Mother has CHRONIC nerve pain from Sh...
Roxanne

Sicklerville, NJ

#42 May 29, 2012
Diane - Chicago wrote:
I'm 51 and have had chronic shingles for about 6 years. I've been told too young for chronic shingles. I get an outbreak once a month on my right backside. The pain is horrible. Terrible back pain. While I can't do anything for that, once the blisters appear, I use cortizone cream for the itching and neosporin + pain for the pain. I know there are studies for people over 60 for chronic shingles, but I'm too young to join the group. I wish I could.
I am reading your posting many years after you wrote it i hope you are doing better I am also 51 now but i was told i had chonic shinngle about 10 years ago I have been on veltrex for that long at 1 a day at nite it suppresses it from blistering unless I miss one dose and then the next day a blister also though out the years for reasons unknown maybe a little adding stress or a cold any thing that compromises my immune system I get pain and or blisters at those time which i can remember happening twice they up the dose to 2 500mg 3 times a day just wanted to say were I've been but now since January of this year i have been have horrible pain on the upper right side of my body going to the back or coming from the back don't know which one have no blisters just pain have had every test you can think of fro GI problems nothing do show somethings going on with my immune system but they can't pin point it my white blood count is a little high been the way the whole time wondering if it could be the shingles and if they moved I forgot to tell you the the original shot was on my right side just above my buttocks not on my side I heard you can get shingles in different areas I don't know if this is true or not have you found any help since you posted this?
mary

Minden, NV

#43 May 29, 2012
Diane - Chicago wrote:
I'm 51 and have had chronic shingles for about 6 years. I've been told too young for chronic shingles. I get an outbreak once a month on my right backside. The pain is horrible. Terrible back pain. While I can't do anything for that, once the blisters appear, I use cortizone cream for the itching and neosporin + pain for the pain. I know there are studies for people over 60 for chronic shingles, but I'm too young to join the group. I wish I could.
I have had chronic shingles for 36 years- an company called natures force makes an oil called Shingles no more and one called PHN NO MORE for nerve pain- These oils are rubbed into the bottom of your feet- They really help a lot.
rick

Wichita Falls, TX

#44 Jun 8, 2012
I had chronic shingles pain and used bandaid spray which worked well to eliminate pain.

Quite the miricle I was looking for.
JodiP

Auberry, CA

#45 Jun 15, 2012
I am 24 yrs old and have had shingles consistantly since I was 18 yrs old. There is nothing wrong with me- no immune suppressing diseases, etc. My body just cannot produce the antibody (varacella) to keep shingles away. I have gotten the antibody as a shot ("new shingles vaccination") but nothing works since my body does not support it. I have had it 18 times over the years, all over my body- never once in the same place. I have lost feeling in part of my side and am deaf in my left ear because it killed my hearing nerve. I will tell you that I have triend every medication and therapy in the book, from creams, pills, vapors, vitamins, and patches, and nothing has truly worked to completely keep the pain from the post herpatic neuraglia at bay. The only thing I can say that has worked the best is the medication, Neurontin, because it goes straight to the nerves, in combination with a liboderm patch. The patches will numb the area topically while the neurontin gets it from the inside. Neurontin has to be prescribed by your dr, but I will say that it has worked better then anything else and I have been on it for several years. I never had any luck with topical creams, and I tried numerous kinds, but it really all depends on the person. Pain killers also never worked for me. I had a dr early on whose solution to all my problems was prescribing me vicodin... pain killers of that nature do not help with nerve pain! I would try to explore the different medication options and see if neurontin is an option. Another one dr's prescribe often is Lyrica, but I did not like they way it made me feel. I wish anyone who goes thru this the very best, because I know it is not easy. I fight the pain on a daily basis!

I would like to add to this post because I came down with shingles for the first time. I'm 60 years old and in good health. The shingles is on the back of my right thigh. There is no real problem with that but the nerve at my tailbone was very painful. Unrelenting. As in Keri's report, my doctor gave me Vicodin and Neurontin. The Vicodin did nothing to lessen the pain. When my doctor raised the amount of Neurontin I was taking it took the pain away immediately. I stopped taking the Vicodin. It's been a couple days and that excruciating pain has not returned even a little bit.
JodiP

Auberry, CA

#46 Jun 15, 2012
Just diagnosed with shingles. Hope it doesn't get worse. The pain in the nerve at the bottom of my spine was intense and unrelenting. After receiving meds for Acyclovir, Vicodin and Neurontin I found that the Vicodin did nothing to relieve the excruciating pain. Dr. raised the amount of Neurontin from one in am and pm to 2 in am, 1 in afternoon and 2 at bedtime. Viola! Pain is gone. Hope it's gone forever.
Jerry

Winchester, VA

#47 Jul 7, 2012
I got Shingles about 3 months ago and was using something called Duoderm gel on an area nearby and got some on the Shingle area. I was pleasantly surprised to find the burning and itching subsided so I rubbed it all over the area. It did not stop all discomfort but did reduce the discomfort.The burning and itching have largely gone away with time but pain in the nerves varies in intensity as it continues. It appears to be some type of damage so that's how i arrived on this page.When it gets bad I still apply the Duoderm gel and it temporarily subdues it. I am just one sample and have no way of knowing if it will help everyone. Oh, I was using the Duoderm to cover and protect scratches on my skin. It can be purchased at Amazon. Good Luck to you all. Jerry

l carnitine

Belgrade, Serbia

#48 Jul 12, 2012
L-carnitine is simply not advisable to a individual that is usually on cancers treatments such as doxorubicin. The reason is , it does guard the coronary heart tissue coming from the hazardous effects of doxorubicin, and so minimizes its performance.
Because L-carnitine participates in the metabolic activities, a few delicate, unpleasant happenings can be all natural. Many individuals experience sick as well as light headed within the earliest period of the ingestion. Generally, these negative effects go away as the body system becomes familiar with it.
Lots of individuals who definitely are on standard dose of L-carnitine are afflicted with repeated body break outs, nausea or vomiting, looseness of the bowels and even anxiety.
The health advantages of L-carnitine tend to be considerably more than the possible dangers on your own entire wellbeing. It's secure and stays that way, provided that you use it in recommended doasage amounts. The likelihood of unwanted effects of L-carnitine develops when you no longer make use of it as instructed. Consequently, firmly stick to the dose recommendations as well as recommendations distributed by your doctor, in order to discover just about all the advantages of L-carnitine safely and securely.
http://www.thevitaminmag.com/acetyl-l-carniti...
Anonymous

Arlington, TX

#49 Jul 18, 2012
I was prescribed Nuerontin and while it does seem to help somewhat, it also caused my hair to start thinning real bad. I asked my doctor about this and was told that it was not surprising because of all the different medications I had taken while in hospital for viral meningitis and what some refer to as the kissing disease. All came about because of the bout with shingles. I stopped taking Nuerontin and was told to take Ibuprofin.

Someone told me that rubbing the bottoms of your feet with vicks vaporub works well. Will try that.
My name is Barbara

Sterling, PA

#50 Jul 31, 2012
July, 2012
My son Roger had Shingles, and he was in a lot of pain, so I did my own research and found something that mite help all the people that has shingles and lots of pain. It's called GABA, and it is natural and you can buy it at swansons vitamins.
My son could not sleep and lots of pain, once he started taking
this GABA, he was different person.
Good Luck
Barbara
carol

Van Nuys, CA

#51 Sep 27, 2012
Robbie wrote:
My Mom has a chronic nerve pain from shingles, her nerve endings are inflamed and she is in PAIN most of the time, she has had shingles for over a year She can't take anything with nacotics in it because it gives her horribly hallucination. Please help!
Mu husband has Shingles and as you know it is very painful. After the rash went away, we thought of Acupuncture. This has helped with the nerve pain. He has had 3 treatments so far and said the pain is not as sharp as it was at the beginning. We are hoping that the pain will go away with a few more treatments. He is still in pain but it is not as bad as it once was. He is also taking Neurontin plus a pain medicine. I hope this is helpful for your mother.
Rose Lankford

Mountain Home, AR

#52 Oct 8, 2012
Robbie wrote:
My Mom has a chronic nerve pain from shingles, her nverve endings are inflamed and she is in PAIN most of the time, she has had shingles for over a year She can't take anything with nacotics in it because it gives her horribly hallucination. Please help!
I recently had shingles. After 6 wks dealing with my dr, I went to an herbalist who told me right away I had shingles. I now have PHN and am taking Lyrica. I have been wondering how long I will have to take this. Will I ever get over it?
Marie-claire Brock

Montréal, Canada

#53 Nov 27, 2012
I had shingles in April , as soon as I turned 60 and again oct.31. The first time wasn't so bad but this time the pain is unbearable the shingles were on my left cheek ( not the one on your face). The pain started after the blisters and goes down my leg it also goes across my lower back down the other leg to the knee. I can't sleep, hard to drive because the pain is terrible when I'm sitting or laying on it. I am taking OxyContin for a back injury and have been for years but it does not help me at all for this pain. I'm lost, my family and husband don't understand how I feel. I think that they think I'm over acting. I'm so tired and it so much pain all the time that I will be happy and looking forward to dying. I know this sounds awful and I would never do anything to end it but I'm truly looking forward to death. I have a hard time walking upstairs I have to lift my leg to move it off the couch. I'm a runner and love walking so this is very hard on me. I am/was a young 60 with 12 grandchildren a mother of 6 my youngest is only 13. I have always done things with them even after my back injury but this nerve pain has left me with nothing to look forward too. My doctor says Iit can last for life but has not had me try anything. How do your nerves run? Does the pain go down one leg and across your back to the other? Also if anyone can tell me what they think is the best action to take. Remember I already take 200 mg a day of OxyContin
lionlover

Cleveland, TN

#54 Jan 6, 2013
I agree with you! I have used some also and it is the only thing that helps the pain!!
lionlover

Cleveland, TN

#55 Jan 6, 2013
I also think Neurotin works - short term... and I did the same thing, not willing at first, but it is the only thing that helps!! I am ready to pack up and move to Colorado!!
a 20 yr sufferer wrote:
I know many are going to poo poo this advice, but here goes. I have tried them all. You are right that Neurontin helps. It quit working for me after 3 yrs. I was at my wits end. Don't even get me started on that Lyrica junk I was prescribed.
Finally someone said have you tried marijuana? Well no,it is illegal and I am too old for jail.
I was given some by a person I will never name. It changed my life. When I am broke out and in pain (Mine is the touching the stove kind)I smoke it or make pills from it. The recipe is on the internet for the pills if smoking it is not for you. It is easy to put down when you are well, just try that with the narcotics.
I also use immune system boosting herbs, also on the internet. I treat with hot baths, rest and funny movies. Laughter throws natural pain relievers into your system and improves mood. So get the funniest you can find(blazing saddles is a good one)
We all know time is the only thing that heals the shingles until the next time they come. I hope some of you try this. It changed everything for me.
koradora

London, Canada

#56 Jan 6, 2013
I JUST NOTICED YOUR POST AS AM NOT USUALLY IN HERE AS I CAN NEVER FIND ANY ANSWERS AS I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING.4 DAYS AGO I DECIDED TO TRY ANOTHER CREAM-ITS BEEN 7 LONG YEARS OF PAIN FOR MYSELF.PLEASE HAVE UR MOM TRY THIS AND I HOPE AND PRAY SHE WILL HAVE THE SAME RESULTS AS MYSELF/PLEASE EMAIL ME IF IT WORKS FOR HER.ITS NON PRESCRIPTION -I LIVE IN Canada and i think you may have to get on the net/ LIVRELEIF ----thats the name-on the box it says for nerve pain releif--i am so happy i just want to dance-i am 70 years old and happy as a clam. email--capebretoner@hotmail.ca ------Judy
lanie

Lithonia, GA

#57 Feb 16, 2013
Shingles is the worst pain in 68 yrs of life. I guess I'm new to it @ 5 wks and the thought of yrs is insufferable. I have chronic back pain and thought that was the worst pain ever and now; its "met its match." It is misery all day long. Nobody mentioned chills. My prayers are w/us all. 6112
Pablo112

Japan

#58 Feb 16, 2013
Marie-claire Brock wrote:
I had shingles in April , as soon as I turned 60 and again oct.31. The first time wasn't so bad but this time the pain is unbearable the shingles were on my left cheek ( not the one on your face). The pain started after the blisters and goes down my leg it also goes across my lower back down the other leg to the knee. I can't sleep, hard to drive because the pain is terrible when I'm sitting or laying on it. I am taking OxyContin for a back injury and have been for years but it does not help me at all for this pain. I'm lost, my family and husband don't understand how I feel. I think that they think I'm over acting. I'm so tired and it so much pain all the time that I will be happy and looking forward to dying. I know this sounds awful and I would never do anything to end it but I'm truly looking forward to death. I have a hard time walking upstairs I have to lift my leg to move it off the couch. I'm a runner and love walking so this is very hard on me. I am/was a young 60 with 12 grandchildren a mother of 6 my youngest is only 13. I have always done things with them even after my back injury but this nerve pain has left me with nothing to look forward too. My doctor says Iit can last for life but has not had me try anything. How do your nerves run? Does the pain go down one leg and across your back to the other? Also if anyone can tell me what they think is the best action to take. Remember I already take 200 mg a day of OxyContin
Marie,

I hope you are still using this forum because I think your present treatment for phn (shingles after pain) is insufficient to say the least. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming you, but I think your doctor is not taking you seriously enough and you should change or ask for a referral to a neurologist or a pain clinic.

There are a number of treatments available for people who suffer from postherpetic neuralgia and since everyone reacts differently to the medication, you may have to experiment a bit before you find the one best suited for you.

Most doctors will start you on a drug called lyrica, which is used for phn, fibromyalgia, and diabetic nerve pain. Some people such as myself find the side effects too much, but many people can handle it just fine. If you do start taking lyrica, it is important to remember that it may take a month or so until the medication takes effect and your body adjusts to the side effects such as dizziness and sedation.

If that fails, you can try other drugs such as gabapentin (neurontin)which has also worked wonders for many people suffering from phn.

If you don't want to take such strong drugs, however, there are other options such as the relatively new Qutenza(capsaicin) 8% patch which is applied to the area with nerve damage by your doctor. If this works you will have relief for about 3 months, so it's definitely worth a try!

Anyway, first things are first, find a new doctor or get a referral to see a neurologist. Tell them that you want to try one of the methods I have written about and explain the extent of the pain your experiencing. Do not except "there is nothing we can do for you" as an answer; there is hope.

Just remember, 99% of people are relatively pain free within a year and spontaneous remission of phn can happen several years after the prevalence of phn. Also, there are new drugs and methods being researched at present and eventually there will be more options for treatment.

Hang in there. Many of us, including myself, are suffering, but there is hope.
Heather

Niagara Falls, Canada

#59 Mar 3, 2013
I have suffered from nerve damage resulting from having had shingles. I was diagnosed when I was 50 and I am now 62. The pain comes and goes and i have tried every medication on the market for the pain and nothing works. Most of the pain medications prescribed left me with side effects that were horrible, and therefore stopped taking them.
Things that will aggrivate shingles pain are:
alcohol
soda pop
wine
chocolate
stress
The only relief I can get is from Accupuncture Treatments. Taking Vitamin B6/B-12 helps a little.
Posthurpedic Neuralgia has no cure at this time.

Beverly

Chatsworth, GA

#60 Mar 30, 2013
Have you tried astragulus, L-Lynsine, Olive Leaf or Apple Cider Vinegar? Natural supplements and kill viruses. The apple cider vinegar should be placed on the shingles blisters several times a day and will take away the pain. Read up on these.
anewmom

Lebanon, TN

#64 Jun 7, 2013
I had shingles in 1993 back then there was a series of shots you could take. I think there was ten. I was cured after the 3rd shot. I was just wondering if they stopped treating shingles this way and why?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shingles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shingles Sep '18 joe kerns 1
Flu like symptoms? How long will they last (Nov '13) Sep '18 Karen Hadley 29
Shingles on two sides? (May '07) Aug '18 Randy 224
recurring shingles (Feb '09) Aug '18 Terri 883
Shingles with abdominal swelling (Dec '12) Jun '18 ArtChee 156
Shingles = heating pad - try it ! (Dec '08) Jun '18 Ayanna Lea 81
Bumps still present after pain and scabs recede (Jun '12) Jun '18 Pmommyof5 17