Elkin, 22, dies of skin cancer

Elkin, 22, dies of skin cancer

There are 14 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Oct 26, 2008, titled Elkin, 22, dies of skin cancer. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

Baldwin Park resident Marshall Elkin passed away Oct. 7, 2008 at the age of 22. Elkin was a Marine who entered the service after graduating from Baldwin Park High School in 2004.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

La Verne Resident

Upland, CA

#1 Oct 26, 2008
I never knew this young man, nor do I know his family, but I can say that he was a blessing to his family, our country and his community. I am sorry for the loss. God bless you.
Lawana H- Montana

Missoula, MT

#2 Oct 26, 2008
Marshall was my cousin and a great kid. He always had a smile on his face and was eager to please. He was a brave soldier and faced this terrible illness with courage never blaming nor asking why. While searching for this article, I was presented with numerous articles of fatal shootings throughout the southland and state. I am pleased that the SGV Tribune chose to write and share Marshall's story with others so they may be reminded that there are still good and decent God and Country loving kids.
Justice

United States

#3 Oct 26, 2008
The world needs more people like him.
DESERT RAT

Scottsdale, AZ

#4 Oct 26, 2008
'SEMPER FI' my hero and may God bless you and your family.
DESERT RAT

Scottsdale, AZ

#5 Oct 26, 2008
I agree with your post 100%. As sad as it is, it is a relief to hear something of this nature. That sounds strange but I hope people understand it. This man served his country and fought a battle with an enemy that pales with our day to day problems.
Lawana H- Montana wrote:
Marshall was my cousin and a great kid. He always had a smile on his face and was eager to please. He was a brave soldier and faced this terrible illness with courage never blaming nor asking why. While searching for this article, I was presented with numerous articles of fatal shootings throughout the southland and state. I am pleased that the SGV Tribune chose to write and share Marshall's story with others so they may be reminded that there are still good and decent God and Country loving kids.
yuffie03

United States

#6 Oct 26, 2008
The good die young.
karrie

Norwalk, CA

#7 Oct 26, 2008
we shall treasure him forever
Muaki

United States

#8 Oct 26, 2008
Marshall may you rest well, you were a great friend... watch over us until we meet again. SEMPER FI

7th sign
Glendora Runner

Decatur, GA

#9 Oct 27, 2008
May this young American, Marine Hero rest in God's Peace. I pray his family and loved ones will be comforted in the days ahead. Thank you for sharing such a fine youngman with US! We must not give up on our Military or our young people.

Semper Fi, Marshall, Godspeed, until we meet again!
cynthia elkin

Covina, CA

#10 Feb 13, 2009
MY LOVE YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND YOU WERE MY HERO. MY LIFE IS SO EMPTY WITHOUT YOU MY LOVE. NOTHING COMPARES TO YOU. GIVE ME STRENGTH TO BE STRONG FOR YOUR BROTHER. HOW I MISS YOU MY LOVE. I WAS BLESSED TO BE YOUR MOM FOR 22 YEARS. I WILL ALWAYS BE YOUR MOM.
I LOVE YOU SUNSHINE......MOMMY
Matthew Sanchez

Maple Park, IL

#11 Jun 15, 2009
Marshall you will always be in out heart. Just wish you did not have to leave us this quick. I will always remember the great times we had together from the service see you in the future bro. love you
Cindy Keith

United States

#12 Aug 8, 2009
cynthia elkin wrote:
MY LOVE YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND YOU WERE MY HERO. MY LIFE IS SO EMPTY WITHOUT YOU MY LOVE. NOTHING COMPARES TO YOU. GIVE ME STRENGTH TO BE STRONG FOR YOUR BROTHER. HOW I MISS YOU MY LOVE. I WAS BLESSED TO BE YOUR MOM FOR 22 YEARS. I WILL ALWAYS BE YOUR MOM.
I LOVE YOU SUNSHINE......MOMMY
Cindy my heart and prayers go out to you and the family .. your always in my thoughts and prayers ..
leslie jannete

United States

#13 Oct 7, 2011
I love u brother n I miss u so much till we meet again ill c u at the crossroads
Daniel Garcia BP-Whittier

Whittier, CA

#14 Jan 9, 2012
Marshall was my best friend. Its been awhile since his passing and this is probably the first time I've spoken about him outside of my family. He was the best kind of person, funny, honest, full of love. Never "to cool," to just let go act like a big kid. I remember when he first told me about the military, first the seals and then the marines. I hated it at first, only because I knew I wouldn't be able to see him as much. What can I say, he was like a brother to me. I realized after that it was a better choice. He'd be helping out, protecting us, and thats really the type of person he was. we spoke from time to time, he had his military and I started my family, a couple months before he passed, he came to visit. I could hardily tell he was ill. we had made plans to ride, sadly it never happened. His name is on my bike, in memory of him, and always showing that we'll ride one day and that he's always with me. i think about him all the time, and my family misses him so much. Crystal, if you ever read this, Im sorry for your loss. we were very lucky to have known Marshall, and just know they even when you weren't around he spoke about you, he loved you so much. Ill always miss you babyboy.-Daniel Garcia

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Skin Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A winner in GOP plans to repeal Obamacare: tann... Mar 24 Dee Dee Dee 2
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) Dec '16 Trying to be hopeful 36
News How much sunshine can your skin stand? (Aug '16) Nov '16 PaulRex 16
News Successfully treating genetically determined au... Nov '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Top natural remedies for common skin problems l... (Jun '13) Nov '16 Ria khan 13
Skin Care Nov '16 beautyfromlife 1
News Doctors fight myth about African-Americans and ... Nov '16 THX Repatriates S... 2
More from around the web