy.
ROTFLMFAO
Good Morning FREAK-O ! You dont seem to be on your game yet today...? No trash talking yet, whats up with that ?

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

Judged:

u cannot own me wrote:
<quoted text>
i'M SO SORRY FOR NYOR READING AND COMPREHENDING PROBLEM, PERHAPS SCHOOL AND A HEAD DOCTOR WOULD help you
Since you were so kind to point out my one mistake- I'd like to point out yours.(Seems fair- right??)

i"M - Someone needs to go back to kindergarden and learn capitalization. Pretty sure when you start a sentence- it STARTS with upper case and then goes down to lower case.

NYOR- Are you kidding me? The best part about this sentence that you BOTCHED to no extent- is the fact you are TRYING to make fun of someone else’s READING and COMPREHENDING skills?! You seriously don't see why people think you're a complete joke?!!!

You make it all too easy for us.:o)

I'd like to thank you for creating this smoking ban- without people like you; regular smokers would still be enjoying their smoke rather than freezing right now. ;o) You're basically the non-smoker's BEST ally!
TellingTheTruth

Portsmouth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

Judged:

Pass all the Bans you want, think your breath all the fresh air you want. But you cant hide form these Killers.!
If I were you non smokers these are the Killers I would be looking out for:

I have know many non smoker who have died from the 1st. one.!

Malignant neoplasms ... 559,888

Ischemic heart disease ... 425,425

Cerebrovascular diseases .. 137,119

Other cancer-promoting genetic abnormalities may randomly occur through errors in DNA replication, or are inherited, and thus present in all cells from birth.

From the ACS's own Web site.

Estimated New Cancer Cases and Deaths by Sex, US, 2009*

Digestive system.......... 275,720

Genital system.......... 282,690

Prostate.......... 192,280

Urinary system.......... 131,010

http://www.cancer.org/downloads/STT/500809web... page 4.!

Has the ACS promotion of smoking bans created a false sense of long life for you Non Smoking FREAKS !

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

JDH29 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you were so kind to point out my one mistake- I'd like to point out yours.(Seems fair- right??)
i"M - Someone needs to go back to kindergarden and learn capitalization. Pretty sure when you start a sentence- it STARTS with upper case and then goes down to lower case.
NYOR- Are you kidding me? The best part about this sentence that you BOTCHED to no extent- is the fact you are TRYING to make fun of someone else’s READING and COMPREHENDING skills?! You seriously don't see why people think you're a complete joke?!!!
You make it all too easy for us.:o)
I'd like to thank you for creating this smoking ban- without people like you; regular smokers would still be enjoying their smoke rather than freezing right now. ;o) You're basically the non-smoker's BEST ally!
I don't claim to be perfect, you do LOL, I point out my own mistakes so go sit in your dunce corner troll

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••