Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2007

Hello everyone.

I realize this question may come up a lot, so I apologize in advance.

My cousin who is healthy and showed no signs of being ill, developed a rash over the weekend.

He went to the doctor yesterday and was told he has shingles.

He is very scared, saying that because he's 26 years old, and has shingles, that must mean he has HIV.

He has been with his girlfriend for 8 years, and two other girls before that.

He's worried that maybe one of the other girls in his past from 1998 or so, may have had HIV, so that's why now he's getting shingles.

Because he's so young and has shingles, he automactically thinks this must mean he has HIV.

Can anyone shed some light on this or explain in detail is young people with Shingles should worry about having HIV?

Thanks for all your help.

Scared in Florida.
scared

Cranford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

I have the same concern about my boyfriend. 2 days ago, my boyfriend, who's only 24 years old, developed shingles, and though a family friend of his who is an emergency doctor took a look at it, I'm reding everywhere on the internet that shingles occurs mostly in people over 50, and younger people who's immune systems are weak (e.g. HIV/certain types of cancers)- any idea how likely it is to be related to HIV, rather than just a result of stress/other infections?

I had a cold for the past week, and my bf thinks that while he didnt catch my cold, being exposed to it may have weakened his immune system, and contributed to him having a shingles outbreak.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
shingles

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

I don't know if this helps at all, but I'm only 22 and I have shingles and I do NOT have HIV or any other illness (cancer, etc.). I do, however, have a history of sensitive skin and allergies (I get hives pretty often) and tend to stress myself out pretty easily. Even though its somewhat rare to find shingles in younger people that are otherwise perfectly healthy, its not unheard of.
Mike

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

I am 32 and im having my second bout of shingles. The first was when I was 21. I was routinely tested for hiv last month..negative. More young people than you would think get shingles. However my rash is very limited and no other symptoms.
Freaking out

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

I just got diagnosed last night. I am 29. I'm not sure what to think a this point. I have had psoriasis for years in my ear. The Doc told me that's what I got it from. Oh because its close to my shoulder. So basically I pulled an infection cuz I didn't take care of my ear properly.
Jenna

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Hello, this is pretty old, so before I ask my question, are any of you newly diagnosed w/ Shingles, still coming here?
Skb15

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2012

Judged:

I got shingles when I was 15 years old. No it doesn't not mean you have HIv! Get tested! Shingles is highly contagious and airborne. I more than likely got it from an elderly person I interacted with, because y immune system was weak an I was under extreme stress.
Ginger

Highland, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

Judged:

Listen up skb15, shingles is not air borne, nor is it contracted from shingles. You get shingles after chicken pox, and if someone touches your rash, they will get chicken pox (if they haven't had it yet, or dont get the vaccine). And no just because you have shingles doesn't mean you have HIV or cancer, but if you do have HIV or cancer you can get shingles more easily. Understand?? I was diagnosed with shingles when I was 12. It wasnt a bad case (lucky for me) but I do recall someone stupidly slapping my rash (it was on my back, mid-upper right side) and me collapsing to a curled up bundle of tears
zgem

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

@Skb15 Shingles isn't airborne? Have you heard of the internet? It also has facts in it, despite how hard people like you try to fill it with nonsense.
Cder

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2012

@zgem, no it is not airborne . You do not "catch shingles" from someone even if you rub yourself all over their affected area .
Clawhammer

Apalachin, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

I developed a small, quarter-sized shingles rash on my abdomen 7 days after an unprotected sexual encounter in Chicago, probably as a result of severe anxiety. Further, as penance for my infidelity I began taking freezing cold showers, which may have weakened my immune system, allowing the dormant shingles virus (which was always in me, due to chicken pox) to flare up.

I am HIV negative 6 and a half months after my encounter, and my nurse told me this means that essentially I am HIV free, with 99.9% certainty.

Don't be too stressed about the shingles. Most HIV positive patients develop shingles AFTER they begin taking anti-viral medications, shingles are a side effect of "immune system reconstitution" or whatever the technical
jargon is.

Also, find God and do penance, and you will be fine. If you see the number 33 (on a bar code, license plate, etc) then you are on the right track. If you start seeing 66's, then say the following prayer a few times a day.
- The prayer of the Sacred Heart of Jesus:
O most holy heart of Jesus, fountain of every blessing, I adore you, I love you, and with lively sorrow for my sins I offer you this poor heart of mine. Make me humble, patient, pure and wholly obedient to your will. Grant, Good Jesus, that I may live in you and for you. Protect me in the midst of danger. Comfort me in my afflictions. Give me health of body, assistance in my temporal needs, your blessing on all that I do, and the grace of a holy death. Amen.

I will pray for you, but I'm sure you are fine.
justice

Swanage, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

clawhammer who told you the number 33 is a holy number ..the number 33 is a satanic number ocultists love the number 3 ..you full of shit just because someone prays doesnt meen they will be saved not unless they meen the words and live the life and do gods will ....
CDowdy1013

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

I will be 23 in a couple of weeks and I was just diagnosed today with shingles. It is contagious, however it is NOT airborne. I actually have it on my scalp, not in the normal spots. ie: Back, stomach, chest. It is very itchy and very painful. It is basically on the right side of my scalp/face. My eye, eyebrow, forehead, everything on my right side is itching and sore. I'm taking medicine to make it go away. It's not really that uncommon and you don't have HIV. The Dr. said that it is caused by extreme stress. I can see that in my life. Hope this helps!
pat

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

I got my first outbreak when I was 19 im now 24, thought my appendix was goin out, hurt so bad but it was shingle, im scared as well thing of being positive with hiv, year ago I had a carotid body tumor removed from my neck, cancer, hiv, who knows... shingles suck. but I put my faith in lord jesus Christ.
B luthuli

Wynberg, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

I'm Bonga, I have shingles and I tested negative. I really scared
daniel garcia

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2013

I got shingles when I was 21 and I got tested last year in april and tested negative and I also got tested 3 weeks ago and came back negative after I had a fever and a sore throat. Shingles is caused by stress and thinking it is an std and hiv and other stress factors in your life. If you think you have hiv the only way to know is to get tested.
hope sibanda

Europe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

thnkx fo helpin i wz so scared...........
sue

Spring Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

you get shingles if you had the chicken pox when u were younger it is not contagious u cant get it from touching someone elses shingles it in no way has to do with aids its just a bad hurtful blistering rash ur immune system may have been low so try to eat healthy everyday
alaya

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2013

Im 25 & I got shingles today...im scared cuz my doctor told me to get hiv tested
lynn

Little Falls, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2013

i am getting over optical shingles. it was a three week bout with five different eye drops and to different pills that had to be taken two and three times a day. shingles are not contagious. they only way they can spread is when the person is in a room with someone who never had chickenpox. I had stayed with my 10 year old nephew as he's been vaccinated for chickenpox, no one caught anything. In my case shingles came from being overstressed. I had gone to the hospital and they decided I was allergic to the eyedrops and got the rash from that. I saw an opthamologist the next day and he diagnosed immediately and treatment started he same day immediately. It affected my eye, inside and out, my scalp, gland and ear on right side only. I am now going on the fourth week and the scabs have finally come off. Just follow all instructions, and stay away from the wet heat treatments, use cool water.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Shingles Forum right now

Search the Shingles Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Shingles = heating pad - try it ! (Dec '08) Tue Sandy 45
Shingles on two sides? (May '07) Jul 20 ALK 173
recurring shingles (Feb '09) Jul 19 MAB 810
intestinal pain and nauseau (Jan '09) Jul 19 Maryann Green in Michigan 36
Shingles recovery (Jul '07) Jul 15 Mark 341
Shingles....repeat shingles....phn....numbness.... Jul 14 Joanne 9
Shingles in the neck Jul 13 raloc 2
•••
•••