Shingles recovery
mark

Stockton, CA

#164 Jun 9, 2012
I turned 50 two months ago and have not rested since then. Music festivals, work, and outgoing to much caught up to me. Now I'm forced to rest... I've like most you have pain, tiredness, headache, and the rash on one side of my lower back, ribs, and abdomen. I'm one week into this and I've been on Valtrex for four days. Some relief, but it's ongoing pain and general blah. I haven't had the shivers or any other symptoms thank goodness. Seem strange to be healthy one week then the next out with shingles, boo.
Bek

Australia

#165 Jun 12, 2012
I have a 18th month old who has had shingles for the first time he never had chicken pox they sent me up to emergency to figure out what is was i waited 3hrs with no conclusion n nothin to help my poor Lil boy ended up takin him to a peadrician who finally confirmed it as shingles n has said it's to late to give him treatment need help on how to make him ease the pain
Levon Stokes

Owensboro, KY

#166 Jun 13, 2012
I am 68 going on a month of shingles on my temple, cheek bone, lower eye lid, down side of my face beside my nose, and upper lip. The blisters are gone. I was on Valtrex, methylpresalone pack, and augmintin for sinus infection. My face is blotchy and I still have terrible burning, soreness, and feels like bugs crawling inside my face. I also had shingles in my mouth, on my gums. I have been put on neurontin, but I keep getting episodes of burning, and crawling sensations, and they often wake me up at night. I am taking Altyrel for sleep which is over the counter. I am wondering if adding St. John's Wort and L-Lysine or Echina would help?
cire

Dublin, Ireland

#167 Jun 13, 2012
Anyone have experience of taking "Cymbalta" for shingles. Does it work?
Anonymous

United States

#168 Jun 13, 2012
Cire--when I first had shingles pain continuing after first 7 days in Aug 2010, they tried Cymbalta and Lyrica both of which had no effect--finally on day #49 (remember it well) they gave me neurontin (gabapentin) and Pamelor (noratripalene?) and pain went away for 5-6 hrs until next dose--also could not stand wind on my neck so got Lidoderm patches which stick to area and wore them 24/7 for 3 months until able to go without--now in 22 month using 300 mgs gabapentin 3 times a day and Ambien 10 mgs to sleep with--getting 8 hrs and functioning relatively normally--go back and read my posts on this blog as HHH or Triple H from New Jersey and Florida (I live both places)--Hank
Anonymous

United States

#169 Jun 13, 2012
I'm traveling in Western USA right now--Hank/hhh3/tripleh/hhhjr
Barb S

San Antonio, TX

#170 Jun 13, 2012
Gayle wrote:
<quoted text>
Friday will be 6 weeks of shingles for me on my back, chest and breast. I still have the rash, and the burning, itching and pain. Noting has worked for me at all. I have tried the anti viral and have been on it for over a month, I have tried natural and nothing is working, so I am going to buy the vest and see if it works! Good luck to you
i am a 62 yr. old woman, and had my first attack last January. I went to the Dr. after a week thinking I had gotten chiggers. So I took the Anti-viral, but not the heavy duty pain meds because I had to work from home, and need my wits intact. I used good old Gold Bond powder on my rash (waist area) and slept at night with Nyquil. I know that's an odd combination. Lucky for me it wasn't in my eyes or mouth.
karen

Edmonton, Canada

#171 Jun 24, 2012
when does rash go away with shingles and when should i return to work
Anand

Chennai, India

#172 Jun 25, 2012
im 24 year old, how should i know that shingles are recovering?
cire

Dublin, Ireland

#173 Jun 25, 2012
Does anyone know if Acupuncture can be used to treat PHN as a result of shingles. After 3/4 months I need to consider other possibilities.
Jules

Belleville, WI

#174 Jun 25, 2012
cire wrote:
Does anyone know if Acupuncture can be used to treat PHN as a result of shingles. After 3/4 months I need to consider other possibilities.
I had a severe case of shingles in August 2011. After the rash went away, I was left with horrible PHN. I tried many medications that left me in a fog. A couple of months ago in desperation I tried acupuncture. I had immediate relief after the first treatment. After several days, the pain started coming back, but not as severe. Each treatment since has brought relief that lasts longer and longer. I have had a total of 7 treatments. I had a treatment 13 days ago and I'm still pain-free. I have not taken any pain medication in a month The numbness and tingling is still there, but I can live with that . My acupuncturist said that usually 6-10 treatments will give long lasting relief.

I found a non-profit clinic that offers acupuncture treatments. The fee is income-based and very affordable since my insurance does not cover acupuncture therapy.

I hope this information helps and you find relief soon.
evelyn wilson

Silver Spring, MD

#175 Jul 11, 2012
has anybody had blisters that turn dark purple on the inside
Mary

United States

#176 Jul 22, 2012
I am 76 years old, first time I have had shingles. Had blisters near my sacrum and behind my left knee. The rash went from my left calf inside my left leg up into my groin. The pain is unbearable, it keeps me awake. The left front of my
left leg is numb from the knee to the upper thigh, is where the severe pain is centered. I am in my 5th week.
Katie

Sterling Heights, MI

#177 Aug 1, 2012
I'm 22 years old and I was diagnosed with shingles on Monday (I started to feel symptoms around the previous Thursday or Friday). The rash is on the right side of my neck, my right ear, and up the right side of my scalp. I originally thought I had pulled a muscle in my neck from work, so I went to the workman's comp doctor who informed me that I had shingles and it was not work-related. He prescribed me Acyclovir (Zovirax), and told me I should do any follow ups with my own doctor. I've found that, despite taking the medication and applying a cold sportpack to the area regularly, I'm still in a lot of pain. Should I go to my regular doctor to seek pain medication, or is this all they can do for me?
Anonymous

Jefferson, ME

#178 Aug 2, 2012
Katie--please go back and read my posts to this blog since Aug 2010 when I got shingles in exact same place--still have PHN but as you can follow it is controlled--I didn't get relief from the pain til day #49 when my GP sent me to a neurologist--Gabapentin and Pamelor gave me instant relief--get your GP to send you to a neurologist--these drugs are known by them to relieve shingles pain "off-label"--I live in Short Hills--traveling now again--
ruuss

Houston, TX

#179 Aug 6, 2012
i was diagnosed with shingles and since this was the second time in 4 years same area that ive had them this time seems worse. they are located from under armpit around front under nipple n around to mid back. the doctor put me on 4 capsules Acyclovir 5 times a day and 2 gabapentin 300mg twice day. thats twenty two pills for the shingles treatment excluding pain med HIV meds totallying it up to 28 pill a day. noand its been 7 days ans i have not seem much improvement . i cry everyday cuz im alone with this illnesss and sometimes dont know what to do . unfortunatey i had 3 job interviews set up last weekwhich had to cancalled due to all of tthis . sometimes i wonder is this all worth haveing to go thru thses things
:( please help i welcome any advice or wrds of encouragement. R.Praker
Piper

Douglas, AZ

#180 Aug 6, 2012
Ruus, hang in there, having shingles is a rough business and you are very sick. I'm sorry you missed your interviews but you must find a way to get stress out of your life. If you do an internet search you will find some guided meditation and relaxation techniques to use to acomplish this, you have to stop the negative talking insde your head and trust that something a lot bigger than yourself has control and just let go. You mentioned HIV, do you have it? In any case your immune system has been compromised and your job right now is take care of yourself and seek more treatment if you need it. Please do look up some guided meditations on the internet, you could Google Jon Kabat-Zin and I think he has a meditation on his website and will talk you through it. You will find strengh there. Take care ruuss.
Piper
Josie45

United States

#181 Aug 7, 2012
I just noticed I got shingles 7 days ago and now drying up all over my back into the front of my chest it's very scary. It still stings and burns a lot but I have medicine to take care of that. I'm dealing with the pain more than anything else there are no flare up at night seems like I'm almost out of the woods but it seems like a long process for me. We can all get through this just do not stress yourself out I'm trying to relax my family is cooking and cleaning this summer for me.
Lewis

Hermitage, TN

#182 Aug 11, 2012
I'm recovering from my first experience with shingles. It started on my right hand and moved up my arm. As soon as the blisters appeared I sought treatment and started valued and Rx for the itch. As I am in recovery, pain meds aren't an option at this point. The stress in my life right now is insane. I took a week of from work but now I'm back at a leadership roll ina high stress job, while dealing with some issues in our new home, and at the same time planning our wedding. not too many people understand this disease, so everyone wants me to get better by tomorrow. The headaches are severe, I'm having trouble finding my words at times, coordination is a little off, and a cough has started in the last couple days. Thus sucks and I feel awful. But one foot in front of the other as they say. Good luck and prayers for a quick recovery to all who are chipping with this.
Jules

New Glarus, WI

#183 Aug 11, 2012
Lewis wrote:
I'm recovering from my first experience with shingles. It started on my right hand and moved up my arm. As soon as the blisters appeared I sought treatment and started valued and Rx for the itch. As I am in recovery, pain meds aren't an option at this point. The stress in my life right now is insane. I took a week of from work but now I'm back at a leadership roll ina high stress job, while dealing with some issues in our new home, and at the same time planning our wedding. not too many people understand this disease, so everyone wants me to get better by tomorrow. The headaches are severe, I'm having trouble finding my words at times, coordination is a little off, and a cough has started in the last couple days. Thus sucks and I feel awful. But one foot in front of the other as they say. Good luck and prayers for a quick recovery to all who are chipping with this.
Lewis--Next week will mark my 1 year anniversary with shingles. At it's worst, my symptoms were very similar to yours. I was able to take pain meds but all they did was knock me out. During my worst symptoms we were in the middle of a major "do it yourself" home remodel. Between my brain fog and stumbling over everything, it made for a really stressful adventure! After 9 months of misery, I tried acupuncture. I wasn't a real believer but figured I had nothing to lose by trying. It has brought my pain level down to a point that I only need Advil periodically instead of heavy prescription pain meds. My life is not back to normal, but I feel that acupuncture has brought me back among the living and that feels so good. I still have episodes where I get a headache and my whole body just aches, but they are not as frequent and only last a couple days. During those times, I try to take good care of myself and accept the fact that I just can't be there for everyone else all the time.

I agree with your statement that no one understands this disease and want you better tomorrow. My friends and family constantly ask if my shingles are all done. How do I get them to understand that this may be with me forever?! Maybe I should tell them to read this forum to find out what people go through with this.

Please take care of yourself. I wish you the best!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shingles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Numbness from shingle Aug 29 ubicorpus 4
intestinal pain and nauseau (Jan '09) Aug 26 Jay 58
Shingles with abdominal swelling (Dec '12) Aug 24 Kathy 144
Bumps still present after pain and scabs recede (Jun '12) Aug 22 Vad_1961 12
Shingles on two sides? (May '07) Aug '17 Diane 211
Elderberry Juice Cured Shingles Jul '17 charlietae 2
Shingles Vaccine / Zoster vaccine / Zostavax Jul '17 llb317 1
More from around the web