Shingles recovery
First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Eilish Plunkett

Dublin, Ireland

#1 Jul 17, 2007
I am a 60 year old woman who has just finished a batch of Shingles. The rash and pain was awful for 5 weeks but now the rash is fading and I have less pain. I do however have constant shivers, even in warm weather. Is this a normal after affect of Shingles or could it be otherwise related? Any help appreciated. Thanks
Florence in Pennsylvania

Phoenixville, PA

#2 Aug 15, 2007
I am also a 60 year old woman just finishing the 5th week of Shingles. I am still in pain. Just wanted to let you know that I also have constant shivers and it is 90 degrees outside! Can't wait for this to end.
Eilish Plunkett wrote:
I am a 60 year old woman who has just finished a batch of Shingles. The rash and pain was awful for 5 weeks but now the rash is fading and I have less pain. I do however have constant shivers, even in warm weather. Is this a normal after affect of Shingles or could it be otherwise related? Any help appreciated. Thanks
Delwyn

New Zealand

#3 Oct 17, 2008
I am 63 and have shingles as well as the shivers.
Joy

Redmond, WA

#4 Oct 17, 2008
I`m 46 and I have Shingles.Almost 3 weeks now.

The doctor gave me Valtrex.I had a UTI right after I was done with the medicine.I am still very tender,but it`s not as bad now.A friend of mine died on the job .about a month ago and I took it hard.The doctor told me that my emotion`s got the better of me.That this sometime happens.I thought it was chigger bites.The doctor also thinks I`ll be ok soon.I sure hope so.What works for you when the pain really gets to you?
elio

Norwood, MA

#5 Jun 15, 2009
I had shingles for 3 months now and it has given me neuropothy in my foot. I need a cane or crutch. The pain is very bad and has been for 3 months. I have been given neurotin, lyrica, and morhpine, nothing helps the pain. I have just started sympathetic nerve blocks. Anyone else had anything like this i cannot wait til it ends.
Cynthia

Boca Raton, FL

#6 Sep 11, 2009
I am a 40 year old woman and I just finished my 10 DAY Valtrex medication for shingles and I still have the rash. Just want to know if anyone knows when the rash will go away??? Should it be gone after 10 days of Valtrex or does it take time after the medication is finished because I still have the rash. ANYONE HELP PLEASE... I need to know how long the recovery will take or if I need more medication.
sheila

Ajax, Canada

#7 Oct 3, 2009
Florence in Pennsylvania wrote:
I am also a 60 year old woman just finishing the 5th week of Shingles. I am still in pain. Just wanted to let you know that I also have constant shivers and it is 90 degrees outside! Can't wait for this to end.
<quoted text>
Answer:

Do Laser and Infra red therapy and accupuncture.
It works!!!
mary jane danyow

Andover, MA

#8 Nov 4, 2009
Cynthia wrote:
I am a 40 year old woman and I just finished my 10 DAY Valtrex medication for shingles and I still have the rash. Just want to know if anyone knows when the rash will go away??? Should it be gone after 10 days of Valtrex or does it take time after the medication is finished because I still have the rash. ANYONE HELP PLEASE... I need to know how long the recovery will take or if I need more medication.
Hi,

I am 57 and am just starting to recover from shingles after about 3 months. The pain, itching and burning were terrible....I was prescribed lidocaine patches, and neurotin for the discomfort. I am just beginning to wean off from the neurotin....it has been a long haul. I also still get cold....a hot bath is the only thing that helps me.....there is hope....I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Good luck in your recovery!
survivor

Canada

#9 Nov 17, 2009
Cynthia wrote:
I am 53 years old and had the shingles rash on my chest and back. Pain killers didn't work and the rash didn't go away until I started to use a vest that a friend told me about. Once I used the vest then the rash started to dry up and I didn't need the pain medications. I bought the vest online at www.painfreevest.com
14 and shingles 2 times

Orem, UT

#10 Nov 17, 2009
I am a lot younger than you guys but I wanted to tell you that I had shingles too. I had them when I was 11 and it was the most painful thing that I can imagine going through. I just had them again and found this thing called vygone. It was the best find of my life. I used to be really worried that I was going to get shingles over and over for the rest of my life and that I would have to deal with all the pain that comes with it. But this vygone thing stopped the pain for me and stopped the blisters from moving around my body.
ashley

Durban, South Africa

#11 Feb 1, 2010
a friend of mine is currently recovering from shingles and reading your comments has really given us some hope and comfort. i would like to know if the infected areas will be scared for ever?
JoAnne-EdinaMN

AOL

#12 Feb 18, 2010
I have just completed my 3rd. week of shingles--one side of scalp, forehead and around the eye. Pain and blisters gone. Have itching on forehead and over eyelid---using Millcreek's paba dry ski lotion--seems to sooth and cool area. Still have some soreness in these areas...plus the pink spots on forehead--when does that disappear? Or is that a scaring effect?
JoAnne-EdinaMN

AOL

#13 Feb 18, 2010
Just recovering from 3rd. wk. of shingles.(Had blisters, pain, purple color all in one area-right side of scalp,forehead, eyelid over eye & top of nose bridge). Awful stuff--now it is down to the itching, blisters gone, have pink spots on that sie of forehead, dry skin. Rec. by Dr. Millcreek's Dry Skin Lotion -with paba--seems to cool & sooth area. Wondering if the pink spots will disappear or is this scaring?
perri

Stuart, FL

#14 Feb 24, 2010
I am an acctive 79 yrs. old woman,, conracted shingles on my back and breast three weeks ago and it's been hell - I've been given pain killers that don't work for long , but I need something to help me sleep at night - My Doc prescribed Zolpidem 10 mgs, but it didn't work at all. I've seen Terrasil advertised as a cure for chickenpox pain, etc. and now on this forum a painfree vest. Does any of this really work?
My doctor said my shingles were healing, but I doen't know what that means because the pain is constant.
Fern

Sacramento, CA

#16 Apr 30, 2010
perri wrote:
I am an acctive 79 yrs. old woman,, conracted shingles on my back and breast three weeks ago and it's been hell - I've been given pain killers that don't work for long , but I need something to help me sleep at night - My Doc prescribed Zolpidem 10 mgs, but it didn't work at all. I've seen Terrasil advertised as a cure for chickenpox pain, etc. and now on this forum a painfree vest. Does any of this really work?
My doctor said my shingles were healing, but I doen't know what that means because the pain is constant.
Be very careful taking Zolpidem while you have singles. I am currently suffering from shingles. Suffering is an understatement! I take Zolpidem on a regular basis. I took pain meds and Zolpidem Monday night. I woke up 1 hour later in excruciating pain. I was sleepy but really hurting. I went to my computer to research ways to ease the pain. When I stood to leave my computer, apparently I fell asleep and toppled over backwards. I have a huge bruise on my hip and bruises on my arm, but I wasn't seriously hurt.

I have never been in as much pain as I am with these shingles. They've tried vicodin and norco. Neither of them is effective. It's excruciating. I've been in pain a week and understand I could be in pain for as much as a few weeks more. It is pure hell. I don't abuse pain medications (I'm terrified of addiction), but I now understand how people with severe pain can become addicted -- they take more medication to try to get some relief.

I hope you all are feeling better by now!!!
Mihaela

Portland, OR

#17 May 25, 2010
I am 41 years old and for the last 3 weeks i have been dealing with this rash that moves from one side of the body to another, burning and itching and shivers like words can not explain. I went to the doctors 1.5 weeks ago and gave me no diagnosis, just some cortisone cream that does not help. I had lower back pain few weeks ago, and the first rash came in the middle of lower back, then spreaded all over hips and tummy. The actual pain is not as persistant but the rash keeps spreading and burning and itching and the shivers are still there. Can this be shingles?
Stacey Brown

Jacksonville, FL

#18 May 26, 2010
I have the same problem you have. Have your skin cleared up and did the itching stop. I caught the shingles Mid February. What stage are you in.
Ani

Valparaiso, IN

#19 Jun 22, 2010
Mihaela wrote:
I am 41 years old and for the last 3 weeks i have been dealing with this rash that moves from one side of the body to another, burning and itching and shivers like words can not explain. I went to the doctors 1.5 weeks ago and gave me no diagnosis, just some cortisone cream that does not help. I had lower back pain few weeks ago, and the first rash came in the middle of lower back, then spreaded all over hips and tummy. The actual pain is not as persistant but the rash keeps spreading and burning and itching and the shivers are still there. Can this be shingles?
After 3 weeks I'm just getting over a shingles attack. I'm 74 years old. I was diagnosed first by my wife and thereafter by a GP and a dermatologist. I was treated with 1000 mg of Valacyclovir for 10 days. Treatment started 3 days after the blisters (about 12) appeared. Symptoms have been tiredness, appetite loss, a sensation of upper abdominal fullness and pain in the lowest medial corner of my right rib cage. No itching or pain in the blisters. I treated the blisters, as soon as they appeared, with a water Barrows solution (aluminum citrate) which is an astringent. I think it helped me in not experiencing itching.
My understanding is that shingles shows only on one side of the body at a time. Not on both sides of the body at the same time. You probably need to see a dermatologist. it does not sound like shingles. Best of luck.
Nancy Davis

Cambridge, OH

#20 Jul 9, 2010
JoAnne-EdinaMN wrote:
I have just completed my 3rd. week of shingles--one side of scalp, forehead and around the eye. Pain and blisters gone. Have itching on forehead and over eyelid---using Millcreek's paba dry ski lotion--seems to sooth and cool area. Still have some soreness in these areas...plus the pink spots on forehead--when does that disappear? Or is that a scaring effect?
use Zostrix.....It worked for me
Nancy Davis

Cambridge, OH

#21 Jul 9, 2010
Use zostrix - it worked for me

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shingles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shingles on two sides? (May '07) May 24 DEG 185
Best dating and support community for shingles May 22 herpeshub 7
recurring shingles (Feb '09) May 19 Maholcomb 834
Has anyone ever had shingles on the bottom of foot (Jul '10) May 19 jenn 44
Neck stiffness? (Sep '09) May 19 TanjaC 48
got shingles for the first time May 18 jenn 2
Shingles with abdominal swelling (Dec '12) May 18 jenn 76
More from around the web