Doctors want teenagers banned from ta...

Doctors want teenagers banned from tanning salons | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 79 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 28, 2011, titled Doctors want teenagers banned from tanning salons | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The American Academy of Pediatrics wants teenagers banned from tanning salons to reduce their risk of skin cancer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Bob

Roswell, GA

#1 Feb 28, 2011
Sorry doc, we need the tanning tax money for Obamacare.
vern

Dublin, OH

#2 Feb 28, 2011
Get out of our lives!!! Between the Nanny Government and the rest of the do-gooders we are suffocating in America.
Mark

Columbus, OH

#3 Feb 28, 2011
Mixed feelings on this one, shouldn't the parents tell them to knock it off, fake and real tans are pretty easy to tell apart.

One the other hand, the damage done lasts a lifetime and melenoma is one nasty disease.
qwertyiws

Marysville, OH

#4 Feb 28, 2011
Tanning is unhealthy, and does not make sense. Why do white people insist on being something they're not? You don't hear black people complaining about their dark skin, yet white people moan about being light complected. What's wrong with being happy with yourself no matter what your ethnicity is?
HAHA

Orient, OH

#5 Feb 28, 2011
Maybe the surgeon general should be as aggressive about putting health warnings on tanning beds as they are cigarettes.
my 2 cents

Tiffin, OH

#6 Feb 28, 2011
good public health idea.
Balls Deep

Columbus, OH

#7 Feb 28, 2011
I can understand requiring new warning labels and possibly that parents must accompany and sign a waiver but banning teens from tanning is regulation gone too far. Whatever happened to freedom in American?
Black lion

United States

#8 Feb 28, 2011
Why don't the dr's raise their own children and mind their own business?
Do Tell

Columbus, OH

#9 Feb 28, 2011
qwertyiws wrote:
Tanning is unhealthy, and does not make sense. Why do white people insist on being something they're not? You don't hear black people complaining about their dark skin, yet white people moan about being light complected. What's wrong with being happy with yourself no matter what your ethnicity is?
What about micheal jackson?
xen

Columbus, OH

#10 Feb 28, 2011
qwertyiws wrote:
1) why do you care?
2) it's none of your business
hospitals kill more

Columbus, OH

#11 Feb 28, 2011
Nearly 90,000 people die every year due to staph infections acquired from hospitals. People who live in glass houses...

http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-06-25/bay-are...
Tanorexian

Columbus, OH

#13 Feb 28, 2011
See, here we go again with these "so-called" experts telling us what to do. Like these doctors are some sort of "health professional" that knows better than me.

The next thing will be some "nutritionist" telling me what foods are good for me.

Remember- "It is better to look good, than to feel good." - Billy Crystal as Fernando Lamas
AnAmerican

Columbus, OH

#14 Feb 28, 2011
Tanning is a status symbol for spoiled teenagers. Now how will they be able to flaunt their wealth? Oh, that right. New cars. Horses. Hair dos. Fingernalis. Clothes, Jewlery. Electronic gadgets.

Since: Jul 10

Columbus, OH

#15 Feb 28, 2011
I quit using the tanning parlors when they banned smoking.
MalikZuluShabazz

Columbus, OH

#16 Feb 28, 2011
Something needs to be done. I can't believe that idiot parents actually pay and go with their teenagers to these things. In 20 years, your kid can always say, "hey Mom, thanks for the cancer". PArents QUIT being a friend to you kid and be a f'in PARENT. You know, the one's that say NO!
Bob

Roswell, GA

#17 Feb 28, 2011
qwertyiws wrote:
Tell that to Michael Jackson.
Big K

Columbus, OH

#18 Feb 28, 2011
I can see possibly making use of them for those 18 and over if they choose. But their should be NO tax on them. If it is legal it is none of Obama's damned business.

I personally hope they all change to Magazine reading salons that charge you the tanning rate to read magazines while enjoying the tanning beds for free if you CHOSE. Hence NO tanning tax collected. Obama told to go **** Yourself

Screw the government idiots and that racist tanning tax. How about taxing extra,..Jerri Curl? Malt Liquors, Rap music ? spinning tire rims?
Mel

Lancaster, OH

#19 Feb 28, 2011
Great, parents whining about being told what to do as a parent and then when kiddo gets skin cancer, it won't be the parents fault. NOPE. It's the tanning salons fault so sue away.

It seems that parents only want half the responsibility then when something happens it isn't their fault it is someone elses.
mark

United States

#20 Feb 28, 2011
if young girls want to get a head start on starting to look like an old bag then let them
DoYaThink

Columbus, OH

#21 Feb 28, 2011
I dont' think banning teens from tanning is a good idea, but I do agree that parental consent should be required.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Skin Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hair loss for women (May '08) Aug 12 RudolphMCasey 7
News Kerry Washington urges African-Americans to pro... Jul '15 Tina 7
News PharmaPoint: Melanoma - Global Drug Forecast an... Jul '15 SunFriend 1
News Hale encourages to 'live like you were dying' Jul '15 hateher 1
News 3Qs: Jeff Houin, Tupelo dermatologist Jun '15 Fourth question 3
News Researchers use altered herpes virus to fight s... Jun '15 Dean 1
News Jennifer Aniston's beauty secrets: Yoga, low-ca... Jun '15 Noushin 1
More from around the web