Group looks to prohibit tobacco use in parks

Nov 9, 2012 Full story: The Inter-Mountain 53

Upshur County Tobacco Coalition members spoke recently to the Buckhannon City Council, requesting support of a policy that would prohibit the use of tobacco in public parks and recreational facilities in the city.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
no freedom

Elkins, WV

#1 Nov 14, 2012
I find it ridiculous that busy bodies have nothing better to do with their time that to punish non violent citizens for smoking a legal f'n cigarette. Smokers pay a higher tax for their smokes than busy bodies pay for the makeup they paint on their ugly faces. If smoking is prohibited I feel ugly people, dog owners, people with children over 5 years old and old men should not be allowed in public parks.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#2 Nov 14, 2012
I am a smoker and I don't have a problem with this,I think we need to have more respect for non smoker's.I will NOT smoke or even ask to smoke in some one's home or vehicle that doesn't smoke,and if I see you doing it I WILL say something to you.We are the one's who chose to kill ourselves one puff at a time,not them...why should they have to be exposed to it?? Wish I had never started smoking,it's a nasty habit that is very hard to break.
I don't see how this would actually work anyway,unless they had someone there at all times to enforce it.
enuf is enuf

Elkins, WV

#3 Nov 16, 2012
WVBekah wrote:
I am a smoker and I don't have a problem with this,I think we need to have more respect for non smoker's.I will NOT smoke or even ask to smoke in some one's home or vehicle that doesn't smoke,and if I see you doing it I WILL say something to you.We are the one's who chose to kill ourselves one puff at a time,not them...why should they have to be exposed to it?? Wish I had never started smoking,it's a nasty habit that is very hard to break.
I don't see how this would actually work anyway,unless they had someone there at all times to enforce it.
I don't smoke either but I don't feel that smokers should be segregated. I think they are punished enough by not being allowed to smoke in restaurants and bars and so forth. I find it ridiculous that Joyce Harris Thacker would say that people can't come out to enjoy things because of second hand smoke. Has she not seen the droves of people lining the streets for Strawberry festival parades. She, just like most of government, is just trying to infringe on the freedom of Americans. I find it pathetic that we continue to let the government dictate what we can and cannot do. Its not like a non smoker is going to stand and inhale a whole cigarette just walking by. Oh, and by the way has Joyce Harris Thacker smelled the exhaust fumes coming from her family's garage, ProLube? If she wants to complain she should picket the garage. My asthma has never been as bad as it was after getting my truck repaired at their garage.
rebel smoker

Morgantown, WV

#4 Nov 17, 2012
Pass any ordinance that you want. I'll still smoke wherever I want to.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#5 Nov 18, 2012
rebel smoker wrote:
Pass any ordonance you want. I'll pour a bucket of piss over your head.
rebel smoker

Morgantown, WV

#6 Nov 18, 2012
Bud Schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Pass any ordonance you want. I'll pour a bucket of piss over your head.
Then after your ass is beat, I'll blow smoke in your face.

Location hidden

#7 Nov 18, 2012
rebel smoker wrote:
<quoted text>Then after your ass is beat, I'll blow smoke in your face.
Big talk coming from a smoker. How far can you chase me????
100 feet, maybe, before you turn blue and drop to the ground.

The big, bad smoker must not realize what kind of damage smoking does to the lungs and heart long before cancer begins to show up.

LMAO @ "rebel" smoker. If you want to "rebel", why don't you rebel against the ones who are trying to kill you- Big Tobacco?
Sheik Yerbouti

Pennington, NJ

#8 Nov 18, 2012
We are becoming a wussy nation of busybodies!!
rebel smoker

Morgantown, WV

#9 Nov 18, 2012
Bud Schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Big talk coming from a smoker. How far can you chase me????
100 feet, maybe, before you turn blue and drop to the ground.
The big, bad smoker must not realize what kind of damage smoking does to the lungs and heart long before cancer begins to show up.
LMAO @ "rebel" smoker. If you want to "rebel", why don't you rebel against the ones who are trying to kill you- Big Tobacco?
If you are in close enough proximity to dump piss on me, you're close enough for me to drop. I wouldn't have to run anywhere.

Location hidden

#10 Nov 18, 2012
rebel smoker wrote:
<quoted text>If you are in close enough proximity to dump piss on me, you're close enough for me to drop. I wouldn't have to run anywhere.
Guess I'll just have to use a supe soaker then.

Until then, I'll tell you to kiss this:

(_o_)

Bwaaaaahahahahahahahahaha
sissy

Elkins, WV

#11 Nov 18, 2012
Bud Schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess I'll just have to use a supe soaker then.
Until then, I'll tell you to kiss this:
(_o_)
Bwaaaaahahahahahahahahaha
wow your really childish, you really need to grow up, you sound like a 14 year old boy.

Location hidden

#12 Nov 18, 2012
sissy wrote:
<quoted text>
wow your really childish, you really need to grow up, you sound like a 14 year old boy.
Gee. If I grow up, do I get to smoke like you?

On secomd thought. I'll stay the way I am.

Bwaaaaahahahahahahaha
Need A Light

London, Canada

#17 Nov 20, 2012
Bud Schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee. If I grow up, do I get to smoke like you?
On secomd thought. I'll stay the way I am.
Bwaaaaahahahahahahaha
Thats a good idea 58 year old body with a 14 year old head searching for other clamhead non smokers.
Iron Shiek

Elkins, WV

#19 Nov 20, 2012
"When I go to places, even outside of restaurant doors, I've suffered through people smoking," she said. "Literally, I have to rush by and hold my breath. That's infringing on my rights. They can have their counter-claim, and they have the right to do that. But it's my air, too."

I'm not a smoker but I actually laughed when I read this. I agree with the person about car garages being just as bad or worse, car exhaust is just as bad or worse. Also agree with how will they enforce it ? Since it is only an ordinance and not a real law what will happen to ppl who break said ordinance ?

Maybe buckhannon should pass a law that everyone has to drive electric vehicles in this town or rip up the streets and make everyone get a horse like the old days.
Smokers Cologne

Winnipeg, Canada

#20 Nov 21, 2012
Iron Shiek wrote:
"When I go to places, even outside of restaurant doors, I've suffered through people smoking," she said. "Literally, I have to rush by and hold my breath. That's infringing on my rights. They can have their counter-claim, and they have the right to do that. But it's my air, too."
I'm not a smoker but I actually laughed when I read this. I agree with the person about car garages being just as bad or worse, car exhaust is just as bad or worse. Also agree with how will they enforce it ? Since it is only an ordinance and not a real law what will happen to ppl who break said ordinance ?
Maybe buckhannon should pass a law that everyone has to drive electric vehicles in this town or rip up the streets and make everyone get a horse like the old days.
The subject is cigs and their stink and the littering of butts and packaging, not about cars or garages.
whateva

Elkins, WV

#21 Nov 21, 2012
Smokers Cologne wrote:
<quoted text>The subject is cigs and their stink and the littering of butts and packaging, not about cars or garages.
No the article is not about the littering and such. She said she had to hold her breath to pass a smoker. Smokers already feel alienated from their family when they voluntarily walk away from people to smoke and even when they do that people still whine and complain. I would rather see someone smoking a cig than watching some of the women in this town chew gum. Make a mental note and go to walmart and watch how some women chew gum. Get an ordinance to control that and maybe I will support the ignorant ordinance of smoke free parks. Oh and by the way why not make it a law that people can't wear pajamas to walmart also.
People need to seriously look at all the freedoms that our government (on every level) is taking from us. Once you give up a piece of freedom you are opening the door for all freedom to be gone.
Iron Shiek

Elkins, WV

#22 Nov 21, 2012
The subject might be cigs but the fumes from garages and cars is more of an irritation to breathe around than cigs and they do alot more damage to the earth than a few ppl smoking
Tobacco Cologne

Winnipeg, Canada

#23 Nov 21, 2012
whateva wrote:
<quoted text>
No the article is not about the littering and such. She said she had to hold her breath to pass a smoker. Smokers already feel alienated from their family when they voluntarily walk away from people to smoke and even when they do that people still whine and complain. I would rather see someone smoking a cig than watching some of the women in this town chew gum. Make a mental note and go to walmart and watch how some women chew gum. Get an ordinance to control that and maybe I will support the ignorant ordinance of smoke free parks. Oh and by the way why not make it a law that people can't wear pajamas to walmart also.
People need to seriously look at all the freedoms that our government (on every level) is taking from us. Once you give up a piece of freedom you are opening the door for all freedom to be gone.
Sounds like you live in Walmart or a trailer park nearby. So I assume you see the gum chewers as you stand outside in the cold sucking down some toxic cig backwash.
toadmann

Pittsburgh, PA

#24 Nov 21, 2012
youtube.com/watch... old fart or young stinkers this is good stop smoking but however Sates are legalizing Cannabis Smoking so whats the sense now?
Say No to Hill Jacks

North Olmsted, OH

#25 Nov 23, 2012
rebel smoker wrote:
I guess when you don't give a crap about impregnating your mom's and sister's, you hill jacks think you can do whatever you want. There is a reason you your kind has the reputation you do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smoking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Bad Is Your Breath? 14 Simple Tips For Redu... (Feb '06) 33 min hopeless 605
COPD patients breathe easier with lung flute, s... 14 hr BillDuckman 2
bottles of beer with condensation 15 hr BillDuckman 2
Smokers risk losing their sight, finds new rese... 22 hr DUH I SMOKE 3
Remedies for erectile dysfuntion in young men. (Nov '10) Sun BillDuckman 39
Opinions on E Cigs?! Sun ANOTHER CON 2
How to get addicted to cigarettes? (Jun '11) Sun DUH I SMOKE 21

Smoking People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE