I think I have Shingles, do I really need to go to doctor?

Posted in the Shingles Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kbear

Condon, OR

#1 Dec 14, 2009
About a week ago I started having a little pain on my left side rib area, and a small rash appeard on my left side/back, that has a few little trailing dots that go around to front. Husband thought it was poison oak, but no oozing. I now have some shooting pain, but not unbearable. I live out in the boonies, and don't want make a doctor appt. if it will just get better on it's own. What do you think?
BWilchek

Kingston, NY

#2 Dec 21, 2009
Kbear wrote:
About a week ago I started having a little pain on my left side rib area, and a small rash appeard on my left side/back, that has a few little trailing dots that go around to front. Husband thought it was poison oak, but no oozing. I now have some shooting pain, but not unbearable. I live out in the boonies, and don't want make a doctor appt. if it will just get better on it's own. What do you think?
I had the exact symptoms 13 days ago, but on the right side of rib,ovary and hip area, rash started about 3 days after severe pain, ended up being Shngles, I am still no wears towards healing and I would be in alot more pain had I not got the proper meds. Please see your doctor, it does not always get better on its own.
PalmTrees

Tampa, FL

#3 Dec 23, 2009
Kbear wrote:
I was just diagnosed with shingles four days ago. What I understand is that it can get better on its own, but the healing process on the "spots" can be 4 to 6 weeks and the pain can take months to go away. It also can come with fatigue, fever, and other symptoms. I highly suggest you see a doctor. There are anti-viral medicines which may make the shingles heal faster and pain killers to make you more comfortable.

I wish you the best.
CharlyAndy

Paris, France

#4 Dec 30, 2009
Kbear wrote:
DO NOT WAIT ANOTHER DAY! Go to your doctor as soon as you can. The earlier it's caught, the milder the case. It's only going to get worse and since there is treatment, you will not want to wait it out. I have been treated sucessfully with dextropropoxyphène paracétamol and kétoprophene for the pain and, most importantly Pfizer's Lyrica and Roche's Laroxyl for the nerve therapy.
James

Albany, CA

#5 Jul 28, 2011
No, you don't *need* to go see a doctor.
Read up on the condition and determine what you think is best for you.
Take note that the anti-viral medications only say that they *MAY* make the outbreak heal faster. No shingles medication is good enough for the manufacturer to make the claim that it *WILL* shorten the outbreak.
In most cases your doctor will simply prescribe a high dose of an over-the-counter pain killer (something like Ibuprofen) and topical anti-itch creams and sprays, most of which can be bought in any pharmacy without a prescription.
If you can catch the problem in the first day or two before any large blisters form, seeing a doctor might help. After that, all they will do is prescribe generic pain meds.
Becky

Canoga Park, CA

#6 Aug 16, 2011
James wrote:
No, you don't *need* to go see a doctor.
Read up on the condition and determine what you think is best for you.
Take note that the anti-viral medications only say that they *MAY* make the outbreak heal faster. No shingles medication is good enough for the manufacturer to make the claim that it *WILL* shorten the outbreak.
In most cases your doctor will simply prescribe a high dose of an over-the-counter pain killer (something like Ibuprofen) and topical anti-itch creams and sprays, most of which can be bought in any pharmacy without a prescription.
If you can catch the problem in the first day or two before any large blisters form, seeing a doctor might help. After that, all they will do is prescribe generic pain meds.
they gave me a cream that helped it heal much quicker it scabed over i got it at 13 and now in 26 so i cant remember the name but i feel it coming back so worried im a mother now and last time the pain was like nothing i ever felt im just keeping it dry i think that is a good idea also but not to much boy am i worried
Becky

Canoga Park, CA

#7 Aug 16, 2011
if anyone has a temp idea till i go other than keeping it dry im all ears im stressed and it only makes it worse
chandra

Mesa, AZ

#8 Jul 11, 2012
First keep the area clean and odry. Then every night and morning spray the area w apple le cider vinegar and then apply a cream made of coconut oil, vit e, and tea tree oil. U can also try adding turmeric and u can add 1 tsp of the apple cider vinegar to 8 oz of water several times a day. Get some rest and don't worry. It will go away. Do what u can to focus on other things. Hope that helps
Thedude

United States

#9 Aug 11, 2012
Listerene dries out the rash. wipe with a cotton swab and allow to dry twice daily. You will be amazed at the results
Derek

Modesto, CA

#10 Aug 14, 2012
You SHOULD go see your doctor, but do some research on natural remedies that can help you with your shingles..they are all over and some you would not expect.

Medication for shingles can work, but as we all know, medication can carry its' own side effects and just compound your problem.

Derek
http://TreatmentForShinglesNow.com
PPL

Alhambra, CA

#11 Nov 27, 2012
I have shingles. It started out with an itchy shoulder and upper left arm. I have small patches of redness and one patch has little blisters. But it doesn't hurt. Should I take medication or just let it run its course?
vett

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Dec 4, 2012
I wouldn't trust this on my own. GO SEE a doctor . it can get out of control and people have died from it. Although since my doctor in la mirada wont call me back i may die from it anyway. Also why suffer when you don't have to.?? makes no sense. good luck to yo all!
whatever

Providence, RI

#14 Jul 16, 2013
I have shingles, went to the doctor and he said I could take the anti-viral (valtrex). I decided not to, because that only supposedly helps within the first 48 hours. I don't like taking the drug without proven results. I am very tired, the rash itself isn't that big a deal. It will run its course and I'm not worried about it.
whatever

Providence, RI

#15 Jul 16, 2013
Seeing a doctor in and of itself isn't going to heal anything. There is no cure and it's just a virus, like a cold.
tina

Woking, UK

#16 Aug 3, 2013
Kbear wrote:
I think you should see your doctor because if it is shingles then it spreads through your body in a couple days. It's an infection of a nerve so there is a specific area it will affect, it affects a nerve and on a certain side left or right. They say you should get treatment no later than 3 days if you have shingles. I have shingles and i left it for 3 days and it lead onto something worse i got a a swollen lynch node. You should never leave it even if your not sure what it is it could be worse than shingles. Be on the safe side
Shingles suck

Tampa, FL

#17 Aug 31, 2013
tina wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you should see your doctor because if it is shingles then it spreads through your body in a couple days. It's an infection of a nerve so there is a specific area it will affect, it affects a nerve and on a certain side left or right. They say you should get treatment no later than 3 days if you have shingles. I have shingles and i left it for 3 days and it lead onto something worse i got a a swollen lynch node. You should never leave it even if your not sure what it is it could be worse than shingles. Be on the safe side
It's not an infection. It's the same herpes virus as chickenpox and can flare up when your immune system is weak. Once you've had chickenpox, the virus stores itself in your spinal chord. A swollen lymph node is not necessarily a result of the shingles. Its due to the fact that your immune system is trying to fight something off...the virus flare up in this case. Your lymph nodes will swell anytime your body is trying to fight something off, infection, or virus. Yes, anti-virals can help, but the virus still has to work it's course and the anti-virals will only help speed up the process and there is no guarantee of that either.
Russ

Des Plaines, IL

#18 Sep 7, 2013
Go to the Doctor as soon as possible, I have had shingles before, it starts off as a mild pain coming from deep inside you, in my case I always get them on my let inner thigh, same place every time, from there it start's getting redness in the affected area,from there you start getting blister's with a deep aching pain in the area, the pain get's almost unbearable,if you catch it when it just is getting started and you get meds from your doctor right away, then that's a good thing.But don't put it off, if you think it's shingle's go to the doctor.
Chris

Salt Lake City, UT

#19 Sep 22, 2013
Over half of you folk are super panicky sounding. Being all uptight is probably what made you vulnerable to the viruses reactivation in the first place.
Eat healthy, try not to stress, and for the love of god... do not take those strong antivirals and painkillers unless you actually need them.
1. Shingles is on your face
2. Shingles is spreading out of its original breakout area
3. Blisters are present after 4 weeks
4. Pain continues for weeks after the blisters are gone

Could starting the antivirals decrease the length of time you have shingles? Possibly yes. Is it worth the trip and the money and the basically unnecessary drugs? No.. shingles will go away by itself.

Unless you're one of the few people who experience extreme pain, and I mean literally cannot move because it hurts so much, stop being a wuss.

This is coming from the person on their second outbreak. Both times occurred because of high stress... nothing else.
Karen

Allentown, PA

#20 Oct 14, 2013
Thedude wrote:
Listerene dries out the rash. wipe with a cotton swab and allow to dry twice daily. You will be amazed at the results
...I tried this & it does actually work. Also soothes the itch better than some of the other creams & ointments I've tried....plus you smell minty fresh!
Jack

Tamworth, Canada

#21 Oct 28, 2013
Kbear wrote:
I am 13 and just thought about spreading my knowledge on it seeing as though I had it when I was 11! I would highly recommend talking to a doctor before going on any longer. They will most likely give you a prescription but it's better than going through the pain. I'd also be careful with close contact with anyone because it can be contagious! I hope it helped :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shingles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pain managment of shingles (Aug '12) Wed sunydazahed 9
recurring shingles (Feb '09) Wed Gail 818
Shingles: A Common and Painful Virus (Feb '14) Dec 18 Sweepyface 12
Shingles on two sides? (May '07) Dec 18 jenmac 183
Shingles recovery (Jul '07) Dec 10 Jersonel 348
Shingles = HIV? (Aug '07) Dec 8 Senny 23
Neck stiffness? (Sep '09) Nov 29 Heather 45
More from around the web