Doctors want teenagers banned from ta...

Doctors want teenagers banned from tanning salons | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 79 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 28, 2011, titled Doctors want teenagers banned from tanning salons | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The American Academy of Pediatrics wants teenagers banned from tanning salons to reduce their risk of skin cancer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
TANL8Y

Newark, OH

#63 Mar 1, 2011
While it may be true that indoor tanning for teens should be regulated, banning it could be an invitation for teens to seek out facilities that offer indoor tanning but ignore the already strict state and federal regulations, safe and clean sanitation practices, and smart tanning in moderation and according to the client's skin type.

A professional salon who is trained and certified knows how to offer a teen the safest way to get his or her tan for prom or for the upcoming springtime. Keep in mind that a tan is the body's natural barrier against skin damage from over exposure to the sun (sunburn) and it can actually be safer to be outdoors with a tan than without one.

It should also be noted here that these stories and studies that are constantly reported by the media are typically paid for by those who will make money once indoor tanning is completely banned or all the salons are out of business, like the makers of SPF lotions. Though very few reports to the contrary are ever reported, likely because it is boring to say something is safe. p.s. Just as over exposure to UV can be dangerous, over use of SPF has been found in studies to cause cancer. Oops, who forgot to report that?
TANL8Y

Newark, OH

#64 Mar 1, 2011
qwertyiws wrote:
Tanning is unhealthy, and does not make sense. Why do white people insist on being something they're not? You don't hear black people complaining about their dark skin, yet white people moan about being light complected. What's wrong with being happy with yourself no matter what your ethnicity is?
Actually, I know many people of color who tan indoors, not only because they want to darken or even out their skin tones, but because black and hispanic people can get a sunburn, too, and a tan can prevent this type of skin damage. btw, what's wrong with wanting to feel like you look good and therefore raise your self esteem? You have obviously never tanned. Why do people who are not in the know try so hard to pretend they are? The government is good at this, too.
TANL8Y

Newark, OH

#65 Mar 1, 2011
About Time wrote:
<quoted text>
Joe:
I am as Conservative as they come, but you are way off base on this one. Call your local dermatologists and ask him/her about tanning beds and skin cancer. Prepare to get an earful. These things are very dangerous, and should have been banned 20 years ago -- a position I have advocated for a very long time.
Perhaps you, too, should check with a few local dermatologists and learn a thing or two. Most likely you will hear that the UV can actually be an effective treatment for some skin disorders. You may also hear something to the tune of "everything in moderation, my friend".
CountDrac

Chicago, IL

#66 Mar 1, 2011
Dermatologists ALSO have said if there wasn't such a thing they wouldn't have much business!
& it sure is keeping them busy whether they preach on it or not.

To each IS own...
It's another ones bod let smoke/drink/plastic & TAN!
Let them worry about themselves..damn!

BTW Spring Break coming up & who wants to go as CASPER?!
I don't condone it from MY own experiences
but evvvrrything is bad for a person nowadays..
It's A sunny today & luvvin it,.& brings
Vitamin D!
CountDrac

Chicago, IL

#67 Mar 1, 2011
Oops let out surgery after plastic..shame on these keystrokes!
Mike Ledford

Charlottesville, VA

#68 Sep 19, 2011
Where are their parents? Why are they trying to make a federal case out of this?

It's bad on two levels. One, it extends government control, and I think they have enough as it is.

Two, it gives a black eye to sun bathing, which, as long as you never "burn", is positively healthful... and even helps prevent cancer! See what I mean, here... http://www.antiagingjournal.org/vitaimin-d-an...
Antagonist

Newark, OH

#69 Sep 20, 2011
Most women that tan year round end up looking like overcooked bacon by the time they are 40.
I think it looks a little ridiculous to have a dark tan in the middle of winter. Looks phony.

Anyway, if someone wants to age themselves at an accelerated level, look like a vain phony, and increase their risk of cancer, that's their problem.
The doctors and government need to quit trying to control everything and everyone.
White like me

United States

#70 Sep 20, 2011
Antagonist wrote:
Most women that tan year round end up looking like overcooked bacon by the time they are 40.
I think it looks a little ridiculous to have a dark tan in the middle of winter. Looks phony.
Anyway, if someone wants to age themselves at an accelerated level, look like a vain phony, and increase their risk of cancer, that's their problem.
The doctors and government need to quit trying to control everything and everyone.
If people want to be stupid enough to do something that may cause cancer, let them. I agree with your comments about the vanity and phoniness
GlitterSucks

Columbus, OH

#71 Sep 20, 2011
Antagonist wrote:
I get away to the tropics every January or February at a time when I have had it with winter. I tan easily and after a week or so poolside will come back dark. Are you saying I should sit in my hotel room?
James

Columbus, OH

#72 Sep 20, 2011
I think teens should be allowed to tan if they want without taxes...

As long as they're willing to pay out of pocket for the skin cancer treatment they will eventually need. And if they don't want to pay for skin cancer treatment, then they should just die and not cost the taxpayer.
Antagonist

Newark, OH

#73 Sep 21, 2011
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>I get away to the tropics every January or February at a time when I have had it with winter. I tan easily and after a week or so poolside will come back dark. Are you saying I should sit in my hotel room?
Nope, your tan won't be or look phony, and it will mostly go away before spring.
A natural tan from being in the sun doesn't cover every square inch of your body evenly.
People can tell the difference, besides, anyone that knows you will know where you have been.
GlitterSucks

Columbus, OH

#74 Sep 22, 2011
Antagonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, your tan won't be or look phony, and it will mostly go away before spring.
A natural tan from being in the sun doesn't cover every square inch of your body evenly.
People can tell the difference, besides, anyone that knows you will know where you have been.
I knew the intent of your post, just giving you a hard time. Leaving this weekend for Mexico to get my "fake" tan, keep everyone in check on topix for me.
Antagonist

Newark, OH

#75 Sep 22, 2011
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>I knew the intent of your post, just giving you a hard time. Leaving this weekend for Mexico to get my "fake" tan, keep everyone in check on topix for me.
Be sure to roll over once in a while.
Keep away from the bad guys down there.
GlitterSucks

Columbus, OH

#76 Sep 22, 2011
Antagonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Be sure to roll over once in a while.
Keep away from the bad guys down there.
I will do so on both.
Spooktackular

Pittsburgh, PA

#77 Sep 22, 2011
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>I will do so on both.
Have fun. Take plenty of Imodium AD let me know if there are anyplaces selling high power lasers for nail fungus killing.
GlitterSucks

Columbus, OH

#78 Oct 3, 2011
Spooktackular wrote:
<quoted text>
Have fun. Take plenty of Imodium AD let me know if there are anyplaces selling high power lasers for nail fungus killing.
Had a blast! Drank enough beer that I think I need to place myself on a liver transplant list. Hot enough that the sun alone would take care of your nail fungus :) This weather SUCKS!
Antagonist

Newark, OH

#79 Oct 4, 2011
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Had a blast! Drank enough beer that I think I need to place myself on a liver transplant list. Hot enough that the sun alone would take care of your nail fungus :) This weather SUCKS!
Welcome back - It's been beuatiful just like it is right now since you left.
You didn't miss anthing here.
GlitterSucks

Columbus, OH

#80 Oct 4, 2011
Antagonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome back - It's been beuatiful just like it is right now since you left.
You didn't miss anthing here.
Thanks for the welcome back. Rest assured, I do not look like I have a phony tan. Already peeling like a shedding snake. Anything good threads that I should be following/catching up on?
Antagonist

Newark, OH

#81 Oct 4, 2011
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for the welcome back. Rest assured, I do not look like I have a phony tan. Already peeling like a shedding snake. Anything good threads that I should be following/catching up on?
I've been gone for three days myself and just got through going through my replies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Skin Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A winner in GOP plans to repeal Obamacare: tann... Fri Dee Dee Dee 2
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) Dec '16 Trying to be hopeful 36
News How much sunshine can your skin stand? (Aug '16) Nov '16 PaulRex 16
News Successfully treating genetically determined au... Nov '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Top natural remedies for common skin problems l... (Jun '13) Nov '16 Ria khan 13
Skin Care Nov '16 beautyfromlife 1
News Doctors fight myth about African-Americans and ... Nov '16 THX Repatriates S... 2
More from around the web