Average Kentucky Smoker Spends $2,000...

Average Kentucky Smoker Spends $2,000 a Year on Cigarettes

There are 11 comments on the WBKO-TV Bowling Green story from Jun 14, 2013, titled Average Kentucky Smoker Spends $2,000 a Year on Cigarettes. In it, WBKO-TV Bowling Green reports that:

The state health commissioner says the typical smoker in Kentucky spent $2,237 to buy 468 packs of cigarettes last year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBKO-TV Bowling Green.

Does anyone care

United States

#1 Jun 17, 2013
If they spent that much money on cigarettes they either have more money than they need or they are all idiots... actually if you smoke at all you are an idiot.

There is not one good excuse to do it!!! But a 1000 reasons to quit or never start.
Aboutyer2ndhando pinion

Frederick, MD

#2 Jun 17, 2013
No.
Tax payer money

Atlanta, GA

#3 Jun 18, 2013
Yes and how many of them a-holes are on welfare or food stamps, so we the taxpayer ends up paying for their nasty harmful smoking habit. If you are using the tax payer’s money on welfare or food stamps you should be tested for nicotine and prohibited from any taxpayer money if you smoke. I'm sick of paying for other people’s stupidity.
no way

Columbus, IN

#5 Jun 18, 2013
I suppose we all have bad habits but it seems really wasteful to me. I sure wouldn't do it if I had kids that had to do without while I puffed away.
I smell BS

Murray, KY

#7 Jun 23, 2013
Wow. Really! You kind of have a good point but this is only HALF true, and very opinionated. I smoke daily. I also work as an EMT/Medical Advisor and I am part of the Emergency crisis management team and still, to this day, make it "with more than enough". I am also on both FS and Medical Card. In today's society over half of the population both smoke and/or receive help from the government. It's not our fault. It is Obama's stupidity for making the economy worse and people still vote for him!! Think about it..... before Obama, the economy wasn't great, but it was a hell of a lot better than today.(also, I believe smoking is part of free will) I'm sure everyone does something that could be classified as idiotic, don't ya think.....
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#9 Jun 24, 2013
I smell BS wrote:
In today's society over half of the population both smoke and/or receive help from the government.
When you use the word "both", you don't get to use "and/or" after it, it can only be "and."

If what you were trying to say was that more than half of the population both smokes and receives public assistance, that's obviously wrong because (even in Kentucky) only 28% of adults smoke.

What was the point you were trying to make?

Since: Jun 13

Murray, KY

#10 Jun 24, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
When you use the word "both", you don't get to use "and/or" after it, it can only be "and."
If what you were trying to say was that more than half of the population both smokes and receives public assistance, that's obviously wrong because (even in Kentucky) only 28% of adults smoke.
What was the point you were trying to make?
I was just saying that it is not completely true that smokers' would be making it "with more than enough" if they didn't smoke. I am living proof of that. I'm not saying that your wrong because smoking is wasteful and does take a lot out of one person's income, but the real issue with the ones who live poorly and also receive assistance is just pure laziness and their lack of education. Also, smoking isn't the only wasteful habit that causes this same issue. What about alcoholics, pot heads, or pill-heads?? Those too, can cause someone to live at a lower standard and they aren't good for the body either. I apologize ahead of time if this post is hard to understand, and for the fog in original post. Lastly, my grammar is irrelevant to the subject. I've noticed a lot of people straying from the topic and arguing over nothing. I am not here for that so if what you have to say is irrelevant, no need for a reply. Thanks.
sorry charlie

La Fayette, KY

#11 Jun 25, 2013
i dont smoke im poor as dirt but im ok
. if you smoke and you want to save money get a bag of pipe tobacco and a box of cigg tubes and a lil cheap machine you can ssmoke for under $25 a month.pipe tobacco is the same thing as cigg tobacco but its way cheaper i have many friends who do this to save money
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#12 Jun 25, 2013
hcurtsinger wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just saying that it is not completely true that smokers' would be making it "with more than enough" if they didn't smoke.
$2000 a year isn't that much to some folks, but if you are poor, it's a lot of money. I've had friends that would use their very limited funds for booze and smokes, and not have enough left for food. If you are poor, you need to make hard choices on what to with your money.
hcurtsinger wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize ahead of time if this post is hard to understand, and for the fog in original post. Lastly, my grammar is irrelevant to the subject. I've noticed a lot of people straying from the topic and arguing over nothing. I am not here for that so if what you have to say is irrelevant, no need for a reply. Thanks.
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings --- I just didn't understand what point you were trying to make. Lots of folks come here to insult people they've never met. I'm not one of those people.
wise one

Mayfield, KY

#13 Jun 25, 2013
Tax payer money wrote:
Yes and how many of them a-holes are on welfare or food stamps, so we the taxpayer ends up paying for their nasty harmful smoking habit. If you are using the tax payerÂ’s money on welfare or food stamps you should be tested for nicotine and prohibited from any taxpayer money if you smoke. I'm sick of paying for other peopleÂ’s stupidity.
I totally agree!!!!!
wise one

Mayfield, KY

#14 Jun 25, 2013
I smell BS wrote:
Wow. Really! You kind of have a good point but this is only HALF true, and very opinionated. I smoke daily. I also work as an EMT/Medical Advisor and I am part of the Emergency crisis management team and still, to this day, make it "with more than enough". I am also on both FS and Medical Card. In today's society over half of the population both smoke and/or receive help from the government. It's not our fault. It is Obama's stupidity for making the economy worse and people still vote for him!! Think about it..... before Obama, the economy wasn't great, but it was a hell of a lot better than today.(also, I believe smoking is part of free will) I'm sure everyone does something that could be classified as idiotic, don't ya think.....
You smoke and we work so our taxes can pay for your food and medical, which is fabulous; you can use your money saved to buy smokes. Pitiful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smoking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The last gasp - smoker takes a stand 12 min I agree but one t... 1
News Treating Erectile Dysfunction (Feb '09) 12 hr ranasuresh334 91
News Bid to ban smoking outside bars 'a step too far' 22 hr Sneaky Pete 8
News Teens Using E-Cigs More Prone to Take Up Smokin... Mon MichaelMcFadden 1
News Light' Smoking Is Still SmokingBy Russell Saunders Sun well 1
News Smoking Cigarettes Increases Your Schizophrenia... Jul 25 Quit 3
News Brighton Council: what have you been smoking? Jul 23 Good article 1
More from around the web