Sally

Needham, MA

#104 Oct 4, 2011
Hhh3 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pauline & Sally----have you seen a neurologist?--a GP cannot administer the drug I take-neurontin--cuz of possible side effects--go back and read my comments in this thread--
Thanks, Hhh3. My pain has diminished and I'm mostly dealing with fatigue. I still get tired very easily. Trying to build my strength up gradually with walking and yoga. Resting as needed. It's a balancing act but feeling better. I do find that achiness returns during wet cool weather (like arthritis!).
Sally

Needham, MA

#105 Oct 4, 2011
samantha olsen wrote:
I am 21 years old with shingles I am coughing up blood and have a high fever cant sleep and am freezing in my warm house.
Samantha, hope you are feeling better and that you have seen a doctor. Coughing blood up can be serious. I got chilled very easily in the first few weeks, but most important---you must start taking an anti-virile drug as soon as possible. I took Valtrex for 10 days. If not treated properly, one can get very sick with this. be careful with strong pain-killers as they can make you loopy!I took Motrin consistently for several weeks for pain. Good luck!
Cat UK

Llanfairfechan, UK

#106 Nov 15, 2011
Stella wrote:
Does anyone know whether Shingles can interfere with your menstrual cycle?
I think it s the medication that interfere with your cycle more than the shingles itself. I had shingles Dec 2010 and after 3 recurrent corneal lesions over the last 11 months I am still on Acilovir twice a day. My cycle as slipped month after month about 7 days at a time! I am hoping that all will return to normal once I can finally get off this medication. I hope that helps.
Linda from FLorida

Gainesville, FL

#107 Nov 18, 2011
Cynthia wrote:
I am a 40 year old woman and I just finished my 10 DAY Valtrex medication for shingles and I still have the rash. Just want to know if anyone knows when the rash will go away??? Should it be gone after 10 days of Valtrex or does it take time after the medication is finished because I still have the rash. ANYONE HELP PLEASE... I need to know how long the recovery will take or if I need more medication.
Hi Cynthia,

I don't know the answer to when your rash will go away but I will share with you what has worked for me. I am 49 years old and it is my 8th day after the rash appeared. After much reading on the subject my husband talked me in to trying tea tree oil directly on the rash. Doing this 3 to 4 times a day my rash has been disappearing and I got no blisters. Today the rash is almost gone. Tea tree can be purchased at the drug store or any place that carries herbal stuff. It has helped tremendously on the itching too. Have had very little of that. Still have the nerve pain but getting rid of the rash has been a major blessing to me.
Denise Franks

Shreveport, LA

#108 Nov 22, 2011
I went to the Dr. the first of August this year with a burning pain on my right side kinda along a bra line. She said that even though I didn't have a rash, that the symptons sounded like shingles. She gave me an anti-viral med and the symptoms went away after two days. I thought I was walking on easy street, BUT about two weeks later I started itching on my back in a spot about an inch long. When I scratched it, it burst open. I knew it was shingles because it didn't want to dry up like maybe a pimple or something would do. I didn't have much pain so I thought okay, I'm doing really well with this. WRONG!!!!! After the rash cleared up, I was sitting at work and all of a sudden I got deathly nauseated. I felt like someone was stabbing me in the back and that it was going all the way through to my chest. My arms and hands started tingling and I was rushed to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack.It was the shingles. The Dr. said that shingles can actually jump from one nerve to another and mimic a heart attack. I got past that spell but I still have spells with my hip or my leg or my foot or my shoulder or arm. I am seeing a Dr. again tomorrow because I have a burning pain in my right side and I have bad diarrhea. I thought it can't be the shingles but I have done a lot of research and the nerve damage after shingles can be associated with IBS, etc. After all, the nerves from your spine do run to important organs like lungs, liver, intestines, etc. I hope that is all that is happening to me now and that it is not something more serious.
Shingles are very serious. Unless you have had them or know someone who has, you don't realize the pain and complications. Please don't just assume that something is shingle related. If you're not sure, see a Dr. Other points: It is rare, but not impossible to have shingles on both sides of body. Shingles can come back again. Some people have shingles or shingle complications for years. Hopefully all of us on this forum will soon be over this disease. God bless you all.
Jimi

Blacklick, OH

#109 Nov 27, 2011
I've had shingles for almost 2weeks. Doctor prescribed valacyclovir. I've also used low frequency laser treatments two times a day. This prevent the postules from forming on the other eruptions. most area are now recessed also taking 3 substances given by my alternative doctor. still have bearable pain and some affect to the ascending colon. I would strongly advise the laser treatments. without them I can't imagine the pain. thanks for others comments.
Anonymous

Fort Myers, FL

#110 Nov 27, 2011
Denise--you need to see a neuralogist not a GP or internal med doc--please read all my posts for past 16 months that I've had PHN--post herpetic neuralgia--which is follow on from shingles--I'm much better but fighting getting depressed--make self be optimistic each day so I can continue on a full life--
Hank
kevin

Belfast, UK

#111 Nov 28, 2011
I have recently managed to kick a shingles attack within a week and a half using a combination of Lugols iodine(8 drops morning and night in water)tastes horrid,also dabbed on spots too, DMSO/h202 topically applied to spinal area, colloidal silver orally and Oregano oil/almond oil rubbed on rash and yes it really was shingles with the typical signs being on one side of my chest/back area and very very tender to touch where the rash was and localised stabbing pains under my shoulder blade..It can be beaten folks all the very best.
Barbara

Kerrville, TX

#112 Dec 26, 2011
Need information. I am 59 and came down with Shingles the week before Thanksgiving. I'm now going on my 7th week of pain. When does the pain every stop? The area of pain is the left side of my face and scalp. It also is in my mouth on the left side and went into my ear. So all of you know the pain that I'm going through. I can't eat so I'm on a liquid diet. My friends and doctor are telling me not to lose any more weight. Now how can I do that when I'm in so much pain. The doctor has me on Lyrica but that doesn't seem to work. I don't abuse drugs and do not like to take them.
Does anyone know how much longer I will be in pain.
Thanks
Anonymous

East Orange, NJ

#113 Dec 26, 2011
Barbara--please read all of my posts from Aug 2010 on--Ihave had the residual of shingles since July 25, 2010--I had intense pain in right side of head and neck and ear for 7 weeks until my GP sent me to a neuralogist who put me on neurontin and pamelor--the pain stopped overnite as long as I take my drugs---we tried Lyrica and Cymbalta and neither had any affect--read my story and get to a neuralogist--
Hank
Anonymous

East Orange, NJ

#114 Dec 26, 2011
Hi Barbara--sorry to confuse you--my ID was TripleH in Aug'10 on this forum--now I'm hhh3-I was awake most of time and spending many hrs searching web for any help I could get--my city keeps changing cuz we live in NJ and Fla.--I'm 17 months into this and some of it has gone away completely--all of pain goes away each 6-8 hrs as long as I take my drugs 3 times a day--

Hank
Tracey Evesham Uk

Gloucester, UK

#115 Jan 2, 2012
I am in the 3rd week of having shingles. I too was in alot of pain with it. Had the rash on my left side just under my waste.The spots were very itchy to start with. Usually sleep on my left side or my stomache and the pain was too bad to do this so lots of sleepless nights.I too have been feeling cold but didn't realise till reading these comments that others are feeling the cold too since having shingles.I am usually very hot blooded but have felt the cold alot in the last week.I have been left with a lovely purple mark where the shingles were. Hope to feel better and be back at work this week. Tracey.
Tracey Evesham Uk

Gloucester, UK

#116 Jan 2, 2012
Barbara wrote:
Need information. I am 59 and came down with Shingles the week before Thanksgiving. I'm now going on my 7th week of pain. When does the pain every stop? The area of pain is the left side of my face and scalp. It also is in my mouth on the left side and went into my ear. So all of you know the pain that I'm going through. I can't eat so I'm on a liquid diet. My friends and doctor are telling me not to lose any more weight. Now how can I do that when I'm in so much pain. The doctor has me on Lyrica but that doesn't seem to work. I don't abuse drugs and do not like to take them.
Does anyone know how much longer I will be in pain.
Thanks
Poor you Barbara, i was in pain with shingles but my pain must have been nothing compared to what you are going through. I hope you feel better soon and the pain subsides. Take care xx
barb in san antonio

San Antonio, TX

#117 Jan 9, 2012
I am 62 and just came down with shingles. I thought I had caught chiggers over the holidays in Louisiana, but they aren't common in winter. Same symptoms with small, itchy bumps under waist-band area on the right side. And it felt like I had pulled a muscle in my right waist too. But I had been doing new stretching exercises. So I still thought it was chiggers. After 4 days of irritation from wearing spanx, one large red patch that was itchy and painful at the same time appeared. So on day 7 I finally went to my GP and was told shingles. She put me on antiviral (Acyclovir) and Gabapentin for the pain. I am a loan officer who can work from home, but I need all my wits about me, and am very concerned about the side-effects for the gabapentin. I am interested in your experiences with this med. I'm going to try Benadryl for sleep tonight, but must take the antiviral every 4 hours. It is so helpful to find this discussion board! My Dr. said I should consider the shot after it subsides, and I only now found out I could have taken it before this all started. I already told my friends to do it.
Anonymous

Fort Myers, FL

#118 Jan 11, 2012
Hi Barb--as you can see above I am in 18th month but relatively pain-free if I take my drugs--I am trying to go from 900 (3x 300) mgs of gabapentin a day to 800 to 700 to 600 mgs via a plan of 2 weeks at each stage--am into 800 and still can stand it so will soon move down to 700 a day--my neurologist says no problem with side effects from long use at rates below 1200mgs a day---he also says as soon as I get better, and I am getting better slowly but surely, I will get the shot--the side effects of gabapentin are constipation and urine retention which you have to work on separately--as far as sleep, ask your GP for Ambien 10 or 12.5 so you can get 8 hrs of sleep--I've been taking Ambien-10 since week 10--hope this helps-Hank
Brian Watkins

Australia

#119 Jan 14, 2012
Thank heavens to the lady who said, quote : hey, when you are suffering the horror of shingles pain, you snatch at anything that has even a promise of relieving the pain.
"I can say it has been some of the worst pain I have ever had, and I have had seven major surgeries. I had dry socket from a tooth removal and had just gotten over it just before this hit, and it and childbirth were comparable as to the level of pain. I had my children in the days when you just had to suffer, because the doctors did not believe in giving narcotic relief during childbirth, or spinals, or any of the wonderful things that are now given to women in childbirth" .
barb in san antonio

San Antonio, TX

#120 Jan 14, 2012
So far I think I have been lucky. It's been almost 2 weeks, and the rash is almost dried up. It took me a week to get on the antiviral, and I made it through the night with Nyquil the first few nights, and then switched to Tylenol PM, and finally last night, nothing. I haven't taken the Neurotin so far. Actually, I kept Gold Bond Powder on the rash for the burning, and it really helped. It was all I had on hand that first bad night. I worry that it will be back again before I can get the vaccine. Does anybody know what the issue with minimum age to get it? One friend who is 53 was told by United Health that she had to be 60 and to blame that on the AMA. WebMD suggests it for 50 and over. I see many people on this site who are in their 20's. Why can't it be given earlier to avoid the agony and even danger to our health?
Barbara in Kerrville Tx

Kerrville, TX

#121 Jan 14, 2012
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if any of you are having a problem with anger.
I'm going into my 10th week of pain and having a problem with it. It seems to close at hand. I know that the pain has brought this on. The area of pain is the left side of my face and scalp. It also is in my mouth on the left side and went into my ear. I've lost some hearing for my left ear. Boy am I tried of the pain. I talked to my doctor the other day and he thinks I will have at least two more months of pain.
Help
Mix

United States

#122 Jan 14, 2012
Well, im 27 years old and have shingels for the first time.. It has never itched but burned like crazy. I have had the symptoms for a week but in about the last 3 days a rash has appered. It has slowly turned from an irritating burn to a beep throbbing pain that goes all the way to the bone ( its on the side of my boob around to my back) im having a hard time sleeping I feel run down, and sence im so young people treat me like im deseased. My br didnt give me any pain meds just a prescription of valtrex. I guess my question is, will the pain get worse before it gets better. I keep thinking that it wont get any worse but every morning I wake up its worse.. Will it just get worse and worse for the next 3 weeks? Help..
Jules

Verona, WI

#123 Jan 15, 2012
Mix wrote:
Well, im 27 years old and have shingels for the first time.. It has never itched but burned like crazy. I have had the symptoms for a week but in about the last 3 days a rash has appered. It has slowly turned from an irritating burn to a beep throbbing pain that goes all the way to the bone ( its on the side of my boob around to my back) im having a hard time sleeping I feel run down, and sence im so young people treat me like im deseased. My br didnt give me any pain meds just a prescription of valtrex. I guess my question is, will the pain get worse before it gets better. I keep thinking that it wont get any worse but every morning I wake up its worse.. Will it just get worse and worse for the next 3 weeks? Help..
Hello Mix...Your symptoms and pain sound so much like mine that I had to reply. I started in August with back pain then awful burning, but no itching like you. After 5 days the rash appeared and I saw an ER doc who gave me Acyclovir, Gabapentin, Prednisone & Tylenol 3. I remained on the Gabapentin & Tylenol 3 for 3 months. I also added Melatonin at night to try to get some sleep. I weaned myself off the Gabapentin due to side effects that I (& my family) didn't want to tolerate any longer. I still use Advil & Tylenol 3 (occasionally) to help with the pain I have now. My pain varies from sharp surface burning to a deep throbbing chest pain. It is NOT constant like I had in the early stages and I'm so thankful for that. I am left with substantial numbness in the area which is apparently from nerve damage, but it's not a big issue since I can manage the pain.

If I could offer you advice it would be to see your doc again to get medication for nerve pain. If you are able, rest..rest...and more rest. It may be difficult to eat well and pamper yourself, but please try. It will help your body heal. You will get through this and in the meantime use this forum as a support system. It helps to know you're not alone in dealing with shingles.

You're in my thoughts...
Jules

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shingles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mother has CHRONIC nerve pain from Shingles (Sep '06) Thu nadiaqueen 71
Flu like symptoms? How long will they last (Nov '13) Thu Forestdweller 11
Eye itching Oct 14 prdgma3 1
Study: Herpes and Shingles Can Co-Infect Nerves... (Mar '14) Oct 13 Lindi 3
recurring shingles (Feb '09) Oct 9 angelic 816
Shingles....repeat shingles....phn....numbness.... Oct 4 317bossyaussie 13
Continuous Shingles Oct 4 Gail 2

Shingles People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE