Shingles recovery
MaryAnn

United States

#225 Jan 14, 2013
I'm 35, recovering from the shingles going on week 4, I have it on the right side of my face. It's starting to dry up, but the the the pain and itching is so intense I want to rip my face off! I just noticed that my lip is swelling up, is it possible to get shingles again right after having them? Everyday is different, I just want to be myself again, don't like to be on meds, and feel like they're not doing much good anyway.
Is there a cream I can apply to my face so it's not so dry? And when can I start wearing make-up again? This is the worst thing ever!!
lori

Topeka, KS

#226 Jan 19, 2013
MaryAnn wrote:
I'm 35, recovering from the shingles going on week 4, I have it on the right side of my face. It's starting to dry up, but the the the pain and itching is so intense I want to rip my face off! I just noticed that my lip is swelling up, is it possible to get shingles again right after having them? Everyday is different, I just want to be myself again, don't like to be on meds, and feel like they're not doing much good anyway.
Is there a cream I can apply to my face so it's not so dry? And when can I start wearing make-up again? This is the worst thing ever!!
I first noticed my spots on the left side of my temple/face area. Immediately went to doctor and started me up on Valtrex. I was on meds within 24 hours of being diagnosed. It spread a little to my left check and eyebrow area. My eyebrow swells a little. Still on pain meds. Mine doesnt hurt as much as it does itch and the numbness in that area. I too am wondering about wearing any kind of makeup. My blisters are scabbed but dont want to do anything to irritate it., Also wondering about getting hair color. I have two small areas on the edge of my hairline close to my face. Any thoughts on makeup and getting hair cut and color. Hat enot wearing makeup for my job.
Hank

Fort Myers, FL

#227 Jan 19, 2013
Mary Ann & Lori--get Atarax from your Doctor--it's industrial strength anti-itch--go back read my posts from Sept'10--I've had PHN for 30 months now--but I remember the itch was just below skin but unreachable!--HHHjr and h3jr and triplehjr are my handles on this thread--
Hank
Shingles Make Me Cry

United States

#228 Jan 19, 2013
elio wrote:
I had shingles for 3 months now and it has given me neuropothy in my foot. I need a cane or crutch. The pain is very bad and has been for 3 months. I have been given neurotin, lyrica, and morhpine, nothing helps the pain. I have just started sympathetic nerve blocks. Anyone else had anything like this i cannot wait til it ends.
Every day I cry from the pain and frustration. I am 70 years old. It's in my foot too. I am on neurotin now, and that's all. No pain meds.. but i need to find something else to make me comfortable. Compression works I am getting a compression machine and see if that helps. I am sad and depressed that nothing is working to get rid of the pain totatlly. I get a little relief but its not much.
Cyndi

Port Richey, FL

#229 Jan 24, 2013
I have been battling shingles for 7 weeks now and believe me its the worse pain and suffering I have ever gone through!!! I actually thought I was dying at times... PAIN PAIN PAIN,Headache, sick to stomach, not eating,totally exhausted, sweats, shaking,dizzy.I am finally able to sleep and the pain is almost gone, but the exhaustion is still hanging on. Dr says it could be months to get back to normal... Everyone is different, but the effects are still the same. Hopefully I'm on my road to recovery!!
Hairy

Longview, WA

#230 Jan 26, 2013
James wrote:
I am 68 and have had Shingles for 6 weeks now in my head, neck and shoulder. The pain defied all pain-killers including morphine but, thank God, it has now eased out of my head and is in my neck only. I am taking just Tylenol now which takes the edge off the pain. But here's my question. I have now started to feel great fatigue all the time. I am getting plenty of sleep but I'm always feeling tired. Has anyone else experienced this as a Shingle's symptom and if so what did you do to regain your energy?
James: I too am 68 year old male now in two months into it. Luckily I had acyclovir on hand for a small lip cold sore pop up once in every five years. I started taking these immediately when the first lesions appeared on my upper back and L upper arm (self-diagnosed). GP confirmed shingles and doubled my acyclovir, also presc. Oxycodone for pain, which offers relief in four-five hour stretch. Relentless, intense pain accompanied the attack, most intense in brain/scalp L hemisphere and down brain stem into L shoulder to elbow. After a week I lost use of my L shoulder entirely but mobility of elbow and hand were unaffected except for few blisters.
I recently retired and have stressed about this and the many unmet expectations of my family. As an honest-to-goodness type A personality I have for fifty years averaged maybe five hours of continuous sleep and this habit continues. Best news: my arm has regained full range of motion after 6 weeks of disability, then depending on my beloved wife to tie my footware, for example.I stopped acyclovir after 6 weeks--two weeks after the blisters dried up. I never experienced intense itchiness. I continue to take half doses of Oxcodone for peripheral nerve damage in upper arm and neck and take Naproxin and aspirin for inflamation. If one reads the fine print on otc aspirin it reveals that Rhyes Syndrome has been linked to its use by youngsters that have/had chickenpox. I tolerate enteric-coated aspirin well so switch from Naproxin after a few days because Naproxin will cause liver damage over time. Yeah, I know that the liver, unlike some organs, does repair itself over time. I read earlier in this forum about ladys' menstrual cycles going haywire due to the damnable Zoster (herpes) virus, so I ask my frankly-speaking male colleagues/victims about the ignored "elephant in the bedroom" topic: Has your potency in bed suffered partial or complete failure? Has it recovered? How long did it take to regain normal performance? I'm walking 2 miles or more every day now but sleep is as usual--5 hours max. Best wishes for total, speedy and enduring recovery to each forum member.
Debrann

Toledo, OH

#231 Jan 27, 2013
Acupuncture is one of the best known of the alternative therapies. The FDA has approved acupuncture treatments. Many people have insurance coverage for acupuncture.

病cupuncture stimulates the release of pain-relieving endorphins

病cupuncture influences the release of neurotransmitters, substances that transmit nerve impulses to the brain

病cupuncture influences the autonomic nervous system

病cupuncture stimulates circulation

病cupuncture influences the electrical currents of the body
Janet Fl

Lakeland, FL

#232 Jan 31, 2013
perri wrote:
I am an acctive 79 yrs. old woman,, conracted shingles on my back and breast three weeks ago and it's been hell - I've been given pain killers that don't work for long , but I need something to help me sleep at night - My Doc prescribed Zolpidem 10 mgs, but it didn't work at all. I've seen Terrasil advertised as a cure for chickenpox pain, etc. and now on this forum a painfree vest. Does any of this really work?
My doctor said my shingles were healing, but I doen't know what that means because the pain is constant.
I am 59 and have recently been blessed with shingles also on my breast and my back. I took matters into my own hands, thinking I had a pulled muscle in my back...I proceeded to put Bengay on it and I also took Tylenol for the pain. But to my dismay the dreaded rash appeared!! Seeking medical advise at that point, I was told told it was SHINGLES. I then received a prescription for Famciclovir 500MG,Qty.15,one every 8 hours and 1 refill. Yes the pain is unbearable at times and the rash is very itchy. I have taken my medication as directed, using Calamine Lotion for the rash, Tylenol and I continue to apply the Bengay to the location of pain on my back(WHILE APPLYING THE BENGAY TO THE AREA OF PAIN....DO NOT LET IT TOUCH YOUR RASH AS IT WILL ONCE AGAIN IRRITATE THE AREA)All of these have worked wonderfully for me. The rash has almost gone and the pain has started to withdraw. I plan to refill my Famciclovir again just to be on the safe side. I suffered for just over a week and am on the mend...fingers crossed. My wish for you is to not suffer for too much longer and to be on the road to a quick recovery.I hope this info was helpful to you.. Always Thinking and Praying for Anyone who is Suffering with Shingles especially you. Oh and get lots of rest....Good Luck
nikki Nottingham uk

Grays, UK

#233 Feb 2, 2013
developed shingles on 7th Jan after first a cold and then winter vomiting virus. Shingles along nerve paths from back to stomach .. pain excuriating .. even with meds. Frist week I slept, totally lost the week .. next week was still out of it but did at lest get out of bed. Third week in decided i needed to be back at work (in education,term starting etc) and found i could only manage a couple of hours and somedays have had to stay in bed. My head is woolly and i seem to have lost intelligence. My biggest complaint .. apart from the pain is the fatigue .. does anyone know when this will improve?.. i have to think about even simple tasks but am so tired i find myself falling asleep at a moment's notice. Due back at doc in 2 weeks but am fearful of developing ME or PVS. Help and ideas would be greatfully appreciated. I know stress doesn't help but i cannot afford not to work.
nikki Nottingham uk

Grays, UK

#234 Feb 2, 2013
another q ... when will my sense of taste and appetite return? the only food i can taste is picked red cabbage !!!... are there any supplements or vitamins you'd recommend. I appreciate feeling grim is my body's way of telling me to i need to heal but on my days .. i wish it was over.
carrie

Morrisville, PA

#235 Feb 7, 2013
I just got diagnosed with shingles I am a very thin 33 y/o whi has been under excrutiatingly large amounts of stress this past 6months i had the burning/neuro pain on my leg 1 week ago and noticed the rash 3 days ago its confined to a 4'x4' area on my right thigh. I work in a hospital and they made me leave and cant come back till they are scabbed over/healed started famvir today...how many days should i expect to have to wait the pain is horrible but i need ti go back to work, afraid of losing my job because i used all my FMLA time last May for back surgery, on top of the stress i also have torn cart-ledge in my hip that needs surgery next month....i think i caught it fairly early..should i expect it to spread? at what stage is the pain the worst? can i be around babies (1 & older)if theyve had the c/pox vaccine? when should i expect to be healed and what are some ways i can speed the recovery time? Do steroids help? tanning? desperate to scab over and return to work...any answers?
James

San Gabriel, CA

#236 Feb 7, 2013
I've had the shingles for three months now.
The worst sores were in my mouth, and I've had some sores on my back as well.

Olive Leaf Extract has helped, but if I take too much it makes me feel sick to my stomach and it stops helping.

Currently I take 200 mg acyclovir capsules once or twice a day.

The San Francisco Swish is good for the oral sores.
It's a mixture of nystatin, tetracycline, benadryl, and xylocaine. I thank God for xylocaine.

Intense stress seems to cause immediate eruptions of sores. I had a bad outbreak that broke out over about 5 hours and then cleared up again in about 3 days.
Hairy

Longview, WA

#237 Feb 8, 2013
Has anyone on this site agreed to a post-shingles- outbreak vaccination? My neurologist is attempting to convince me to agree to this, which is, to me, counter-intuitive, since the virus already has already lived within me for more than 6 decades with only one shingles attack and occasional small cold sores on my upper lip. I'm aware that my immune system is in a constant struggle with this so-called Zoster (herpes)virus for dominance but don't understand the benefit of inducing more of this virus into my body by vaccination. She claims that the vaccination will reduce the severity of any future shingles attack. Any experienced, impartial advice about this Zoster virus vaccination will help me decide one way or the other.
Triplehjr

Fort Myers, FL

#238 Feb 8, 2013
I've had phn for 30months now--gabapentin keeps it in check--my neurologist says as soon as this leaves me I need to get shingles vaccine
Hairy

Longview, WA

#239 Feb 9, 2013
Shingles victims, if you are unaware or considering the approved vaccine for shingles, copy and paste this URL into your browser to access this USA Food and Drug Administration website:
http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vac...
Lorna

Norwich, UK

#240 Feb 11, 2013
This the fifth time I've had shingles,I am in so much pain.i have been put on to lyrics 50 mg and 800 mg Aciclovir five times a day.i have been on these for a least 5 days now but still have pain.Any suggestions for pain relief as the tablets I received from the doctor are not working.
cire

Dublin, Ireland

#241 Feb 11, 2013
Does anyone have experience of using Terrasil to treat Shingles which has been with for 12 months?
nikki Nottingham uk

Grays, UK

#242 Feb 13, 2013
my Doc prescribed Gabapentin and am now on the reducing dose part of the regime. Also taking co-coadol for pain. 4 weeks in i am a mess. Pain only contained when i first take pain killers, then when ready for next dose i can hardly stand. I am still so tired I am sleeping 16 hours a day some days. Have gone back to work but head is so fuzzy it is a nightmare, and I am coming home again after a couple of hours to sleep. My job is stressful and i think it is adding to the symptoms.
Went back to doc last week and he said I was ambitious in thinking i'd be well so soon, and to take things easy and be guided by how i feel. Not much help when I need to be back at work.
Does any one have any natural remedies they can recommend?
I really hate feeling this lifeless.
James

San Gabriel, CA

#243 Feb 14, 2013
nikki Nottingham uk wrote:
my Doc prescribed Gabapentin and am now on the reducing dose part of the regime. Also taking co-coadol for pain. 4 weeks in i am a mess. Pain only contained when i first take pain killers, then when ready for next dose i can hardly stand. I am still so tired I am sleeping 16 hours a day some days. Have gone back to work but head is so fuzzy it is a nightmare, and I am coming home again after a couple of hours to sleep. My job is stressful and i think it is adding to the symptoms.
Went back to doc last week and he said I was ambitious in thinking i'd be well so soon, and to take things easy and be guided by how i feel. Not much help when I need to be back at work.
Does any one have any natural remedies they can recommend?
I really hate feeling this lifeless.
You could try a chiropractor who practices nutrition and natural remedies. They are the kinds of doctors that some medical doctors might not take seriously. Such doctors have helped me.

Olive Leaf Extract and/or Saint John's Wort might help; both have helped me.

If you have bad nerve pain (neuralgia), you could try neuralgia drops that you mix in water. You might only find such drops from a doctor like I mentioned.

Stress can definitely make things worse, and it has for me.
23 year old lady

Saint Louis, MO

#244 Feb 26, 2013
I'm 23 and I have shingles I whole back hurts and it makes me feel as if I'm going to die at a very early age I have no other health problems I've had it a week and its horrible its on the right side of my back and right under arm :(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shingles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bumps still present after pain and scabs recede (Jun '12) Sat Sassy-71 14
Shingles on two sides? (May '07) Nov 17 connieandtaz 213
Flu like symptoms? How long will they last (Nov '13) Nov 16 Linda Liddle 27
No itching (Feb '13) Nov 16 TripleHjr 6
I think I have Shingles, do I really need to go... (Dec '09) Nov 16 Van 42
shingles in younger people (Aug '09) Nov 13 JenRow1092 8
Elderberry Juice Cured Shingles (Mar '17) Nov 2 charlietae 3
More from around the web